• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are you going in 2023?

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
It's about that time of year to fire another one of these up. Tell us where you're going in 2023. Bagging trips, day trips, adding states, countries, planets. Tell us your plans. This is my favorite thread of the year. I, personally, love to hear what everyone's plans are. so let's hear them. Since I started this, I'll start.

I'm tentatively planning a trip to Charlotte NC in late March. First time flying in about 30 years :eek: Plan on playing as much of the courses as possible, good ones prioritized obviously, and then hopefully Stony Hill (if David let's me) and some other SC ones. Strictly bagging trip.

Early June will have us down to STL. Eagle's Crossing is on the agenda of course. Then just cleaning up some other STL courses I haven't played yet. Hitting Northwoods Black and a few other Peoria area courses en route. Chisel away at Chicago towards the end, I'm making progress there.

If flying somewhere works out, Denver is the plan in the fall. Flying to Denver at least. Mountain stuff is the plan. All the B's up that little hill. Lake Dillon, Ghost Town and whatever else.

Way too early, but tell me what you got lined up.

Last edited:
All trips for 2023 are tentative at this point but I am thinking of making a run over to Harmony Bends and picking up the highest-rated Indiana course on the way, Prides Creek. I would like 2023 to be the year that I play Flip. I would also like to bag a few new states, prob Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania for starters. Other than that I'm planning on bagging as many Ohio/KY courses as I can. Still need to do a Florida panhandle trip, but that might have to wait till 2024.

I'm tentatively planning a trip to Charlotte NC in late March. First time flying in about 30 years :eek: Plan on playing as much of the courses as possible, good ones prioritized obviously, and then hopefully Stony Hill (if David let's me) and some other SC ones. Strictly bagging trip.

late March is a great time to visit Stoney Hill -- we just groomed the course for a couple of tournaments in the past 3 weeks, and the grass will stay cut through early April, while the world will be greening up by then. But heads up that we may have a tournament about that time; we haven't decided yet.

love these threads

doin a proper missouri trip that will include kcmo and branson in march ish

goin to do a ton of backpacking trips next year (really lookin at mi up) so probably not as much course baggin (tbh tho anything at this point requires a bit moar than a day trip since ive played almost everything around me and therefore shot myself in the foot)

considering idaho panhandle but if i do that i might as well do washington/oregon proper and at this point it sounds exhausting

and when i get the course baggin itch i will head over to wi

late March is a great time to visit Stoney Hill -- we just groomed the course for a couple of tournaments in the past 3 weeks, and the grass will stay cut through early April, while the world will be greening up by then. But heads up that we may have a tournament about that time; we haven't decided yet.

Good to know. I'll check with you when it gets closer. Still obviously quite a ways off. I like to plan as far ahead as possible. 👍

I'll pick up Foundation Park in Centralia, IL and maybe Pride's Creek across the border in Indiana on one of my trips to visit my sister and her family in southern IL.

Whatever doesn't get crossed off the list from the below in the coming weeks is a candidate for '23:
I'm limping my way to 200 courses played (7 left) and have a few days off in the coming weeks. Probably going to bag some local crap 9ers (they keep popping up!) to get close and then hit something good for #200.

Contenders for #200 (roughly in order of driving time):
Rogers Lakewood
Lake Arvesta
Wilderness
----------- Below this line, we are getting out of day trip range. These will likely need to wait for 2023.
Wildcat Bluff
Eagles Crossing
Harmony Bends

Weather forecast will play a role in decision making, but Wilderness is my top choice at the moment. I don't know how I've neglected to play Rogers Lakewood for so long, but it will probably need to wait.

I need to get back to Highbridge and would love to hit more Wisco courses and possibly hit up the best of the twin cities. Highly likely that I make Highbridge happen. We'll see if I can extend that trip to get more.

I haven't been anywhere outside of driving distance since Feb 2020 (and that was a 3 day work trip). My kids are getting older, so I'm hoping to fly somewhere outside of the midwest for a week long vaca. No idea what that will be. So many places I want to get to and there are places I've been that the kids need to experience. Wherever we go, discs will come with.

Hopefully finishing up Wisconsin, getting more UP and maybe MN courses.

Want to also do a Flip City / west Michigan coast trip and get some more Indiana courses bagged.. Maybe even a quick trip down to Idlewild or something if I got time.

Hopefully finishing up Wisconsin, getting more UP and maybe MN courses.

Want to also do a Flip City / west Michigan coast trip and get some more Indiana courses bagged.. Maybe even a quick trip down to Idlewild or something if I got time.

If you manage to finish up WI I'll be truly impressed. They just keep popping up in the worst spots as soon as you clear an area out. Good luck though.

Western LP of MI has some awesome stuff. And I haven't even scratched the surface over there. Just a PIA to get to from where I'm at. MN is chock full of good stuff. The nines by the twin cities are better than most 18's in Chicagoland. :| No joke.

It's about that time of year to fire another one of these up. Tell us where you're going in 2023. Bagging trips, day trips, adding states, countries, planets. Tell us your plans.

Your timing is excellent, we were just discussing future travel plans during our current travels. Current thoughts, likely to change:

Savannah GA in late winter / early spring. Lots of good courses between MD and GA. Maybe I will even bump my NC course total to > 1. ;)

Colorado, Wyoming, and at least one of the Dakotas in late spring / early summer. This could be a big trip covering a lot of states that I have not yet bagged. :)

Alaska cruise in late summer: Anchorage to Seward to Vancouver BC, with a few disc golf courses at ports of call. Not sure that I'm really a cruise guy, but that sounds like a lovely part of the world that I haven't bagged yet. :D

Looking at a northern FL trip in mid-late March. Probably Orlando/Jacksonville area.

I'm due to visit Boston again in May, so I'll try to hit a new course or two.

I would also like to visit Atlanta.

Then eastern PA in late October.

Your timing is excellent, we were just discussing future travel plans during our current travels. Current thoughts, likely to change:

Savannah GA in late winter / early spring. Lots of good courses between MD and GA. Maybe I will even bump my NC course total to > 1. ;)

Colorado, Wyoming, and at least one of the Dakotas in late spring / early summer. This could be a big trip covering a lot of states that I have not yet bagged. :)

Alaska cruise in late summer: Anchorage to Seward to Vancouver BC, with a few disc golf courses at ports of call. Not sure that I'm really a cruise guy, but that sounds like a lovely part of the world that I haven't bagged yet. :D

Tis the only way to really do Alaska. When we were in Anchorage, we rented some bikes and took an easy bike ride, on a wonderful paved path, up the Cook Inlet to Kincaid park. We then played the course and rode back. Saw a moose and a ton of wildlife off the Inlet. I cannot recommend this enough. We bought an extra day in Anchorage to do it.

Biggest trip is a three/four week jaunt to Flagstaff, in July, for Masters Worlds. Golf and National Park exploration along the way. Also high on the bucket list for next year is Highbridge and the NE.....NH,Maine, Vermont....

Looking at a northern FL trip in mid-late March. Probably Orlando/Jacksonville area.

I'm due to visit Boston again in May, so I'll try to hit a new course or two.

I would also like to visit Atlanta.

Then eastern PA in late October.

Nice! Let me know when you are coming to the Orlando area, I'll see if I can tag along, maybe help with scouting.

Gonna try and bag at least 10 more in FL before heading out in MAR. (Which would put me on the FL Top Baggers list! :thmbup:)

Included in that will be my Bday day off in FEB, will probably head to Gainesville for the state's oldest course and GG's home course, Northside, a few others there, then the 2 in Ocala.

Then we will probably settle somewhere around NC for a few months, hopefully Hville, NC, Greenville, SC or Lynchburg, VA. Some target rich environments there!

The wife really wants to summer in Maine, so probably a string of one and dones on the way there, then hopefully we land in a good DG area in Maine. Gonna start saving some cash now.

Finally, will try to hit a few more on the way back next fall.
With all that, if I can get 5 new states (taking me to 20), I'll be happy!! :D

Trip plans for 2023:

Late January hoping to head to Northern California to lay the Condor World Championships, bag a few new courses too.

In March I signed my 12 year old son to play MA1 at the Memorial in Arizona. So I hope t bag 5-7 new courses that trip.

June, if my son gets into junior worlds (MJ15 is cutthroat and sells out in seconds) then we will probably drive from california to Illinois and back. Bag 25-30 courses in that trip.

July I will be in Flagstaff hopefully for Masters Worlds and a few new courses to play.

Thats as far as I've gotten so far.

YSavannah GA in late winter / early spring.

This trip will probably be scaled back to Berlin, MD and Norfolk, VA. Purpose of the trip is to test the van at actual campsites, rather than just driveway camping with friends and relatives.

Lots of un-played courses on the Eastern Shore and around Norfolk, Williamsburg, and Richmond VA. NC course count will stay at one for now. :eek:

So flying for a DG trip - are you going to bring your full bag, maybe as a carry on, or scale down to a smaller bag and fewer discs?
Anytime we have flown, I bring a smaller bag and scale down to about 10 discs. Worked pretty well on the trip we just took out west.

Speaking of which, we had a layover at Dallas-Love Field and I saw a guy walking through the terminal with his small Zuca cart. Must have put it in the overhead!! :thmbup:

So flying for a DG trip - are you going to bring your full bag, maybe as a carry on, or scale down to a smaller bag and fewer discs?
Anytime we have flown, I bring a smaller bag and scale down to about 10 discs. Worked pretty well on the trip we just took out west.

Speaking of which, we had a layover at Dallas-Love Field and I saw a guy walking through the terminal with his small Zuca cart. Must have put it in the overhead!! :thmbup:

Yeah, I'll definitely dial back from my normal amount of way more than I need. I got an UPD bag that should fold up nicely. I don't throw hard or far so I don't lose many anyway 😁

It has been awhile. Used to carry on my Gateway Tournament bag with quad straps. I would now just use my Grip as a carry on. Leave the discs inside, but pack my usual carry on stuff in the pockets. I would pack my usual disc golf bag stuff in my checked. The Grip would stow fine.

I am not really back to flying yet. You and wolfhaley should start a thread and post some pics and stuff about your RV/Van. I would be interested, for sure. As a newly retired couple, overland travel is very high on our list. We are currently traveling, with the dog, to Airbnb's. We have a Ford Flex, which is great for packing and traveling, but the lease is about up.

Yeah, I'll definitely dial back from my normal amount of way more than I need. I got an UPD bag that should fold up nicely. I don't throw hard or far so I don't lose many anyway 😁

BTW I have flown with my OG Grip bag a few times. One bagged it, half full of discs with clothes and other items filling the rest. Met the carryon size requirement and fit under the seat and in the overhead bin.

My favorite moment flying with that bag was when the lady at the x-ray line in STL says to me "excuse me sir are those plates in your bag?"