• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can anyone throw 500'?

I can't believe Tamm threw 710ft non 360. 600ft is a "big boy" throw and he just goes and throws it another 100ft.

I wish I had video of Jacob Armbrust throwing 650+ in 2018 effortlessly. The dude was a monster but never really toured. The one distance comp I know of him entering, he struggled with some jitters I think.

Crap, thinking about it, I took video of him throwing in 2018.. But it wasn't 650 shots. He got sick of loosing discs cause they went to far. So he was throwing these huge sweeping hyzer shots.

I wonder what I did with that footage.

Paige has some great mechanics, but her throw is pure violence.

She's literally putting every ounce of her tiny frame into the shot. It's not sustainable long term.

I disagree about it not being sustainable. She hasn't really struggled with injury and she's thrown that way a long time. 17 years of sanctioned tournaments.

Based on those numbers I see something different. Speed is not everything.
Kristaian Kuoksa threw 10 mph faster than Gurthie yet was 117 shorter in distance.

And to a lesser extent Beach threw 5 mph faster than Allen yet was still 5 feet shorter.

I found it interesting the women threw slightly longer in the finials yet the men's numbers drop lock a rock with the exception of Wiggins.

After watching, I think this is all due to wind.

The last thought is interesting, but I think the MPO players are relying a lot on playing the wind correctly to push into max distance. The FPO players are throwing with less height in general and therefore are less affected by the wind in final rounds.

Paige has some great mechanics, but her throw is pure violence.

She's literally putting every ounce of her tiny frame into the shot. It's not sustainable long term.

She looks very smooth to me. She has been playing a long time.

I just watched a video posted by DGN / DGPT of Paige scoring an eagle on a 900 foot hole (Portland Open), and she looks very efficient.

Have you seen Jennifer Allen throw? Now she puts a hurting on the disc when she bombs.

She looks very smooth to me. She has been playing a long time.

I just watched a video posted by DGN / DGPT of Paige scoring an eagle on a 900 foot hole (Portland Open), and she looks very efficient.

Have you seen Jennifer Allen throw? Now she puts a hurting on the disc when she bombs.

I've been keeping score watching them throw in person. =)

Paige is using all she's got. and she does it super well. It's just violent.

I can't believe Tamm threw 710ft non 360. 600ft is a "big boy" throw and he just goes and throws it another 100ft.

Tammy's quiet walk up, then 710'. Yeah buddy.

I kinda wish they could have more throws to 'get one right,' because it would be nice to compare full flights to full flights. Garret throwing a 500' cut roller as his best throw isn't satisfying. I understand why they get 5 throws because there has to be some limit, yet on the other hand, there is no time constraint and the entire reason for the competition is to watch far throws. Give them 10 throws. I keep hearing AB is the farthest thrower, but he can't demonstrate.

Tammy's quiet walk up, then 710'. Yeah buddy.

I kinda wish they could have more throws to 'get one right,' because it would be nice to compare full flights to full flights. Garret throwing a 500' cut roller as his best throw isn't satisfying. I understand why they get 5 throws because there has to be some limit, yet on the other hand, there is no time constraint and the entire reason for the competition is to watch far throws. Give them 10 throws. I keep hearing AB is the farthest thrower, but he can't demonstrate.

It's a distance contest, not a showcase (that was later that day).

I did watch that one. I was looking for video of the distance 'showcase' you were talking about, where they can show off, without worrying about how many throws they get.
Go to the end of the video around 1:02.00

I keep hearing AB is the farthest thrower, but he can't demonstrate.
I think AB threw the longest shot across the lake at the 2021 USDGC showcase. He's definitely not the most consistent distance thrower. His form is rough as he gets stuck hyperextending the front leg like ole Tiger Woods, not sure how long it's sustainable and has had injuries. Eagle's form is so much smoother with about the same distance.

hsQXQLll.png

I keep hearing AB is the farthest thrower, but he can't demonstrate.

I think that a lot of this "furthest throwing" ordeal is a bit of a measuring contest.
And in a sense, rightfully so. Because it is a showcase, it is a competition. And it is cool.

But when it comes to talking about who does what and so and so. The actual data gets washed out in the drone of the fanfare as people talk about their favorites. It's like someone saying how Kevin jones is the furthest thrower out there!

And people are like "what? no."

And then you make some sort of correlation. Well look at how far he throws at 5'1. Imagine if he was 6'5 like AB!

(I have no idea how tall KJ or AB is, but its more of a joke and the silliness that fans will make to justify their favorite person being the best)

I think that a lot of this "furthest throwing" ordeal is a bit of a measuring contest.
And in a sense, rightfully so. Because it is a showcase, it is a competition. And it is cool.

But when it comes to talking about who does what and so and so. The actual data gets washed out in the drone of the fanfare as people talk about their favorites. It's like someone saying how Kevin jones is the furthest thrower out there!

And people are like "what? no."

And then you make some sort of correlation. Well look at how far he throws at 5'1. Imagine if he was 6'5 like AB!

(I have no idea how tall KJ or AB is, but its more of a joke and the silliness that fans will make to justify their favorite person being the best)

Eagle parked that 700' par 4 a couple of years ago, besides maybe a roller, I haven't seen anything close to that in a tournament. I hope Simon convinces AB to do a casual distance contest (per Nick and Matt appearance)… and I hope one of them has to concede the loss :popcorn:

You wouldn't get as impressive distance numbers, but it would be interesting to see a distance contest that forced everyone to throw hyzer lines.

I went to Goat Hill 2022 caddying for a friend. After round 2 they had a distance competition for cash. I've seen drew and paul throw in person several times, as well as we have a local pro that throws 600+. To this day I have never seen a disc move as fast as when AB threw a 360. He won by a country mile. Earlier that day he eagled a 1225ft Par 5 with a 20ft putt. Sorry for the poor quality:

There is also a local innova sponsored pro who was on camera with AB a few times and he said that AB's sidearm is the furthest he's ever seen someone throw sidearm with the exception of Ryan Sheldon. Not a distance showcase but just a good angle of his sidearm:
https://youtu.be/fevzz_RvU6Q?t=471

Talking about slow smooth runup into absolute bombs like Tamm, I would love to see Tristan Tanner trust his knee and attempt a contest like this. He is very explosive and for the relatively short time playing has spent a lot of time messing with disc flight and can work some lines.

Our club party we have a distance comp. The year he started playing I won open with a 520' throw, and he won intermediate with a 550'er...It was bittersweet cause it was the last one I won and it didn't feel like winning, but I imagine the other intermediate players were more upset. He was still pretty rough and it took a ridiculous throw, I am sure he is capable of 600+ in calm conditions now without too crazy of a line. It was bittersweet cause it was the last one I won and it didn't feel like winning

I say define "throw 500 feet" . Do you mean consistently? How is the measurement done - is it where the disc stops? Does the disc have to travel through the air? That is important - Eagle "threw" a roller that went over 700 feet. The recent disc golf long throw (I don't recall the real name) contest, players were throwing over 500 feet....but they weren't doing it consistently. In fact, most were using the wind to get the carry. Does that count or does your "throw 500 feet" question only pertain to 'no wind, no downhill' throws?

A lot of variables before the question can be answered.

I say define "throw 500 feet" . Do you mean consistently? How is the measurement done - is it where the disc stops? Does the disc have to travel through the air? That is important - Eagle "threw" a roller that went over 700 feet. The recent disc golf long throw (I don't recall the real name) contest, players were throwing over 500 feet....but they weren't doing it consistently. In fact, most were using the wind to get the carry. Does that count or does your "throw 500 feet" question only pertain to 'no wind, no downhill' throws?

A lot of variables before the question can be answered.

I've never met a 1000+ rated player who couldn't throw 500ft on demand. There are elite throwers who are pushing high 600, even 700. But everyone on tour is putting 500 on demand. Paul isn't known for his distance but is a 600ft thrower.