• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can someone be successful throwing strictly forehand or backhand?

Is it possible? Sure. Just like it's POSSIBLE to break the distance record with a 10M brick... Is it likely? Well, that depends on your definition of successful. I'd say probably not. Unless you have a RIDICULOUS array of discs in your bag to turn all kinds of different directions at different distances, the probability of you being able to consistently perform across all courses is going to be severely limited. For instance. You are playing a 545' with dogleg left at 300' (assuming this is RHFH?). RHBH would be easy, RHFH, not so much. Is that to say it's impossible? No. As ATL_SCOTT said, KC can pretty much do whatever he wants with is BH, so yeah it's possible to be successful with one or the other, but as long as your name is Aaron Talley and not Ken Climo, the odds are against you! lol

I heard from a friend that some pros have worked on being able to throw backhand both ways. He's thrown Nikkos name out there, but I don't have a video or anything to back that up. In my opinion, to be able to do that consistently would be more useful.

If you want to Nikko throw lefty I am pretty sure he pulls one out on video during the Music City Open coverage.

Yes you can be very successful with only one style. I have seen plenty of all BH and all FH players that are excellent. The secret is to master your chosen style and putt well. Good putting can cover up alot of other flaws. Personally I throw both FH and BH.

I throw 99% lhbh. I'll use a fh to get out of trouble only. When I through a forehand my arm screams FUC*k YOU!!!

what is your definition of 'successful'?

Exactly.

If defined as anything other than winning Open at the top level, then the answer is "definitely". There are plenty of players winning tournaments at all divisions while throwing only backhand. And some forehand, as well.

Another variable is the kind of courses you play. Some are easier played exclusively one way than others.

None of which should be construed as advocacy of limiting yourself to forehand or backhand. Everything else being equal, having both capabilities is quite useful.

A few points...

1. A bh has more spin than a fh, thus holding a perfectly straight line for longer is easier with a bh.

2. J.M. Barry in 1000+ and I believe he's mostly fh (so "good" can be had with only fh).

3. While the actual flight of the 2 (rhbh hyzer and rhfh any) may be similar, their respective fades / skip-outs aren't - so the result will be different.

4. Combining 3 above with the fact that many more holes (of courses in the ground presently) are designed by rhbh'ers wanting to throw hyzers, and you have a case of rhbh is "THE shot" in dg now. IMO, hopefully the designers of the future will add a little variety :thmbup: .

Karl

Of course you can become good with either.

Even though ONLY forehand would also mean FH putting, and I have never seen anyone with a good forehand putt.

but apart from that, definitly possible.

Of course you can become good with either.

Even though ONLY forehand would also mean FH putting, and I have never seen anyone with a good forehand putt.

but apart from that, definitly possible.

I've seen, and lost to, a good forehand putter. It is, admittedly, pretty rare.

3. While the actual flight of the 2 (rhbh hyzer and rhfh any) may be similar, their respective fades / skip-outs aren't - so the result will be different.

4. Combining 3 above with the fact that many more holes (of courses in the ground presently) are designed by rhbh'ers wanting to throw hyzers, and you have a case of rhbh is "THE shot" in dg now. IMO, hopefully the designers of the future will add a little variety :thmbup: .

Karl

I'm seeing more new courses---more challenging new courses---that reward players who throw both. They have holes that favor RHBH anhyzer, holes that favor RHFH hyzer, and their lefty equivalents.

all backhand? sure

all forehand? maybe

but it's best to be able to do both......unless you're the champ

i've heard similar to this over and over the past few years. i've even seen a few interviews with traveling pro's that talk about how weak their forehands are.

i've heard of people that haven't thrown a forehand in years, but i've never heard it's reverse.

i'd even go so far as to so that if your forehand is going farther than your backhand then you're doing something wrong.

but don't listen to me, i'm an 861 rated player ;)

I think it is a must to have more than one throw in your bag. I have not mastered the backhand yet. I do however have the thumber mastered and my FH is not so shabby.

It is intersting to hear all the opinions on this topic. As I look at all the World Champs and USDGC champs that I have had the opportunity to play with or watch, they pretty much all have one thing in common. They all basically rely on a backhanded throw. Rely may not be the best term. Perhaps I should say that they predominately use their backhand since they can make it dance every which way. Then they putt lights out!

As someone who cant drive forehand (My approaches are pretty good) I must say I do feel like im missing something , no matter what I do I cant get a disc to fade right at the end of its path(RH), I can throw an anny that comes back left , or one that flies off right. But I cant get that shape that a forehander can get on some holes.

As someone who cant drive forehand (My approaches are pretty good) I must say I do feel like im missing something , no matter what I do I cant get a disc to fade right at the end of its path(RH), I can throw an anny that comes back left , or one that flies off right. But I cant get that shape that a forehander can get on some holes.

For approach anhyzers to keep going right, I used a super light [150ish] dx leopard. I use it only for those shots.

I usually throw...

I could not throw backhand at all at first. My side-arm throw was decent, so I used that until I developed my backhand. Funny thing is now I'm better with my backhand & I can turn a disc over, etc. so I dont throw forehand as much. If I do need to throw a side-arm shot, it is now pretty difficult for me. I think it's what you get used to throwing.

**Note: I use all shots to get through a round including BH, FH. Overhead thumbers & Tommys. Rollers, upside-down disc throws, spike hyzers, etc. Whatever it takes to get my disc into zee basket!

One thing that has not yet been mentioned in this thread: Fatigue.

When I played my first 2-day 4-round tourney, my backhand drive felt dead by the end of the 4th round. I was very glad to have a forehand that I can throw on almost any hole, straight or right or left, understable or overstable plastic. It uses different muscle groups obviously, so it is a great way to spread the fatigue out. Maybe this doesn't matter for touring pros who play a couple rounds a day all week long and are obviously in great shape, but for me it is a big help!

Another point not raised yet: Two different ways to throw, doubles the chance of finding that groove where the drives are just working

Sometimes I have one of those rounds where the backhand drives are just not working for whatever reason. That can cause a confidence problem that can snowball on me and ruin the round if I let it. But I can pull out the forehand, and see if that is working that day. Maybe I can rely on it for a few holes, to help struggle through a tough round, then I can get back on track and get the confidence going again.

Latest posts