• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chainstarred???

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I never calculated the percent of putts that would be made without the chains. I'm just saying the current baskets are only sensitive to the up/down and right/left accuracy of pro putts.

You say, "the percent of putts made would go down with the cube of the distance". If you mean the percent of putts currently made, some of those putts go in without touching the chains. (Or without needing the chains to go in).

If you add in that third dimension you speak of, then all putts would go in without touching chains. (Or the chains would have no effect on whether the disc goes in or not).

Since some putts are already made without needing the chains, that would have to be taken into consideration when calculating the percent of putts. Wouldn't you have to adjust for those putts that already don't need chains when you calculate your "proportion to the square of the distance from the target"?

Two observations, the first is that I've now read posts where people have complained about every basket on the market (used in competitive play). Second, my eyes are never recovering from the sight of Nikko in triangles and leopard spots.

There might be a quicker way of finding out, but can anyone tell me what the hell those baskets are at Earlewood in Columbia, SC? My son had a football game nearby, so I was able to get in a dozen holes before kickoff...Really fun little course, I must say. (I won't comment on a 285-foot par 4, though. Nope, won't even mention it.)

I had never seen anything like those baskets before. Plastic dome on top, and the chains don't "ring" in a pleasing, musical way; they sound dead, and definitely don't "accept" a hard-ish spin-putt, so I found myself lofting a bit more, which seemed to help.

Take me to school, please.

i have been told Earlewood is the only course in existence with all 18 baskets of this style.
these would have come with MACH1 style shallow baskets with the big nubs. so i am guessing they have been upgraded (basket wise). i haven't seen or heard of any with a plastic dome. the ones i play on have a galvanized steel dome and have fittings on the inside to mount a hardwired light for night time play. they were donated as matching baskets to the state when Henry Horton State Park was laid out in 1987. originally installed at the Nashville Airport for day/night time pay to play around 1981 (?). so they predate the Mach2 (maybe a first incarnation) as the seem to have original inner chains. the toplink of the outer chains is bolted to the dome so it does make a unique sound as the chains don't slide, makes for a little less swing as well. there is a great picture of one here.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=166&mode=media&start=2&page=1&cimg=140512#

Hortons baskets are slated to be upgraded to Prodigy sometime next year. i wonder if i will miss them. right now there are 8 dome top , 9 mach 2's and a Mach 3 on this course.

I made a compilation of round 1 of the 2014 PDGA MPO championships which had Steve Brinster getting KILLED by spit outs from Innova *DiscNONcatchers.

* i actually believe innova discatchers are great baskets because they catch weakside puts even when high on my spin putt.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3148227&postcount=47

i personally think the best catching baskets (for all types of putters / spin/ push/ fast /slow/ hyzer/anyhyzer/high/low/strong or weak side) are Innova Discatcher Pro baskets.....

but even those (which are the ones they use for all the DGWT events) can have HORRRIFIC SPIT OUTS.

2014 World Championships... Steve Brinster...

Compiled spit outs from Steve Brinster's 2014 worlds IN ONE ROUND!!! (man if you computed the strokes from his spit outs you realize how close he was to that top card in the end).

https://youtu.be/XuDbL6ciARA?t=169
https://youtu.be/XuDbL6ciARA?t=394 (not a spit out but spit back!)
https://youtu.be/XuDbL6ciARA?t=634 (aaaaaallllmoooossst)
https://youtu.be/XuDbL6ciARA?t=945
https://youtu.be/XuDbL6ciARA?t=1580

mach x and prodigy baskets catch pretty much all fast center putts... but have horrific push outs for soft putters. all baskets have strengths and weaknesses.

You say, "the percent of putts made would go down with the cube of the distance". If you mean the percent of putts currently made, some of those putts go in without touching the chains. (Or without needing the chains to go in).

If you add in that third dimension you speak of, then all putts would go in without touching chains. (Or the chains would have no effect on whether the disc goes in or not).

Since some putts are already made without needing the chains, that would have to be taken into consideration when calculating the percent of putts. Wouldn't you have to adjust for those putts that already don't need chains when you calculate your "proportion to the square of the distance from the target"?

No adjustment needed. The fit of pro putts made to the square of the distance does not distinguish what kind of putt was good. The most likely explanation is that not many putts by pros go in without needing chains. At least not enough to show up in the fit. Or, if they do make chainless putts, those putts are made at the same speed as other good putts.

You're probably thinking of Am putts. For Ams, there is already 3/4ths of a third dimension. I thought it was because they were adjusting their putting speed to limit the length of the come-backers, but it could be some of those chainless made putts, I guess.

No adjustment needed. The fit of pro putts made to the square of the distance does not distinguish what kind of putt was good. The most likely explanation is that not many putts by pros go in without needing chains. At least not enough to show up in the fit. ...

Would you call those putts statistically insignificant?

I made a compilation of round 1 of the 2014 PDGA MPO championships which had Steve Brinster getting KILLED by spit outs from Innova *DiscNONcatchers.

Wow. How certain are you that he didn't use his putter as a plate for fried chicken before the round?

i have been told Earlewood is the only course in existence with all 18 baskets of this style.
these would have come with MACH1 style shallow baskets with the big nubs. so i am guessing they have been upgraded (basket wise). i haven't seen or heard of any with a plastic dome. the ones i play on have a galvanized steel dome and have fittings on the inside to mount a hardwired light for night time play. they were donated as matching baskets to the state when Henry Horton State Park was laid out in 1987. originally installed at the Nashville Airport for day/night time pay to play around 1981 (?). so they predate the Mach2 (maybe a first incarnation) as the seem to have original inner chains. the toplink of the outer chains is bolted to the dome so it does make a unique sound as the chains don't slide, makes for a little less swing as well. there is a great picture of one here.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=166&mode=media&start=2&page=1&cimg=140512#

Hortons baskets are slated to be upgraded to Prodigy sometime next year. i wonder if i will miss them. right now there are 8 dome top , 9 mach 2's and a Mach 3 on this course.

Beautiful. This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, but didn't really expect. :D

And I believe you're right about the domes. I said "plastic," but now that I think about it, they were probably coated with some kind of thick latex paint that made me think hallucinate or something. They also (most of them) had a decal arrow pointing to the next tee, so that's what I focused on more than the actual material.
It never occurred to me to look up inside of them for any kind of lighting. That would be most excellent...

Finally, a part of me believes, now, that ALL baskets should have the dome. It would eliminate those instances when a high putt gets caught up there for an easy drop-in. Much better to be penalized for it, and have the disc slide off the dome and make one work for the next one...