• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can someone be successful throwing strictly forehand or backhand?

Topper_34_1

Hey guys hows it going? I have been playing disc golf for about 4 years now and I have no backhand at all. I played baseball for 10 years so the forehand throw is what came natural to me. Playing with other people I have never had a problem beating them because i have learned to throw the FH different ways to fit different holes. So.... My question is do you guys think that a person that only has one set throwing technique can be successful in tournaments or not? Thanks for your time.

Aaron Talley

all backhand? sure

all forehand? maybe

but it's best to be able to do both......unless you're the champ

Sure. But the ability and confidence to hit several lines with both techniques will put one ahead of the competition. My best analogy is a soccer player that only plays with one foot versus two.

I throw both RHBH and LHBH equally well. I have seen several people who do this. What I have never seen, however, is someone who can throw both RHFH and LHFH really well. That is the holy grail of disc golf awesomeness IMHO...

You can become a total badass with your feet if you practice enough. But like others have said, if you have both a BH and a FH, you have that many more shots in your bag.
The more shots you have = the easier it will be on any course.

develop a anhyzer game, and carry lots of flippy discs, thats how I play good on righty courses

Well, I believe it is hard to be successful with just one. As they have stated, more shots I your bag=easier to beat the course. You can do it with one, but you have be a juggernaut with it. What is good about having a killer forehand is when it comes time for doubles, pick a partner with a killer backhand then you will dominate.

depends on several things:

how well you can putt/approach? can you throw ANY backhand ie. approaches?

how refined is your FH? can you throw straight/turnover shots with a midrange over 300'?

what is your definition of 'successful'?

based on your profile info, you have only played 12 courses. i would also assume that you have not played many or any tournaments based on how you worded the original post. best thing i can recommend is sign up for tourneys and try to play lots of varied courses and see how you do.

Last edited:
The more types of throws you have (BH, FH, Overhead), the more you have to practice to keep all those shots refined. The same philosophy can be applied to the amount of discs carried.
*For a new player, I'd recommend one type of throw. Take that throwing style and be meticulous in developing a flawless technique. Only after one technique has been mastered should one consider more throwing styles.

I don't think ive ever seen Nikko throw a forehand.

OP - Although you may be very good at forehand, i recommend working on the backhand. I used to throw 95% forehand and sometimes there were just shots that I couldn't make. It's hard to throw a right to left skip shot forehand!

i've recently started throwing a few forehands, which i can do fairly well due to a few years of ultimate. but i feel that the forehand does weird stuff to your elbow so i'd rather learn to throw left hand backhand. also being able to be ambedextrious is good for your brain.

but to answer your question, yes. if you have the right discs and skills you can do fine

I heard from a friend that some pros have worked on being able to throw backhand both ways. He's thrown Nikkos name out there, but I don't have a video or anything to back that up. In my opinion, to be able to do that consistently would be more useful.

Latest posts