• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can someone be successful throwing strictly forehand or backhand?

Another factor---don't know if this applies to anyone else, or just me.

I'm a weak backhand player but a terrible forehand player. I resort to it so rarely that the clowns I play tournaments with reach for their cameras when I take a forehand stance.

But I played at Ashe County where I had some long, steep uphill upshots, with a stance on a steep slope that allowed no footwork. (Probably better players don't end up in these situations, but I sure did). Once I was out of contention, I discovered that I can stand-and-deliver a 45 degree uphill shot much further forehand than backhand.

Another advantage to throwing both is sometimes you can work around an injury that hurts throwing backhand, but not forehand. Particularly knee injuries. (This advice primarily for Masters & above).

I would say having a good BH is important for success. Adding a FH will certainly give you more options. I threw mostly FH to start off, and then worked on my BH. Now I out-distance my FH, and can throw consistently with the BH. Every once in a while I'll pull out the FH, just depends on the situation (winds, skippage, height of shot, terrain, what the disc will do when it lands). Now even on certain shots that I used to throw FH, I'll throw an anhyzer. Having more tools in the bag and executing all of them will definitely be an advantage. Having a good BH though I think is the most important.

yes as long as you are using both hands for backhand (JK) but I find that some shots for approaches and utility shots need to be played with a forhand because the motion is shorter for tight confines.

There are a few pros that play primarily FH/OH off the top of my head Mark Ellis and Ville Piippo. They have had success maybe not world champions but certainly racked up some good placements in very competitive tournaments.

Cheers - Koffee

There are a few pros that play primarily FH/OH off the top of my head Mark Ellis and Ville Piippo. They have had success maybe not world champions but certainly racked up some good placements in very competitive tournaments.

Cheers - Koffee
Piippo is a former European champion. Probably the only thing keeping him from being more even more successful is his sometimes erratic putting (something that seems to be common for most European players, judging by what I've seen in the Presidents Cups...) and his (seemingly) pretty frequent injuries. He's been hovering around the 1000 rating mark this year (down from 1020 in 2009), and for the majority of the season he hasn't even been able to throw anything but backhand. Pretty incredible if you ask me, since the only backhands I've seen in his older videos have been putts. Hopefully he gets everything sorted and The Monster will make a comeback.

Piippo is a former European champion. Probably the only thing keeping him from being more even more successful is his sometimes erratic putting (something that seems to be common for most European players, judging by what I've seen in the Presidents Cups...) and his (seemingly) pretty frequent injuries. He's been hovering around the 1000 rating mark this year (down from 1020 in 2009), and for the majority of the season he hasn't even been able to throw anything but backhand. Pretty incredible if you ask me, since the only backhands I've seen in his older videos have been putts. Hopefully he gets everything sorted and The Monster will make a comeback.

Yeah his putting has given him some troubles in the past. But the OH/FH is pretty amazing and fun to watch. Hope he gets healthy.

Koffee

Latest posts