• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

CE vs Glow Whippet X

CaptainAnhyzer

* Ace Member *
Anyone thrown both the 1st Run Champ Whippet and the Glow Whippet X ?

The CEs aren't getting any cheaper and if the glow ones fly similiar enough I may just switch.

I'm very interested in trying the glow whippets. I think that's the only variation I haven't thrown. My question is, can you get the same skip from them? The firmness of the CE whippet gives it a really reliable skip that has bailed me out many many times.

The CE and glow are two different discs. The CE is more stable and predictable. The glow is a great disc, just not quite what the CE version is.

I've never thrown the CE whippets but I love the glows.. the glow plastic is virtually indestructable... they take a long time to beat in and even then are still very overstable IMO... and if you're worrying about skipping them, they skip very well!! It's my go to disc if i need a skip shot. It's one of my favorite discs because of some of the special things it can do.

What dazed said. The glows are still beefy but go straighter,longer than the ce's.almost like comparing a 12x domey fb to a flat pro candy...not night and day differenve but noticeable. Ive owned and thrown both and the ce's are pure beef and damn near indestructible. The glows can take a beating but the blend of glow plastic isnt what it used to be and not as bullet proof as the ce's. For cheap throwers,id just go glow.

Snapped a quick profile pic of the two. The CE has a slightly more concave wing, but hardly noticable.

This is actually a fairly domey CE Whippet fyi.

dsc0729q.jpg

What I'm really looking for that reliable "meat hook" ending to the CE's flight. Truthfully that disc is only in my bag for that shot. The KC Pro ones are great but the rugged terrain on my home course beats them flippy within a year.

Thanks for all the responses ! :thmbup:

Try a Lat 64 XXX in opto. I have one in GL...and love it. It is a little less stable than Opto, but extremely dependable. It does the same thing, over and over, regardless of the wind.

Trident is also an option. I've been using a super flat opto in place of it. I was using the KC Pro whippet, but like you said it gets beat up to easily. Also opto feels almost like late run CE which is a bonus!

Just because a disc is overstable doesn't mean it compares to a Whippet. People throw Whippets because they are one of the most unique discs and some of the stuff you can make them do won't be duplicated by anything else.

I agree(to a certain extent), as I also have thrown whippets and Vipers. Just mentioning and easily replaceable alternative for less $$$.

I agree(to a certain extent), as I also have thrown whippets and Vipers. Just mentioning and easily replaceable alternative for less $$$.
this.

I remember that someone gave me a Gateway Spirit and it was WAY more of a meathook. You could literally throw it with enough anhyzer to expect a BH roller and it would flip over and go left.

Just because a disc is overstable doesn't mean it compares to a Whippet. People throw Whippets because they are one of the most unique discs and some of the stuff you can make them do won't be duplicated by anything else.

I throw a Glo Champ Whippet-X.
I started throwing Whippets becasue I played in a tourney with a guy that did some amazing things with it. Once I found out it was a Whippet, I got one.
I can't tell you how many times that disc has saved me par or even gotten me birdies when I was throwing out of jail.
Love me some Whippet.

I have a FT Glo Champ FB that's a meathook. But it's harder to shape lines because it needs a faster arm than i have.

agreed. xxx is nothing like a whippet

I have to argue that point...as I have a KC PRO whippet, glo whippet, dx viper, champ viper, Gold line and OPTO XXX, and an 11x KC Banshee. The XXX is very much like a whippet when thrown correctly. It IS a little faster than said disc, But the OPTO has less glide and flies like my 11x kc pro whippet.

The glows can take a beating but the blend of glow plastic isnt what it used to be and not as bullet proof as the ce's.

^^^ 2003-05 champion glow is imo the best all around plastic innova has ever produced.

Ive been thinking almost the same thing lately. I throw kc whippets and I was looking into getting a glo champ for the durability because I'm tired of buying a new kc whippet every time it beats too much in. Its getting to be a toll on the pocket book, so yea how do the glo champs compare to the kc pro

My opinion is that the glows are more stable than the KC PRO's after being thrown....so are the XXX's. The XXX's have more glide, but fly like a whippet. Get a 171ish Gold line if you want it to fly like a whippet. Throw lots of thumbers, and BAM...whippet.

Yea, theres no way I'm join to switch to that swedish crap. I like whippets, not something like a whippet.

I have to argue that point...as I have a KC PRO whippet, glo whippet, dx viper, champ viper, Gold line and OPTO XXX, and an 11x KC Banshee. The XXX is very much like a whippet when thrown correctly. It IS a little faster than said disc, But the OPTO has less glide and flies like my 11x kc pro whippet.
xxx feels different, flies different, skips different. what does thrown correctly mean? i know the xxx gets lots of love here, but personnally i never thought it was particularly good at anything.