• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cactus Bunkers in Texas

Looks really great. If you want an idea of how cactus is on other courses, take a trip out to East Metro in Manor, TX. Their is cactus all over the place, not much on the fairways but lining them. One great example however would be hole #17, where as from the white tee you can see the cactus in the middle of the fairway, but not from the blue tee, however if you have played it before you know its their. It is right in the middle of the fairway, I have hit and gone dead in the middle of it on many occasions, aside from a few thorns in teh disc, I have yet to have one completely penetrate my disc. Then down by the green, their is cactus all around, large patches of it. Would be a great example to look at, as they are not surrounded by bunker outlines as in you photo, but I do like that idea.

Looking forward to the oppurtunity to come out and see your course, keep us posted as to when it is complete and open for play. Also, maybe some of the local clubs could be interested in coming out for a work day and assiting in the cleanup/setup.

Looks great! Love the look with the circle of rocks. dont wanna get caught up in the cacti though. there is alot of that in TX. Keep up the good work and let us know when it is complete. Im excited to come play it. Will it be free or a fee?
The plan is to build two 18 hole courses. One will be a short par 2 pitch-n-putt type course that averages about 120 ft per hole. It should be fun for new players, night golf, kids, and as a warmup for experienced players before playing a regular round. The full size course will have blue tees with a total distance of ~6400 ft and white tees at about ~5600 ft. After the course is complete we'll build a clubhouse where we'll have discs, food, beer, etc for sale. The price will be $5 per day or an annual club membership will be available for those who live nearby and want to play often.

Looks really great. If you want an idea of how cactus is on other courses, take a trip out to East Metro in Manor, TX. Their is cactus all over the place, not much on the fairways but lining them. One great example however would be hole #17, where as from the white tee you can see the cactus in the middle of the fairway, but not from the blue tee, however if you have played it before you know its their. It is right in the middle of the fairway, I have hit and gone dead in the middle of it on many occasions, aside from a few thorns in teh disc, I have yet to have one completely penetrate my disc. Then down by the green, their is cactus all around, large patches of it. Would be a great example to look at, as they are not surrounded by bunker outlines as in you photo, but I do like that idea.

Looking forward to the oppurtunity to come out and see your course, keep us posted as to when it is complete and open for play. Also, maybe some of the local clubs could be interested in coming out for a work day and assiting in the cleanup/setup.
Thanks for the tip about the Manor course. I've never played there but will check it out soon. You or anyone else who would like to stop by and see what what we've done so far is welcome any time. We have 6 of the par 2 holes roughed out, cleared, and baskets installed. We also have 6 holes cut on the main course. Only 2 have been cleared, but they can all be played. We're always looking for players to stop by, play a few holes, and give us some feedback.

FWIW, I've had several cactus needles puncture my KC Pro putters all the way through, and I don't even play around cactii very often.

I actually like the idea of keeping the bunkers in play because of the footing issue that the op mentioned earlier. It might not be a terrible punishment for going into the sand/gravel. But if your stance is sketchy, then you need to be careful to stay out of them. Just my thoughts.

The plan is to build two 18 hole courses. One will be a short par 2 pitch-n-putt type course that averages about 120 ft per hole. It should be fun for new players, night golf, kids, and as a warmup for experienced players before playing a regular round. The full size course will have blue tees with a total distance of ~6400 ft and white tees at about ~5600 ft. After the course is complete we'll build a clubhouse where we'll have discs, food, beer, etc for sale. The price will be $5 per day or an annual club membership will be available for those who live nearby and want to play often.

When will this be done? And where is this exactly?

Latest posts