• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BCS Survey

khmer

Birdie Member
I am conducting a survey for class. Please take the time to provide feedback regarding my business concept. Your input will truly be utilized in reviewing the feasibility of the concept. Please be honest with your feedback, even if you feel the idea is not feasible. I am seeking candid and substantive comments only to help me review the viability of the business concept. Thank you in advance for your response!

Business Concept Statement

Product and Service
Discgolflife.com is a disc golf superstore geared toward the rapidly growing community of disc golfers. Discgolflife.com will have an online presence with a storefront located in United States. The products and services being provided are for the booming sport of disc golf. Products include but not limited to discs, clothing, bags, baskets and videos. Services include but not limited to short complimentary instructional videos, DVD's, custom dye, videos games on our website, local, state, regional, and national tournaments, and charity events.

Target Market
Target market Include: late teens 16-19 years old with an annual income of less than six thousand, in school, and living with parents. Post college adults 22-30 years old with an annual income ranging twenty to fifty thousand, not married or married but no children, and are working full time. The family person 25-50 years old with an annual income ranging twenty-four to eighty thousand, both married and not married, has children, and work full time.

Benefits of Product and Services
Disc golf life will carry a wide variety of products to enhance the disc golfer's experience. Different disc for disc drives; golfers do not want to be throwing a putter on all your drives. Different colors discs will help express individuality; having all the same color disc gets boring. Different weight will help achieve distance, control, and accuracy; this is important on every throw because every throw counts. Different carrying capacity to accommodate all discs so that way players are ready for whatever the course demands. Storage capacity to store snacks, marker, pencils, clothes, and bug spray; the golfer can be prepared for anything. Wallet and key compartment so players know exactly where they are and do not have to worry about losing them. Different color bags so competitors can have your favorite color. Nominal shipping fee will allow golfers to save money or grab another favorite disc. The 30 day return policy allows competitors to make sure it is the disc they wanted, along with the color and weight because we all change our minds now and then. All products will sold online, storefront, and at sponsored tournaments

Management Team
Amoni is the founding entrepreneur and owner of "Discgolflife.com. Amoni has enthusiasm and a passion for the sport of disc golf since discovering it October 2009. He has the desire to share his love of the sport with anyone around him. Amoni's education includes an Associate's Degree of Applied Science in Business Administration with an Entrepreneurship Focus from Eveyday Community College. He will then obtain his Bachelor of Arts in Professional Studies in Business with a Marketing Emphases from Your College in summer 2012. Disc Golf Life will add employees as the company grows. The first two employees will be an administrative assistant and a sales expert.

Here's the feedback form. Please copy, paste your response to microsoft word then email ([email protected]) as an attachment or pm. Sorry I could not make this anymore convenient for you but I am pressing for time. Please disregard this survey after Feb. 4, 2011. Again, thank you for your help!

Feedback Submitted By: __________________________________
Date: __________________________________

Three things you LIKE about the business concept are:

Three suggestions to consider for making it better are:

Scale

1 (Business idea isn't feasible)

3 (Business idea may or may not be fesible)

5 (Business idea is feasible)

Last edited:
A 30 day return policy on discs is unheard of but won't people just use them and then return them after 3 weeks and always have "new" plastic on your dime?

Yeah, the return policy won't really work for DG. Part of the profit margin is definitely people buying the wrong disc type for their throw. I can say that it SOUNDS like a great marketing tool, assuming less than 5% of your customer base will actually take advantage of you on. However, this is disc golf, and I have met some of the cheapest people EVER playing this sport. I would up that expected margin to around 20% which, when you throw shipping in the mix on products that generally sell for under $15 with a 1/2 profit, will be pretty disastrous for an online store.

Now looka here boy, I don't like scurvy or pirates.

A few comments.

First, thanks for sharing. You're passionate about the sport, and it shows.

As to the presentation, my first question is, who is the intended audience for this writeup? Are you looking for investors to back you? A bank loan? Some sort of partnership? Who are you going to want to read this?

Most people who read business proposals are interested in hard numbers. DG is a growing sport. So what? PDGA membership tripled in the last five years. Better.

And hard facts. A brick-and-mortar store located in the United States? Where in the US? What state? What city? Why that location? (Remember, you have to have numbers to back up your selection.)

And a USP - a Unique Selling Proposition. Something that sets you apart from everybody else who wants to start a business. Why are you uniquely qualified to do what you want to do. Is your dad Scott Stokely? This is especially necessary for someone who has been involved in the sport for as short a time as you have: having first-name access, for instance, to several world champions would help immensely.

Hope this helps.

- baz

PS - Most players select disc color so that their discs are easy to find, given the environment in which they'll be playing. White discs don't do well in the snow, green discs don't do well on grass, orange discs don't do well on fallen leaves, and so forth. I'm sure that personal preference ("I like blue") has something to do with it, but most DGers I know don't throw discs that are easy to lose in the background. Pink, for that reason, is popular despite its "feminine" associations.

Here's the best I can tell you...buy the book, The Art of the Start. Read it. Read it again. On the third time you read the book, highlight the best parts. Read it a forth time. Then write a business model.

One important thing in any business model (not that you need to share publicly) is to decide if this is a business you wish to A)grow and support you and your family for long time, B)grow and then sell making a small profit but still requiring you to keep full time employment or C)grow and sell then retire on the profits.

I've started several small businesses over the year which the goal has always been to sell within five years and make a small profit. I've only had one business that I felt I should have kept and wanted to keep but I'm greedy and someone offered to buy me out for more than I had invested in equipment and also bought my company name and customer files so I sold.

Read the book. Learn the book. Start you business. Advertise on this website.

Please disregard this survey after Feb. 4, 2011

Last day to post on this thread

I pm'd him with a similar comment about the 30 day policy and that basically it was creating clearwater DG Store

Latest posts