• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bug spray/repellent options

Jimmy

Eagle Member
I've mostly been golfing in the desert the last few years. Now, I'm in the Northeast and getting eaten alive!
I hate the spray...horrible fumes, gets white shit all over my shoes, clothes, and gear. I saw these plastic fan things at Target that are supposed to work for 12 hours, and clip onto you or your bag. I once go sick from a tick bite, so I try to be careful.

What do you use?

Or, do you just man up and be annoyed and get bug bites?

I've heard the fans work well but I have never used one. I usually use a lighter spray like "family" or "sport" or whatever. Less greasy and smells better. I usually shoot for 5-15% deet to protect from the ticks. More deet than that seems to be overkill for a couple of hours in the woods. I've had good luck with some family style wipes that I got for a buck. It's still a bit early for mosquitoes though so they might not hold up in the sweaty mid summer.

I use OFF! brand (pretty much the standard here in Finland, I'm not even sure I've seen any others for years) products, most often the roll-on. If I'm worried about ticks I'll go for the OFF! tick repellent. Never had a problem.

Ticks can be a real problem, they're tenacious little bastards that laugh at normal bug repellents.

Ticks are ruthless!! Ive had Lyme's disease twice in the last year, normal bug repellant doesn't seem to work... Hah.

I'd recommend wearing lighter colors so you can see them crawling on you and also thoroughly check your skin when you're done, they do need to be latched on to ya for 24+ hours to transfer diseases...

jamon said:
Ticks are ruthless!! Ive had Lyme's disease twice in the last year, normal bug repellant doesn't seem to work... Hah.

I'd recommend wearing lighter colors so you can see them crawling on you and also thoroughly check your skin when you're done, they do need to be latched on to ya for 24+ hours to transfer diseases...
Very true. OFF! actually does say that the only repellent that affects ticks is the tick repellent (which also includes stuff for other bugs, so you don't need to use several repellents) and even then only if the tick touches it. The tick repellent is a damn poison compared to the other repellents, and it takes the combination of proper clothing and proper repellent use to stay safe. That said I've used it on my clothes many many times and it leaves no residue that I've noticed and doesn't colour the cloth. Don't know what would be the equivalent product over there, but meh.

Translation from the OFF! Tick and Gnat Repellent page:
Only apply thinly to parts of the skin that you can't protect with clothing. Apply especially to wrists, ankles, collar area and every spot, where the ticks could crawl under the clothes. When the tick touches the repellent, it'll release it's grip and drop to the ground.

I live in the northeast as well Jimmy, and am no stranger to plasma sucking pestations. Like the other guys said though, 10-15% deet maybe more. I usually spray exactly the spots jubuttib said in the tick repellant comment. Other than that I try to wear long(er) clothing and I always spray my clothes more than I do my skin. Wear a hat and spray down the hat and the visor (top and bottom), it will keep the mosquito's out of your face. Ticks are little pests and there really is no substitute to stripping down and searching EVERYWHERE after a round. Check the usual area's like under the sock line of your ankle, check your "happy trail", arm pits, etc... they love hot places as I understand it. The best thing you can do for Ticks is STAY ON THE FAIRWAY :p

I'm a fan of overkill. 98.5% deet spray. Sure it smells like cancer and is probably giving me it too but I really hate mosquitos. So to put it plainly, I don't fuck around.

One thing I have gotten into the habit of doing if I'm playing with enough other people to have a little wait on the teepad (like a group of 4 or 5) is check my arms/legs for ticks at every teepad.

I don't throw off the fairways too often, so I don't normally find many - maybe like 10 so far this year. As for mosquitoes, if they are bothering me I'll use a mild DEET% spray, but mosquitoes don't even like me that much so I don't really get bothered. Deer flies, on the other hand....I freaking hate those things. Spraying down my hat is a necessity this time of year.

the only plus for having sensitive skin is that I can feel a tick crawling on me. I'm also very wary of them. but I've had good luck with Deet containing sprays. and here in the south east you can even get ticks in your yard.

but as Jeronimo said just stay in the Fairway. but I do have my own issues with that.

Roy said:
So has anyone used the fan things?

No, but the ThermaCELL things work pretty well for mosquitoes and deer flies.

check them out here: http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/

victorb said:
...ThermaCELL things work pretty well for mosquitoes and deer flies.

check them out here: http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/
Interesting device. Have you actually used this with results while playing though? From the description on the website it sounds as if the product is designed more for static usage.

ThermaCELL said:
For best results, start up the device and place it outdoors in the area of your intended activity for at least 15 minutes. It needs some time to establish the "Cell of Protection."

Yeah, that doesn't sound like something that'd work well during a round.

Dag said:
Interesting device. Have you actually used this with results while playing though? From the description on the website it sounds as if the product is designed more for static usage.

I actually just attach it to my bag. It's probably not quite as effective that way, but it certainly helps out a lot still.

the 3m time release cream is great. the deet is encapsulated in a protein that slowly deterioriates with body heat. for clothing use a perimithin spray, not deet.

I eat the heads of matches the skeeters are attracted to breath carbon dioxide

I carry a couple of packs of matches in my DG bag always in a ziplok. :D

The ThermaCELL looks pretty sweet. Most of our courses around here don't have much of a mosquito problem because it's so dry. However, there are a few courses that have the problem. Typically just Off! works fine, and the idea of spraying the hat is excellent. Just remember if you do apply it to your face, spray it on your hands and smear it around. If you spray directly on your face it'll numb your lips right up, same with the eyes... not that I would know from experience...

NOTHING works on ticks except clothing that is knit tight enough to keep the nymphs off you...Deer tick nymphs are about the tiniest thing you can actually see with the naked eye. I've been covered in 100s of those little buggers several times.

Latest posts