• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charging Admission Fee to Spectate???

How many of these folks though are true spectators? Am division players who were on another course and early tee timers who are done for the day don't really count. As far as I'm concerned, family members of those people who would not otherwise be at the venue don't either.

Being Pro only anyone not playing in the event that wants to be at the facility would be a spectator. Even family. Do basketball/baseball/football players or golfers family members just get to walk into a park to watch their brother, son, father? Thats exactly who the spectators are in out little niche sport.

Being Pro only anyone not playing in the event that wants to be at the facility would be a spectator. Even family. Do basketball/baseball/football players or golfers family members just get to walk into a park to watch their brother, son, father? Thats exactly who the spectators are in out little niche sport.

Exactly!

In a couple of years they will have a distillery and a large fancy hotel. Did I mention they have a country and rock museum located on the top of a mountain in a Mansion? It is quite a facility. They have plans of having a beer cart girl driving around during casual play. And they are building a Southern Living model home that will soon be a bed and breakfast. Oh yeah, they just received discs for their pro shop and have the only custom stamped Prodigy discs for sale in the world right now. Hiking trails too. Man the list goes on and on. They have an Art Gallery/Indoor Music venue too. I guess they NEED to charge, wouldnt you? lol

Exactly. This sounds more like an admission fee to enjoy the entire facility, not just the disc golf.

That said, I still don't know how many people they expect to pay. Hard to say without knowing the cost.

The scenario you posted is so outside the norm for disc golf that it's close to being unique. Most private courses dont host NT/A tier level events or have anything like the facility you're describing even if they do. On the other hand, there are plenty of courses in public parks that either do or don't charge admission to the park itself. If they don't charge admission, it's impossible to charge them to spectate without closing the park for the day, by its very nature of being public anyone has the right to stand there and watch if they please. Same goes with paid entry public parks, execpt the fee being paid isn't directly to spectate, it's a park admission fee. A private course though, can do pretty much whatever it wants until our out of control government bureaucracy decides that they should set the standard and rules for our own good, because we're not capable of doing it ourselves.
(And if you can't see the day coming when they tell you you can't refuse entry to someone just because they're being obnoxious because it's discriminatory you haven't watched/read payed attention for the last 20 years.)
They can charge anything they want, whether or not the market will support it.. well, that's a different story. Reminds me of all my kids events when they were growing up though, first they charge you for the activity (dance, sports, music whatever, and then they expect you to pay them more to go watch it, even if the profits from that are also going directly to them. and don;t forget to not bring your camera because it's not allowed so they can charge you 30$ for the video ;p And yet we paid anyways.
In extreme disc golf, baskets would be people.. then it might make pay per view.

You could have an oddball situation though where a tournament has paid for use of a public/ private facility, that would possibly allow for charging admission to the section of the facility they had designated, I'd imagine that's how it probably works for the USDGC?

I'm not saying that those folks aren't there to watch, but they aren't in the same realm as people who pay for an admission (or even go there for free) specifically to watch top caliber competition as entertainment.

Or some ambitious state/local parks guy could decide to add a charge to go watch an event being held in the park, which verges on outright thievery since public taxes already pay for the park itself, in addition to possibly charging parking/entry fees.
Don't mind me, I live in NY where everything is taxed and surcharged to death, not like some parts of the country where public land really is public.

I'm not saying that those folks aren't there to watch, but they aren't in the same realm as people who pay for an admission (or even go there for free) specifically to watch top caliber competition as entertainment.
Yeah, it's more like the dance competition scenario I posted above. And those parents, friends, and family don't have any choice but to cough up and not one person in the audience is not one of those three groups. What are they going to do, stay at the hotel out of principle or pay the 10 bucks? It becomes a non choice.
For DG they would probably get a few hardcore fans too though, but not many ;/

Last edited:
I went to Maple Hill to watch the Vibram Open last summer. I liked it so much that I am going to make the 2 1/2 hour drive back. $5 or $10 is nothing to watch the pros play such a beautiful course. :thmbup:

I have spectated before at a local pro only A tier. I had played the am only A tier two weeks before, and then went out to take photos and videos at the pro event. There weren't many spectators although the top pro men's card did have a gallery of 15 or 20 people following it. I was one of maybe 3 people following the pro women's card.

Would I have paid to spectate? Sure. I would have even felt like I had more of a right to be there. As it was, I kind of felt like an intruder. And I think selling tickets to spectate ahead of time might be a way to spark interest in those who don't play disc golf. IT's a lot more natural to ask strangers if they want to buy tickets to something, versus butting in and telling them about the tournament. The ticket purchase opportunity is a natural way to advertise the tournament. Plus, enforcing the ticket requirement would require course control that would help keep casuals from invading the course during the tournament.

I'm not going to pay to watch (or even watch for free) a local A tier. No way. But an NT or M? heck yeah. We pay to watch top pros in EVERY OTHER SPORT, why wouldn't we pay to watch in the sport we all love? If i could pay $10 to watch Tiger and Phil battle it out at a cool course, that'd be a no brainer. Why not the same to watch Paul and Will battle it out at USDGC, or some other cool course.

It really depends on who is there, if i would want to watch. The money isn't the issue, i have no problem chipping in to help the event. But you have to make it worth my while as a spectator.

Booths for sales, booths for drinks and food, bathrooms, demonstrations throughout the day?? Something to make it an experience, not just watch people disc golf.

I do agree with whoever said "Maybe it'll get taken more seriously, if it costs instead of being free" That's a good point. I'm more likely to attend a concert that costs me money than a free concert. i feel more invested and make a point to be there. Perception of value and "meaning something" is reality. We want disc golf to grow bigger, this is the direction it will all go. Just like every other sport.

I'm not going to pay to watch (or even watch for free) a local A tier. No way. But an NT or M? heck yeah. We pay to watch top pros in EVERY OTHER SPORT, why wouldn't we pay to watch in the sport we all love?

I don't know what kind of A tiers you are thinking of, but the one I'm talking about has a $10,000 pro purse and attracts competitors like Wysocki, McBeth, Ulibarri, Feldberg, Locastro, and Mccabe, just to name a few.

I guess not all A Tiers are created equal.

I don't know what kind of A tiers you are thinking of, but the one I'm talking about has a $10,000 pro purse and attracts competitors like Wysocki, McBeth, Ulibarri, Feldberg, Locastro, and Mccabe, just to name a few.

I guess not all A Tiers are created equal.

Like i said a paragraph later, it really depends on who would be there.

Actually Yes. Family and friends of professional athletes typically get in for free. Typically players are allotted a certain number of tickets per game or event for free.

But still, i get your point.

I know this. I almost put it in my statement. But someone pays for theses seats and we are not even close to that level. Sponsors in our sport give out plastic and clothing and maybe help buy in the player. They don't have the ability to fork over admission fees to the only extra people inattendance. We are very niche remember.

Have any of you paid to spectate Disc Golf?

**** no... :\

Your thoughts?

Watching others disc golf is boooring. I'd rather go play (terribly, at that) some ****ty thorn-riddled pitch n' putt by myself than spectate a card of top pros.

When was the last time you went to a DG tourney and there were people there, who went there just to spectate. Not passersby, not players who were done/hadn't started with their rounds, or friends, or family of the players on the course.

Nobody goes just to watch. And now they want to charge us?

:doh:

Edit: Dave spectates. There's one.

I worked weekends for years, preventing me from playing two day tournaments, and often off shifts, preventing me from making start times. I went and spectated often. I have a bunch of non tournament buddies that love to go watch USADGC and DLGO here in Michigan. We volunteer often as well. Could not charge for these events really. They both have many incidental park users who are introduced to the sport by stumbling into these tournaments and end up watching some.

Nobody goes just to watch. And now they want to charge us?

:doh:

Edit: Dave spectates. There's one.

Well for complete disclosure so as not to skew the data, I was in Crown Point all week hosting all the NC & SC players in family house 3-4 miles from the course. I got in the park all week using players' passes (I caddied mainly for my spectating), but for whatever reason things got mixed up on the day of the finals and our family coughed up the $7 for the carload of us to get in. It was well worth it to see our housemate Sarah Stanhope win the ladies' side.

I dont watch the play offs at tournaments I am in. I dont want to pay to watch, but I will pay to park, pay for food, and a few other possibilities.

Watching others disc golf is boooring. I'd rather go play (terribly, at that) some ****ty thorn-riddled pitch n' putt by myself than spectate a card of top pros.

This is a sentiment shared by many players.

I went to an NT event, purely to spectate. Even though it was really cool to see most of the world's top players, it did get boring after a while.

I kept wondering why it was so quiet watching the action...it's because there was no dubstep to accompany each throw. :p

Latest posts