• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can anyone throw 500'?

Fair and an interesting take on the question. I would lower that bar but maybe I haven't come across enough freaks hitting 400' with bad form.

On that topic, if anyone has a good video of someone with what you would consider bad form hitting 400+, I would like to see it. I imagine, there are things we can learn from that too.

I gotchu, I'll get one posted of my previous form in a bit.

[/QUOTE]

acc.jpg

"In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

This lines up with my philosophy on the topic pretty well. There are so many factors at play here, that almost no predictions can really be made when we use words like 'anyone'. The most athletic, zen-minded, disciplined, orangutan-levered, ninja footed beast, without a desire to pick up a disc, can't throw 500'.

There are many combinations of attributes that, upon collaborative fruition, might possibly achieve this goal.

If asked the literal question, 'Can anyone throw 500 feet', my literal answer would be 'No, only those who can throw 500 feet can throw 500 feet'.

It seems we have a panel of arbitrary judges of distance and mechanics in here and that's one of our problems I guess. Who or how determines "Good mechanics"?. Seems rather arbitrary to me.

There's nothing arbitrary about comparing visual data to a scientifically proven biomechanical motion. Just like there's nothing arbitrary about comparing someone's height. My friend is taller than me. Anyone who understands the fundamentals of height will be able to tell that he, standing 6'5, is taller than me, who stands 5'11.

It seems we have a panel of arbitrary judges of distance and mechanics in here and that's one of our problems I guess. Who or how determines "Good mechanics"?. Seems rather arbitrary to me.

It isn't arbitrary.

Biomechanics is an established field of study. Human movement patterns have benchmarks for comparison. Physics has laws that hold up in the real world.

It is clear who has a sufficient grasp of the subject and who doesn't.

Again, when discussing form/mechanics don't confuse "good" or "correct" with "perfect."

I mean I guess I could listen to Butch Harmon or not, especially considering I can outdrive him and he clearly isn't qualified to talk about the golf swing with me.

There is no certifying body of "who determines good mechanics", there is who you are willing to listen to on that topic because you understand they know more than you and that you can learn from them. You got to determine who that is.

Your approach reminds me a little of my 9 year old daughter who, after her first ballet class, came home telling me she didn't want to go anymore because she was too advanced and should be teaching the class.

I tend to agree. There are certainly baseline mechanics needed to throw a disc even 200ft. I think most people coming from the frisbee world have a hard time with the concept of arm speed because they're so used to just flicking the disc out there with their wrist. Decent snap should get you to 275-300, but you're going to need arm speed to take to the next level(s).

..if anyone has a good video of someone with what you would consider bad form hitting 400+, I would like to see it. I imagine, there are things we can learn from that too.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying someone can have bad form and throw 400, I was saying if there was a distance where "everything has to be firing well" I think 450 is that mark. I can stand still 300ft all day long. I've been told you can add another 100ft with a proper x-step, weight shift, etc, but due to injuries, age, etc, I'll never hit that mark, at least not without a freak wind aided throw. lol..

There is no certifying body of "who determines good mechanics", there is who you are willing to listen to on that topic because you understand they know more than you and that you can learn from them. You got to determine who that is.

I would add that keeping an open mind means one recognizes that someone who has less knowledge can still contribute something useful, whether it is something that hasn't been previously considered, or approaching an issue from a different angle, etc.

That said, I personally want to see relevant, quality evidence to support assertions.

It isn't arbitrary.

Biomechanics is an established field of study. Human movement patterns have benchmarks for comparison. Physics has laws that hold up in the real world.

It is clear who has a sufficient grasp of the subject and who doesn't.

Again, when discussing form/mechanics don't confuse "good" or "correct" with "perfect."

Biomechanics is a field of study but you still have an arbitrary system to analyze and judge data that in large part is highly subjective. I saw this when I was heavily involved in baseball and my son's development as a pitcher.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's actually good because it's how we formulate theories and experiment. The problem arises when the arbitrary and subjective system tries to establish laws about how to throw and go so far as to place their own personal ideas as the only way.

BTW, I do think Paul Oman has a near perfect kinetic sequence. But that's just my own arbitrary opinion.

BTW, I do think Paul Oman has a near perfect kinetic sequence. But that's just my own arbitrary opinion.

See, now you changed it to "near perfect," which means that there is room for improvement, which is what people were pointing out before.

Each individual will have their own optimal biomechanics which will vary some. MOST people will benefit from similar form/technique to get near optimal performance.

I spent a lot of time working on throwing growing up, but didn't have "it". I spent even more time working on my jump shot and free throws. The free throw is kind of the pinnacle of repeatable biomechanical effort. Watch 10 great free throw shooters and they won't have identical technique. Some vary wildly.

The proper kinetic sequence would include all the very close swing similarities of a specified group of excellent professional disc golfers. Proper kinetic sequence would disregard outliers in the same group of throws. The mechanics of an upshot would not be compared to mechanics of a 360 throw for show. Full throws off tees for distance WITH mind for accuracy should be compared in this group.

Orman and Oakley and Seppo present observable outliers in their swings, while also sharing similarities. The similarities would be included in the proper mechanics. The dissimilarities would be omitted in the comparison.

attachment.php

This is not to dissuade anyone from lofty goals, but I find some wisdom in the concept. There are some stark differences in tone in most of these threads that I have noticed.

Lots of people here can actually throw 500'. When they talk about mechanics, they are speaking from actual experience after going through the process to arrive at that point. Can they be wrong about their own perceptions? Sure, but they are still speaking about their actual experience.

Then there is another mentality. One that saw some progress and extrapolated that to assume they are on the golden road to maximum performance. The backhand disc golf swing seems rife with little breakthrough seeds that can grow into this thought. After empirically experiencing numerous, outright upheavals of my concept of the swing, I would caution anyone from letting these thoughts grow too wild without corresponding, actual results.

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 232
Then there is another mentality. One that saw some progress and extrapolated that to assume they are on the golden road to maximum performance. The backhand disc golf swing seems rife with little breakthrough seeds that can grow into this thought.

This part is so true and is part of the journey. So many times a perceived break through led down a path to a dead end. Very similar and as frustrating as the golf swing.

Is it just me, or do the top players throwing golf lines 300-500' make it look fairly effortless?

When they go for max, it's different.

See, now you changed it to "near perfect," which means that there is room for improvement, which is what people were pointing out before.

No, it's different. His kinetic chain is really really good in my opinion. It seems others didn't think so. That was the jest of it. Most of that was coming from guys who aren't as good or throw controlled shots as far, so it's like- well, how can you be a critic when your way doesn't do it better?

Is it just me, or do the top players throwing golf lines 300-500' make it look fairly effortless?

It's relatively the same for us when we hit 250-300 foot shots and make it look fairly effortless. As you get better your distance gets easier to achieve. Thankyou muscles!

Yep.. I've seen comments from pros that they rarely throw max d in a typical tournament. However, I think at 475+ they're putting a bit of stank on it. I hope everyone gets a chance at a close encounter with a top pro. While the 500+ bombs are impressive, the low line drive 350-400ft+ throws with a mid range are the most amazing imop.

Yep.. I've seen comments from pros that they rarely throw max d in a typical tournament. However, I think at 475+ they're putting a bit of stank on it. I hope everyone gets a chance at a close encounter with a top pro. While the 500+ bombs are impressive, the low line drive 350-400ft+ throws with a mid range are the most amazing imop.

Yeah, they are throwing fast, but they make it look easy. I'm maxed out about 300' give or take right now. My form sucks, I'm in terrible shape, etc...but I'm giving it my all and they step up and flip a disc effortlessly (it appears effortless) 300-400. I'll probably never touch 500', but I would love to have that accurate 300' + throw.

Can anyone dunk?
A5dkf3F.png

I was lucky enough to have famous high school coach Morgan Wootten has a home room teacher. He used to tell a story where he made a bet if at +50 year old if he could dunk.

He would then grab a step ladder and proceed to dunk. He then stated that it was within the rules of the agreement, that not using a ladder had not been established. :)

Latest posts