• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bullseye style baskets

My practice basket is full sized and I aim for the center pole. Haven't come close to achieving pinpoint accuracy yet by any means.:eek:

Just picked up a DD Marksman, and I really like it.
It does make you putt a little differently than on a full size basket, so I don't know if that helps or not?
But, I do know that after 50 putts on the marksman, the regular full size basket now looks huge, so it's easy to throw with confidence.

Update from OP:

After having the basket for a few weeks I am finding that my stroke is slowing down. So to answer my own question, I think that the nature of this basket will actually modify my putting to where center pole rejections will be less common. Hopefully.

Update from OP:

After having the basket for a few weeks I am finding that my stroke is slowing down. So to answer my own question, I think that the nature of this basket will actually modify my putting to where center pole rejections will be less common. Hopefully.

That's how it went down for me. I have evolved into a push putter because my basket forced me to hit the chains with a little more touch and a little less speed! After that, I found everything in my putting routine becoming looser and much more chill, where as I used to analyze every bit and just get in my own head while I was spin putting. That's just me though! Good luck and hopefully you figure it out faster than I did, for your sake! :D

My Bullseye basket has been next to my desk in the warehouse for a year now. Instead of a smoke break, I take a putt break. What I've noticed is that my aim is really not much different when putting on it versus a standard size basket - rightside of chains (RHBH spin). I haven't noticed any issues with putts that hit center pole. There are putts that don't stay in, but I tell myself that a "regular" basket would have held the disc, so that helps my putting confidence. And I also use softer putters (R-Pro Aviars & soft V.P.s), which I am convinced "stick" in the chains better than stiffer putters.

Do you putt nose up? I always found nose up pole strikes flip the disc upside down, while nose down has a tendency to hit pole and bounce back out.

you want your putts to hit the chains with as little velocity as possible.

Totally disagree with that. Imop I think the key thing is, you want your putt to come in level to maybe very little hyzer (and if possible, slightly nose down) and you can bang the chains at that point imop. I tend to throw the same velocity from 10-30ft. Seems like those severe hyzer putts are the ones that tend to spit out or simply go through the chains the most imop.

Totally disagree with that. Imop I think the key thing is, you want your putt to come in level to maybe very little hyzer (and if possible, slightly nose down) and you can bang the chains at that point imop. I tend to throw the same velocity from 10-30ft. Seems like those severe hyzer putts are the ones that tend to spit out or simply go through the chains the most imop.

So you are saying, all other things being equal, you would rather slam the chains with more velocity? Sorry buddy, I would put money against you on that one.

Here in Nashville our local bag tag series (tags run in the 300's and can have up to 60-130 players per event) always has a smaller basket (usually a gateway bullseye) they use for a extra basket (also to accommodate more players/extra card).

What I noticed is that, more than anything, the smaller baskets make you adjust the whole approach to the hole. So you want that drive/upshot to be within 15ft or else you're just laying up. Many a time the organizers are sadistic and will put that bullseye basket on a windy green and/or near OB.

I have a spin putt that is notorious for the occasional pole hit bounce back and slightly off center spit through (especially on the MACH II/III/V discraft chainstar).

My pole bound slightly hyzer hard spin putt with slick hard putter (pro plastic discmania P2) weirdly is more effective on the bullseye baskets because it seems to hit pole and deflect downward.

I think it's the rare example of more chains being a detriment to my spin putt where the inner + outer chains catch the disc and guide it right through/around the pole of normal baskets. But the single chains of the bullseye catch and deflect it toward the pole while the pole knocks and directs my putt downward into the cage.

Innova disc catchers Mach X and prodigy baskets seem to just catch and don't really have spit outs. Disccatchers even seem to catch and insnare weak/am-side putts good too.

So you are saying, all other things being equal, you would rather slam the chains with more velocity? Sorry buddy, I would put money against you on that one.

I'm not sure if "slam" is the right word. Do you think Wysocki's putts are slammed? I still thinking coming in level with just a tough of hyzer allows you to have much more velocity on the disc.

I'm not sure if "slam" is the right word. Do you think Wysocki's putts are slammed? I still thinking coming in level with just a tough of hyzer allows you to have much more velocity on the disc.

We may be talking circles around each other. I'm not saying you can't successfully putt hard, I am saying that all else being equal the softer putt will land better.

I have found I really hate my dd marksman.
Had about a year and really didn't do any heavy work with it and till about a month ago. I think it has the effect of making my closer in stroke too soft as I get lulled into it making catches moreso than form/follow through. Very noticeable effect on the course. Still hitting it a bit, but now I'm targeting upper chains and catching band often doing putter abuse .. over compensating in my head maybe. Some thoughts of just going to a box on top of a garbage can simple style.

^^. Edit add..

Hate sounds a little strong. I can get ugly picky and be a head case. (like most to post here, Ha!)
They are nice little baskets. A fine target to throw at. Pushes focus a bit. Like throwing to a stationary 8 year old rather than a stationary adult. I would recommend a new player to get one of those rather than some 'instep' questionable as a first basket. Built study for the price point. Would hold value well for course/buddy trade or craigslist it if you hate it too.

CCDG Coverage of Canyon Springs Disc Dash for Cash

DD mentioned that CCDG would provide full coverage of the 2016 Canyon Springs Disc Dash for Cash, which used the Marksman targets on one of the courses. I can't find those videos anywhere on Youtube.

Anyone got a link? TIA.

I have found I really hate my dd marksman.
Had about a year and really didn't do any heavy work with it and till about a month ago. I think it has the effect of making my closer in stroke too soft as I get lulled into it making catches moreso than form/follow through. Very noticeable effect on the course. Still hitting it a bit, but now I'm targeting upper chains and catching band often doing putter abuse .. over compensating in my head maybe. Some thoughts of just going to a box on top of a garbage can simple style.
Lol, that is the main reason I've not gotten a bullseye style basket for practice, there are differences and you want your practice to simulate game time as best as possible.

On another note, I still can't believe my first ever throw on a Bullseye basket was an actual bullseye aka an ace! Pyramids Pink Course hole 1, 111 feet. :cool:

DD mentioned that CCDG would provide full coverage of the 2016 Canyon Springs Disc Dash for Cash, which used the Marksman targets on one of the courses. I can't find those videos anywhere on Youtube.

Anyone got a link? TIA.

I don't think CCDG has put them out yet. DD has these and Lamar Maughn in part 2!

Thanks guys. I'm hoping for the CCDG coverage to become available at some point. The DD stuff was entertaining, but they have a dog in the hunt, as far as the Marksman experiment goes, so full coverage from an impartial party would be educational. Watching pro reactions when cash is on line is always better than pure promo stuff.

a practice basket helps you dial in. i can't think of any reason how it couldn't help. unless you are climo or something.

a practice basket doesn't catch well, as the intent is to change your perspective on how you put.

my marksman has made me a better putter. period. wish they would have existed 20 years ago.

now that I have a mach two basket as well, I can see that the real gain of a marksman type practice basket is that it improves your focus.

will you get extremely mad at it for not catching all your "good puts". yes.. young grasshopper...yes.

Last edited:

Latest posts