• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carlsbad & Claremont, CA

illuminatefreak

Par Member
So I'll be going on a weeks long vacation in April to California... staying with friends at Carlsbad and visiting friends for a couple days in Claremont.

Suggestions please. Looking to play 4-5 courses.

Would love some company on the courses if you're interested in playing together.

April's a ways out, but I'd likely be down to show you around. Morley is a fun course right in the downtown San Diego area, pay to play and very nicely kept, fun shots but very very crowded. Best to play there early in the morning on a weekday. Keep your ears open, most folks are good about yelling fore, but it's crammed in to a small area with some crossing fairways so discs do pretty regularly end up on other fairways.

Goat Hill in Oceanside is a fun longer course, pretty open but some elevation and scattered trees. It's shared with a golf course, not terribly crowded when I've been there and the golfers seemed to know what was going on.

Kit Carson is a public park in Escondido, pretty flat with enough trees that there are some fun technical shots and a little bit of length. This one is full of picnickers on a nice weekend afternoon, but not too bad in the mornings or during the week if school is in session.

Brengle Terrace in Vista is the most technical in the area, lots of trees and it's one of the few courses in the area that has enough brush to actually punish errant shots (though not so thick you'll usually have to search too much for discs). There's also some really nice elevation here, though unfortunately mostly uphill holes due to some restrictions during the design process.

After that you're down to less interesting courses. the Cal State San Marcos course has some wide open field shots and some fun but very short holes right through campus (not playable when students are walking around). Montiel in San Marcos is a fun 9 hole course, pretty open but plays up and down a hill with dual tees that change things up quite a bit.

A little further north in Murrieta (probably about an hour drive) Mountain Pride is a decent course. Reasonably technical with some small elevation and a couple longer shots mixed in. Dual tees on about half the holes change things up. It's got way too many crossing fairways, and is tough to navigate so make sure you take a map.

Hit me up when you have a plan, with some warning I can make it out to any of those courses. :thmbup:

I'd likely be playing early morning rounds (usually play at sunrise with a couple guys twice a week). Doesn't need to be that early, but something in the morning is what I'd be shooting for.

Those sound great. I'll be sure to connect when it gets closer to see if we can plan a round together.

Mashnut hit the nail on the head with the courses. If you come to Morley I'm usually there most weekends at 5:30-6am, reach out when you head down if you'd like to join our group.

yeah morely at 6 you can ususally get 2 rounds in before it gets too crazy! if you hit me up while you are here ill meet up with you and am down to meet you at any course down here. if you ahve the time i would also suggest hitting up La Mirada(id drive if you were down) its a couple hours north.

Hmmm... I'll be with my wife and kid, so rolling out for a two hour drive (both ways) plus the play time on the course could be a hard sell. I guess it'll depend on the schedule we end up with once we start getting closer to the actual dates. Would definitely be down for it though if we have the time.

Latest posts