• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Challenger SS

Any news on this being released in a premium plastic? This would be an awesome disc in titanium or swirly esp. The roach just doesn't work out for me comfort wise, and the Luna goes too far for a throwing putter. It could replace my buzzz.

Just wanted to bump this and see if I could get some more discussion going. I picked one of these up yesterday and I'm testing it out as a putting putter. The feel in hand is phenomenal. Beadless, shallow and round. It reminds me a lot of a more shallow roach, a reko, or a pure with a round nose. So far it seems to be putting better than the reko for me. Straighter, more glide and a bit slower.

Highly recommend at least trying one out if your looking for a shallow beadless putter.

Also this would probably make an excellent throwing putter in premium plastic.

So the SS is more shallow than the LUNA or ROACH? hmm sounds interesting, i have tried most of Discrafts putter lineup but not the SS or OS for some reason

comparison of challenger SS and jawbreaker roach. Roach on the left challenger on the right.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qglhJwD

also if someone could help me figure out image tags that would be great.

Seriously though, the challenger SS has got to be one of the most comfortable,shallow beadless putters I've felt.

Last edited:
also if someone could help me figure out image tags that would be great.

Normaly you can just open the picture in Chrome and "right click" on it then chose "copy picture adress" ( or what it says in English, i have Swedish Chrome ) and the paste it here. . .but your picture was very large so i did it like this.

Open the picture, copy paste it to paint and then save it as large as you like.
chose attach pic and upload the pic

Then open the pic here, right clic on it and copy picture adress

attachment.php

Then paste the pic in the forum, and it will look like this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• roach vs Chal SS.JPG
    roach vs Chal SS.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 128
  • test.JPG
    test.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 129
Love the Chally SS it's my putting and throwing putter. I was using the Luna m for a while and recently switched back. Hand feel is perfect and the flight is so damn straight.

Preach! I wish it would be more popular. I'm worried it will go OOP. Also would love to see a premium plastic version. Apparently Austin hannum bags them. Maybe if some more pros would bag this it would get more popular.

Preach! I wish it would be more popular. I'm worried it will go OOP. Also would love to see a premium plastic version. Apparently Austin hannum bags them. Maybe if some more pros would bag this it would get more popular.

Same. I've been putting with one since they came out, and I was switching putters monthly before. I would love a plastic that holds up in the woods. I feel like discraft is just going to let this one die out unfortunately. They haven't released any premium plastics or made any marketing pushes. It's a shame because it flies so similar to the roach, it just has much better name, and a better hand feel for me.

Same. I've been putting with one since they came out, and I was switching putters monthly before. I would love a plastic that holds up in the woods. I feel like discraft is just going to let this one die out unfortunately. They haven't released any premium plastics or made any marketing pushes. It's a shame because it flies so similar to the roach, it just has much better name, and a better hand feel for me.

Yep, in a stiffer plastic this would hands down be my favorite putting putter. It's a shame that will never happen.

Never know, they still make the Putt'r in Soft X despite the plastic the mold is in being very unpopular. I do not think this mold will end up OOP if Discraft has not yet made OOP the Putt'r in its current single production plastic. They did a Pro D Putt'r one time in 2000's when the mold first came out, but after that nope only Soft X save for that one limited run in Z/Crystal Z.

Dang, you have the Roach, the Luna, the Chally SS... fans of neutral unbeaded putters are feasting

This thread got me motivated to find a disc comparable to a chally ss in flight and hand feel, but in premium plastic. I ended up picking up a neutron MVP Spin and it fills the spot nicely. It feels familiar in the hand, and it flies almost identical lines when compared to my worn pro d Challenger SS. So I guess I'm content if discraft never produces this mold in a premium plastic.

Picked up one of these in Jawbreaker recently, I was looking for something to replace my Swan 1 Reborn as an US throwing putter, I like the Swan but it's getting to be too US.

Was really surprised by the Challenger SS, I throw Pures in gold line plastic (ESP or Star equiv) and the Challenger SS was a touch more stable then them. Lines and throws where the Pures will move right and stay on that path the Challenger SS just rode straight and faded out, really surprised me, wondering if I have an oddball one, thought it may be a misstamped regular Challenger at first but it doesn't have the bead.

Trying now to work it into the bag as I really like the Jawbreaker feel over the Gold Line plastic in the colder months for short touch shots, interested also in seeing how it breaks in.

Yep, I never noticed a difference in stability between the challenger and the SS version.

Wondering if there's much difference in the OS from the normal version or if it's just a big bead and same flight.

Yep, I never noticed a difference in stability between the challenger and the SS version.

Wondering if there's much difference in the OS from the normal version or if it's just a big bead and same flight.

I've got a Pro-D OS and an X Soft and Cryztal Chally and the OS is more OS than my Cryztal and X Soft regular Challys. I kind of want an SS now, especially if it might be a bargain Luna option.

I felt the Challenger SS was actually more stable than a normal Challenger. I would often turn over a regular Chally, but the SS would hold straight every time. Had them both in Jawbreaker. OS (only had in D) had more dump.

I even though at first that the Luna was a rebranded Challenger SS in a different plastic. They feel very similar, same depth feel but the nose is a little different now that I have one of each to compare.

That'd be the Roach.

The chally ss definitely starts off more stable than expected. It is basically a Luna with a little less distance potential. Where I really love it is after 6 months or so of putting, they beat in to hyzer-flip, slow turning throwing putters. I've been cycling them for a few years now. The first couple I got were in a firm pro d plastic, but I feel the plastic has become softer with the more recent runs.

They CSS has a more blunt edge than the Roach right?

I had a couple CSS's before but passed on them before really learning them & I forget the profile.

They CSS has a more blunt edge than the Roach right?

I had a couple CSS's before but passed on them before really learning them & I forget the profile.

I wouldn't say more blunt. I'd say similar, with a marginally lower total height. Very like and Aviar, imo. My conjecture is that the Fierce is in fact a Roach top with the CSS bottom. YMMV