• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Buzzz SS Thoughts

Yea if u want less molds just throw a slightly beat x buzzz or d buzzz

100_0918.jpg

^I have been throwing the above glo ss z-buzzz for about 3 weeks now and love it! As stated above, it flies very straight and will hold any line you put on it. It's decent for drives, but has become my go-to disc for anything inside 200' (all approach shots).

To answer your specific question, I frequently throw it on an anny and it holds that line very well.

I just bought a gl fuse to fit my understable mid needs, would a buzzz ss be overlapping? Or would it be best to pick one or the other.

i've been throwing the buzzz ss for 2 years now, since it came out for the 08 worlds. i don't know about the production run domey ones. mine is flat and money. i would never go to the course without it. will hold any line you put it on. i use mine specifically for low tunnel shots, anhyzers, hyzer flip to flat, even holds hyzer lines that need to go straight almost the whole flight(though i generally throw a buzzz for this shot). i've been throwing mine for 2 years now and it is still about the same stability. not too flippy at all. if you're thinking about getting one, do it.

I played with a guy last week who had that specific Buzzz SS. I have the new production runs and there is a considerable difference in dome. His was flat as a dinner plate and mine is more like a bowl. The flatters, as you would expect, are a little faster and less stable.

I am not sure I would like them. I already have a Meteor and a Fuse. While they have their place, for me they are not a full time mid but more of a special shot. The new production run Buzzz SS, however, have just enough stability where I can work with them and use them for most shots.

As I mentioned earlier, when it gets warmer out, this may change. During the summer months my Star SM Roc was as straight as an arrow with only the slightest fade, but as it cooled down around here, it developed a really hard fade. Right now the Buzzz SS is the perfect stability for me, so what I am interested to find out is how much stability, if any, it is going to lose when it warms up. Hopefully with its large dome, it will not lose much.

I just bought a gl fuse to fit my understable mid needs, would a buzzz ss be overlapping? Or would it be best to pick one or the other.

Depends, what type of player are you? Are you the type who packs his bag full of drivers and only needs or wants two mids to cover all those duties? Or are you more of a player that has an even amount of drivers and mids and prefer to have a wide assortment of shots to pick from? Basically, are you more of a player that makes a disc do what you want, or do you just throw and let the disc do the work?

I am more of the latter, thus I carry about 5-7 mids and putters (usually 4 mids and 3 putters). In this case I would use the Fuse for fast and or high arcs, mostly anhyzer, and anything that NEEDS to finish anywhere from straight on or to the right (assuming RHBH). I would use the Buzzz SS for any shot that needs to stay relatively straight, only needs and or can only have height about shoulder to head high, and I would not mind if it finished just a tad left of what I was aiming for. In an open field, I would go with the Buzzz SS one hundred percent of the time over the Fuse. In a tightly wooded course, it greatly depends on the situation.

Yet with most Lat64 discs I have discovered that they have a learning curve to them, that it takes a little time to unlock their full potential, but once you do they are the best discs out there. The Buzzz SS seems incredibly friendly out of the box, but it may also be that is all that you get. So, if you are going full time with only a few mids, like 3 or less, the Fuse may be more useful if you are teaming it up with some like a regular Buzzz or Roc and then something with a Drone like stability.

Stuff

Nick, i had your same thoughts on the Buzz ss. but would did you think of the Surge ss and what is your plan with them since you have the Surge? my main driver is the Star Destroyer.

Mort

are the new runs domey??? I can't stand domey mids.

My circle stamp Z SS is very flat - only got it today and probably won't have time to throw it for a couple more days though. I also don't carry a comet because its just too deep and domey, so this will be great to try out. Can barely tell a difference between the regular and SS either, so I think it would be a great complement to Z buzzz.

what about beating in a pro d buzzz (if you are reducing molds)?

This is the method I use. Pro-D is pretty easy to break in, and the Buzzz in D is way less stable than a Z. I keep an ESP for stable-slightly overstable mid shots and a beat D Buzzz for dead straight to understable. It still won't quite turn over easily, but it's close.

All of the new run Buzzz SS I've seen are pretty domey. And after hearing that they fly more stable than the special runs, I'm thinking that it has less to do with functionality.

McCabe throws the Buzzz a lot. But didn't get the Buzzz for his signature disc. The Buzzz SS, along with the two others, was a good compromise. But at top-tier power, McCabe may have needed a more stable version of the SS, hence the dome.

Or at least that's my conspiracy theory.

This is the method I use. Pro-D is pretty easy to break in, and the Buzzz in D is way less stable than a Z. I keep an ESP for stable-slightly overstable mid shots and a beat D Buzzz for dead straight to understable. It still won't quite turn over easily, but it's close.

Beating in a Buzzz, in my experience, for turnover shots is a bit square peg, round hole. The Buzzz isn't a Roc, it doesn't hold a turnover line with the same grace that a beat Roc does. And it's frozen rope straight out of the box.

A beat Buzzz will turn over, and will hold that line, but it doesn't glide well once turned over, and has a tendency to hold the anny to the ground, via turn and burn.

However, the Comet, in my opinion, is even better than a beat Roc for that shot.

I have heard the buzzz-ss is a step above the comet in stability, and I agree if you aren't used to a comet's grip the buzzz-ss will be more comfy. They do have a bit of dome to them, but not the bulky rim. Give it a try, its not like it will be hard to trade/sell off if you don't like it.

Z buzzz's beat in for great turnover discs, the X and Pro D are alright, but are not as easy to throw or capable of as many lines as a beat roc, comet or other mid.

I played with a guy last week who had that specific Buzzz SS. I have the new production runs and there is a considerable difference in dome. His was flat as a dinner plate and mine is more like a bowl. The flatters, as you would expect, are a little faster and less stable.

I am not sure I would like them. I already have a Meteor and a Fuse. While they have their place, for me they are not a full time mid but more of a special shot. The new production run Buzzz SS, however, have just enough stability where I can work with them and use them for most shots.

As I mentioned earlier, when it gets warmer out, this may change. During the summer months my Star SM Roc was as straight as an arrow with only the slightest fade, but as it cooled down around here, it developed a really hard fade. Right now the Buzzz SS is the perfect stability for me, so what I am interested to find out is how much stability, if any, it is going to lose when it warms up. Hopefully with its large dome, it will not lose much.

I needed some exercise so I ran upstairs and sorted through some discs. Comparing the last few runs of the Buzzz SS

2009 Am Worlds Teal Buzzz SS - flat top
2010 Am Worlds Glow Buzzz SS - flat top
2010 Eric McCabe Buzzz SS - domey

I put them on a table and there was no difference between the Am Worlds molds. The two EMacs I got from Discraft at Xmas time were definitely domey. I have about 10-15 more coming in this week and i'll look them over to see if there are any differences.

Beating in a Buzzz, in my experience, for turnover shots is a bit square peg, round hole. The Buzzz isn't a Roc, it doesn't hold a turnover line with the same grace that a beat Roc does. And it's frozen rope straight out of the box.

A beat Buzzz will turn over, and will hold that line, but it doesn't glide well once turned over, and has a tendency to hold the anny to the ground, via turn and burn.

However, the Comet, in my opinion, is even better than a beat Roc for that shot.

^^^^^^^^^^as full of truth as any post i've ever read on this forum

I needed some exercise so I ran upstairs and sorted through some discs. Comparing the last few runs of the Buzzz SS

2009 Am Worlds Teal Buzzz SS - flat top
2010 Am Worlds Glow Buzzz SS - flat top
2010 Eric McCabe Buzzz SS - domey

I put them on a table and there was no difference between the Am Worlds molds. The two EMacs I got from Discraft at Xmas time were definitely domey. I have about 10-15 more coming in this week and i'll look them over to see if there are any differences.

Let me know what you come up with. I have 2 of the EMac Zs, an orange and a pink. I am curious whether there is difference in colors. I know that when Z Nukes came out there was a wide range of stabilities across the colors. I have the orange all ribboned up and ready to play in an upcoming tournament but I have been using the pink in fun rounds where i am likely not going to use it. For driving it kind of stunk but for approaches it was fantastic.

I have been throwing my Buzzz SS lately and have been liking it. Mine is a little domey, and more stable than what I thought it would be. If I put a lot of snap on it it will fly straight for a little while and slowly roll over, but not turn and burn. It definately seems a bit more glidey when thrown anny than a normal Z Buzzz. I can finesse the buzzz SS and it will stay straight and hold that line until it hits the ground. Its earned a spot in my bag... So far :)

Nick, i had your same thoughts on the Buzz ss. but would did you think of the Surge ss and what is your plan with them since you have the Surge? my main driver is the Star Destroyer.

Mort

I use the Surge SS for anhyzer drives that I need to go far or to go around a distant obstacle. The Surge I use is Elite-Z and I use it for all my controlled drives, S lines and so forth. I use my Star Destroyer as my hyzer driver but i might go for a pred instead

How does the SS compare to a fuse? I think they're both supposed to be the same speed and understable/glidy.

From my limited recent experience with the two, my GL fuse is much more understable. If I put snap on it it will turn turn turn. The Buzzz SS can take way more with just a little turn and not much fade. Pretty straight.

Latest posts