• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Challenger SS

threw mine vs a JB roach and a JB magnet today. The Challenger ss has a little bit more hss then the roach, but about the same lss. when i throw the roach at 90 percent i get some drift to the right before fading back to the left on a RHBH throw. With the challenger ss i didn't get that drift. I would put its stability right between the roach and the challenger, but just a touch closer to the roach same a 0.3 on the discraft scale. The glide in the C ss might be just a touch more then the roach as it was 3'-5' farther when thrown on the same lines. the C ss seem to FH well as it would stand up turn a little and fade back on 200' throws. Not a big arm so most of my throw were in the 200'-225' range.

Last edited:
If this comes out in Big Z or another durable plastic I'll give it a test.

I actually think that is a fair assessment. They flip flat but not over for me when thrown hard. Good LSS at this point of their lives. Less glide than a Roach, and faster, seemingly, than either of the molds you mentioned.

So most are finding that it's more stable than a Roach? Not sure if I need that in my life. Roach stability is just right for putting and appRoaching.

Ordered a Pro-D Challenger SS a couple weeks ago and something about it just felt right. I was getting a smooth and consistent release putting from 40ft and shorter. I ordered an OS as well but the bead just felt uncomfortable in my hand so I decided to sell it instead of giving it a chance. The SS has a serious chance of taking the P2 out of my bag.

So most are finding that it's more stable than a Roach? Not sure if I need that in my life. Roach stability is just right for putting and appRoaching.

I see what you did there. :thmbup:

Can someone please post a profile pic of the challySS vs a roach? ...or maybe even vs just a reg chally?

Thanks!.:hfive:

I see what you did there. :thmbup:

Can someone please post a profile pic of the challySS vs a roach? ...or maybe even vs just a reg chally?

Thanks!.:hfive:

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

I was hoping to compare the roach to the challenger ss. Thanks though!

Yeah, I got that bit. But if you look at my first set of pics, the ChallengerSS is an exact copy of a Challenger, just with it's bead shaved off. Comparing a Roach's profile to a regular Challenger should give you all the info you need.

Glad to see some variations of the Challenger being produced. Now let's see a......
Banger SS:
A beadless Banger GT would be incredible. Something in the .5 stability range. How is thing not happening?

Anyone able to compare Jawbreaker Roach vs Jawbreaker Challanger SS? Inbounds has their stabilities rated the same. Is it just a difference of feel?

My experience is that the CSS is faster and maybe less HSS? The JB Roach can and will do some amazing things, including late turn like few other discs I have ever thrown. CSS is to Buzzz SS as JB Roach is to Meteor. An overhead view might be similar, but the Roach will want more height, and also glide more. They do also feel different, with the Roach being a bit taller, IIRC.

i finally got to throw one... discraft sure is crowding their line up with stable putters. im not sure this is any more than an "average" disc

I see your point. I am throwing a Roach, and putting with the Challenger SS. Just feels better to me. That might change in the advent that they release the CSS in a premium plastic.

^^^same. I'm on the fence about bagging the Challenger SS over the Roach. The SS in D and Jawbreaker, is as stable as my Roaches in BigZ and Ti, so if a premium SS came out, I'd probably like the range of stabilities in one mold. Putt a regular Challenger, approach and drive with the SS.

I prefer the feel of the Roach just a tad bit more for driving, though. That convex rim is such a comfortable shape for my power grip. I'm toying with the idea of putting JB Roaches, just to have some more conformity in the bag. Might do a trial period.

Got a couple JB Challenger SS's in the mail today. Took them out to the course to test them against my JB Roaches. I only used them for putting 30'-in and the winds were swirling a bit.

Even though the Challenger SS is supposed to be more shallow, the Roach still felt smaller in my hand overall. I think it's because the Roach has a more rounded nose which sits in my palm better. Other than that they felt similar.

The flights for putting 30'-in were really similar too. They both are steady straight all the way to the basket. Don't have to worry about either hyzering out or getting flippy. The stability was very close but I noticed the Challenger SS had more glide. When I putt with the Roach, it will start to sink 2/3 of the distance to the basket. Didn't notice that with the Challenger SS. It sustained the level of release all the way in. My JB Roaches really feel like a glide # of 2.5 where the CSS (done typing that whole thing out) was in the 3 - 3.5 territory.

I'll keep testing them out but as of now I feel committed to the JB Roach for putting.

Got a JB Chally SS from a buddy and never looked back. Perfectly straight right out of the box. Holds the line I put her on :)

:thmbup::thmbup: from me

Can't find the Challenger OS thread, but Spinners on the Green has the Challenger OS in ESP. I'd be interested in hearing how they fly if anyone decides to try them out.

Latest posts