• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Championship Courses"

I agree with most of what's been said. With no governing body to define use of the term, it's akin to calling a food "lite."

In my mind, it connotes a course that's not only challenging enough for top level players, but also suitable for hosting a top level event.

A layout that's long and challenging, with legit par 4's and 5's is a good start. But a truly championship caliber course should be an example of "a course done right," and represent the game in a positive light. There's more to that than just distance and challenge.

It must have decent tees and baskets, and preferably at least porta-johns... because chit happens, and players shouldn't be forced to use leaves while chasing down the leader, or protecting a lead.

Ideally, it should also be well-maintained, but that's really more about being "tournament ready" than it is about being "championship caliber."

Ahh, but there is. PDGA has guidelines for gold (championship) courses.

Championship is often (and I think should be) used synonymously with Gold level course as defined by the PDGA: https://www.pdga.com/course-development/skill-level-guidelines

Ahh, but there is. PDGA has guidelines for gold (championship) courses.

Most people who've been playing a while and have some knowledge of the various PDGA divisions understand that "gold level" equates to greatest diffculty and usually the longest layout. Typically, sanctioned events will have the MPO division play a gold level layout (if one exists for that venue).

But that doesn't stop people from using the word "championship" when naming or referring to courses/layouts that fall into the blue or (even white) skill level by the PDGA guidelines.

To OP's point: the word championship is simply overused when it comes to course naming.

Most people who've been playing a while and have some knowledge of the various PDGA divisions understand that "gold level" equates to greatest diffculty and usually the longest layout. Typically, sanctioned events will have the MPO division play a gold level layout (if one exists for that venue).

But that doesn't stop people from using the word "championship" when naming or referring to courses/layouts that fall into the blue or (even white) skill level by the PDGA guidelines.

To OP's point: the word championship is simply overused when it comes to course naming.

I agree with all those things. I am just making the point that the governing body DOES have a standard for calling a course championship or not. The fact that many course don't is just an overall testament to our culture in disc golf -- the allowing each local person to do their own thing. But our governing body DOES have the standard.

7 DGPT courses from the past year rated par as 1010+:

Fox Run: 1010
Maple Hill: 1011
The Fort: 1011
Winthrop: 1013
OTB Open: 1018
Emporia Country Club: 1029 (Par on the windy day rated 1046 and on the calmer day rated 1012)
Northwod Black: 1029
Jones Supreme: 1030

PDGA says it's highest level of course, a Gold course, is anything that rates par at least 970.

Yep, those are the championship-level courses on tour. Not every course on tour is championship level. Courses like Waco, Vegas, etc., are definitely not and should get worked off tour ASAP. These ones on tour, plus probably a half dozen or so that aren't on tour, are, to me the only 15 or so championship-level disc golf courses on the planet.