• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte, NC

KNIGHT

I know its a "mecca" for us discers and i'm planning a road trip up there soon. I wanted to hear what your opinions were on the courses to play and especially the ones that are worth going out of our way to play. So many courses in that area that its hard to sort through, iv already been going through and wish listing the ones id love to play. Love a good challenging course also.

Go ahead and give us detail on what types of courses you prefer so we can tailor recommendations for you.

Me too. What are your dates?
I am going to Charlotte Sept 17 - 19. I just started a post yesterday as well as I am also looking for small independant motel suggestions in the area.

Looks like with my research the must plays are Renny & Hornets nest. I am also thinking R.L. Smith & Plantation Ruins at Winget. That should keep me busy for the 1 full day and two half days we will have.

IMO Renny Gold is the best out of the ones I've played (Can check my profile for what courses I've played I think). It is the best balanced, featuring tighter wooded holes, and more open holes that most courses around here seem to lack. Every fairway feels well defined and fair, while some other courses I've played have some wooded holes that IMO don't really feel like golf holes.

Winget is a lot of fun, and quick to play. If you are in the area definitely check it out. Great variety, only downside is it doesn't offer the length you might want if you can throw 350+

Hornets Nest is great, definitely recommend that.

R.L. Smith was a good time, it had a lot of elevation in play. It's very good, but I think there are a few courses like Renny & Hornets that I like a bit more.

Elon Park is a great place to go, since there are two courses on site. Angry Beaver is long and challenging, but there are one or two holes I don't think are very good, feels like you're just throwing in the middle of the woods because a sign told you to. Eager Beaver is a fun pitch and putt style course that has tight enough lines and a few longer holes so that they don't really have a gimmie feel to them.

I think i'm gonna hang out there for about two weeks, last week of sept and first of october. I have a decent arm 350+ but I don't mind having to do some brain work when I play. I like a course thats somewhat open in a few spots to really be able to rip a few but I think I prefer courses that are more wooded and need some precision.

I'm a north sider so I'll only comment on courses around me. If you're doing Hornet's Nest, combine it with Nevin. They're not far apart.

Robbins might be worth checking out, too. Just a little further up 77. I'd like to see a Mike C video of that course. It's still getting broken in but I think it's going to be pretty great. Shorter wooded holes, elevation, and finishes strong with some longer, more open holes.

I think i'm gonna hang out there for about two weeks, last week of sept and first of october. I have a decent arm 350+ but I don't mind having to do some brain work when I play. I like a course thats somewhat open in a few spots to really be able to rip a few but I think I prefer courses that are more wooded and need some precision.

If you're hanging out for two weeks, play them all. If you averaged three courses per day you could play most of the stuff around here in two weeks.

Renaissance is must play. Great variety, long open holes, short wooded ones. Large jungle filled valleys to throw over. Elevation changes. Just a great course.

Hornet's Nest
Goose Landing (about an hour east of Charlotte) but very scenic.
Bradford (Great mix of holes)
Reedy Creek (Short but fun)
R.L. Smith

Some of my favorites.

Nevin was my favorite, then Renny, Hornets Web, Bradford, RLS, Bracketts.

Nevin was my favorite, then Renny, Hornets Web, Bradford, RLS, Bracketts.

^ I'd agree with those and add:
Dry Creek (Monroe 20mins from center city)
Stumpy Creek (Mooresville 15 mins further north than Bradford)

Stumpy is one of the most overlooked courses in the area. It has great elevation (read: its a D#@! workout) and great variety of holes.

Charlotte golf is traditionally wooded, so it may take an adjustment period to see the lines on some of the more technical layouts.

Of the ones I played, these are the ones, in order, that I would replay.

Hornets Nest
RL Smith
Renny
Bradford
The Beavers (Elon Park)
Winget

Stumpy is one of the most overlooked courses in the area. It has great elevation (read: its a D#@! workout) and great variety of holes.

Charlotte golf is traditionally wooded, so it may take an adjustment period to see the lines on some of the more technical layouts.

My current top 15 (in order I want to play):

Nevin
Winthrop Gold (with ropes)
Hornets Nest
Dry Creek
Rennaisance
RL Smith
Stumpy Creek
Bradford
Robbins
Elon - Angry Beaver
Scrapyard
Kilborne
Bracketts Bluff
Winget
Reedy

IMO
Elon Park is a great place to go, since there are two courses on site. Angry Beaver is long and challenging, but there are one or two holes I don't think are very good, feels like you're just throwing in the middle of the woods because a sign told you to. Eager Beaver is a fun pitch and putt style course that has tight enough lines and a few longer holes so that they don't really have a gimmie feel to them.

Angry Beaver is my home course (sort of), so I feel obligated to defend it a little bit... I can only think of one hole that is "not very good", and that is hole 8. The current Hole 14 was newly added this year and hole 8 was combined with the former hole 9. Those holes stood very well on their own, but combined just make for a frustrating par 5. There is still a birdie available, but its pretty tough to manage and requires 3 absolutely precise shots. While it made a challenging hole, its just not very fun. Its a par 5 that is best played with a putter or mid for the entire hole. No one likes that. I want a par 5 to require two solid drives. Whats more, is that the new hole 14 is very fun, bc its a longer ace run, but the former 8/9 holes were more interesting.

The biggest benefit is the trickle down of the addition. Holes 10 & 11 were extended. Hole 11 finishes near where the original #8 basket was.

I'm not sure I enjoy playing the new layout as much "overall" as I did the former, but it did add challenge to the course for sure. It is certianly the "Angry-er Beaver" now. If the longer Teepads are ever finished, that will add an even further challenge.

While I'm not a huge fan of the new layout, I just tell myself I need to elevate my skill until I like it. Angry Beaver has had a huge role in my player development, and I know I would'nt have the accuracy I have now without beating myself against that course. I still feel like it is the most technically demanding course in charlotte. Renny and Nevin are right there with it, but even those have moments where they let off the gas for a sec and let you just bomb something.

Play them all then. If you play Hornets, Nevin is 4 miles away, no reason to miss it. Nothing really open in Charlotte except Eastway. I personally would put the Elon courses last. Idlewild and Reedy are also out of the way. Most of the courses follow the 77 corridor'ish.

Stumpy if within the Mecklenberg County circle would be a 4+* course. Additionally the new paved parking lots have eliminated much of the parking woes on the final hole.

Dry creek = awesome!

Play them all then. If you play Hornets, Nevin is 4 miles away, no reason to miss it. Nothing really open in Charlotte except Eastway. I personally would put the Elon courses last. Idlewild and Reedy are also out of the way. Most of the courses follow the 77 corridor'ish.

You would put Elon AB behind Sugaw, Bridges, or Winget?

Don't forget Frank Liske! Charlotte's first totally open bomb-city course.

Nevin is the hardest course in the city. Both Renny gold and the web layout are must plays. If you want to hit them all, you'd better plan on staying a full week. So much good golf, so little time.