• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buying discs is addictive

Stokley or someone had a video about getting your discs back. Said to use a 'stripper' name, and your phone number. It's at least clever.
Candy, Brandi, Tiffany, etc...
:popcorn:

My God-Son just mentioned this same thing to me last night as he was writing his name on the back. My Son decided to do the same.

Stokley or someone had a video about getting your discs back. Said to use a 'stripper' name, and your phone number. It's at least clever.
Candy, Brandi, Tiffany, etc...
:popcorn:

I saw that video too, but never saw a follow up on how it worked out for him.

I just started playing in mid 2020.
I have about 50 discs.
I have two Grip-Eq bags (B & G), and I'll likely buy a C soon as well.

My other hobbies were/are pricey so disc golf seems relatively cheap. Zero guilt.

Ima buy three more discs tonight in y'all's honor.

I stopped thinking about the discs as "purchases".

Prefer to think of them as "rentals".

Also have learned that if I keep them long enough, someone will usually pay me to take the disc off my hands.
Sometimes it's downright profitable.

Disc Golf is funny that way.

Phases of addiction

I kept a screenshot of each purchase and there is a pattern.

At first I didn't really know what I was doing, buying all the wrong weights and plastics.

Then I got into stats and tried to find discs that would be comfortable to hold. This led to some very random purchases, most of which never made the bag.

Then the experimental phase where I tried to find discs with weights and flight characteristics that I would manage and might expand my game. More mainstream moulds, but only a few that would make the bag.

Then the putter phase where I tried to find my perfect putter.

Then the must-have-multiple-putters phase, which led to me owning 5 of a couple of candidates.

Then after losing a couple of discs in two days, the knee-jerk must-have-backups phase which was very expensive, but at least based on some knowledge of my current bag.

My addiction is real. To some extent I am buying for my friends now, to stop them stealing from my bag (where I live it is hard to buy a disc). And because there are so many discs unavailable I have to experiment some more. So I'm trusting flight guides and reviews to get disc that will suit players of different abilities that I am lucky enough to play with.

But then, another layer of addiction, I start to wonder about the gaps in my bag. That huge chasm between my most overstable Vulture and my Firebird: is there something that won't flip and won't crash hard to the left into the wind? Is speed 10 my limit and are there other speed 10 discs to expand my game. I will only know if I can throw them. Ergo ��

Thank goodness Infinite and Marshall Street seem to have some discs (and they ship internationally without fuss) but I wish the supply was a bit more plentiful and reliable.

Especially for addicts like me ��

I kept a screenshot of each purchase and there is a pattern.

At first I didn't really know what I was doing, buying all the wrong weights and plastics.

Then I got into stats and tried to find discs that would be comfortable to hold. This led to some very random purchases, most of which never made the bag.

Then the experimental phase where I tried to find discs with weights and flight characteristics that I would manage and might expand my game. More mainstream moulds, but only a few that would make the bag.

Then the putter phase where I tried to find my perfect putter.

Then the must-have-multiple-putters phase, which led to me owning 5 of a couple of candidates.

Then after losing a couple of discs in two days, the knee-jerk must-have-backups phase which was very expensive, but at least based on some knowledge of my current bag.

You are a mind reader. I'm partway into step 5, bought a matching pair putters. But, stupid me, somehow I bought a Classic blend Warden and a Classic blend medium because I was looking at color and weights on the back... oh well. I also hit the phase where I found the Champion Orc that i thought I lost or left 2 months ago, and it's like having a new disc all over again.

Today I went to the DD brick and mortar store with the intent of buying a Recoil, or perhaps a Sergeant (for a slightly more stable Trespass feel), and found a brand new Proton Streamline Trace with pop top on the used rack for $8. Well, can't pass that up. Came away with that and a Recoil.

I went from 0 to 100 on my disc buying real quick. At first my thought was "I'm gonna get really good with just a few discs". Then I wanted to cover more shots, so I bought a few more. I got one with a cool stamp, so then I wanted a whole bag with cool stamps. Before too long I got on the hype train with hot releases and stuff, and soon the stack of plastic I have that I don't throw got pretty high. I don't have an exact count, but I'm approaching 100 discs bought. I bought my first set in June 2020. I've managed to chill on it and am actually selling some off even turning a profit on a few of them.

I've always had collector tendencies. I was a Pokemon card kid. Discs scratched that itch, and then I spent way too much money on it. Also, honest to god I felt guilty about hoarding that much plastic from an environmental standpoint. So, I'm selling off the valuable ones, and old throwers/standard stuff I'm gonna make some basic sets and give them to friend who I want to get in.

I'm just about 50 since June 2020. Plus 5 or 6 I found and weren't marked or claimed. Given several away too.

Yeah of the 70 I may have 30 remaining. I sell what I don't like or give it to friends. I came back to the game in July after a 5 year hiatus so I had some catching up to do :)