• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Check this out, is the intensity of this overstabillity normal?

Maybe for you or the courses you play on, but I wouldn't discount the shot altogether. Schwebby is, I assume, a much better player than you and he uses those funky thumpers for just about everything and does it well (especially in the woods. He is incredibly precise with his overhands). Maybe try and learn from someone who has been playing a lot longer than you.

I learn from anyone who has something to offer. I suppose I should start throwing chickenwings and tomahawks and sky rollers too, even though they have no place in my game...I can accomplish the same thing as the inverted thumber by powering down a beefhook and playing the skip.

^ agreed. Not only that, but I highly doubt that you can throw nearly as hard and get such a hard turn with your fh. It's the same concept as throwing your disc upside down on windy days for putts. It just acts way more os on the finish. You can't get that hard of a finish at such a short distance with any other shot IMO. The skip is entirely different.

I will wager you have never seen how hard something like a Champion TeeRex will cut right after kissing some ground on a hyzer line.

If I had no forehand, I would probably have a little more respect for the upside down thumber. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I suppose. Maybe calling it useless as a whole was a bit overboard, "useless for me" would be a more accurate statement.

Throw the disc however ya want. If you can get it in the basket in less throws than me with your chicken wing, t rex arm, whirlybird 360 noscope thumber, you win.

I learn from anyone who has something to offer. I suppose I should start throwing chickenwings and tomahawks and sky rollers too, even though they have no place in my game...I can accomplish the same thing as the inverted thumber by powering down a beefhook and playing the skip.

I will wager you have never seen how hard something like a Champion TeeRex will cut right after kissing some ground on a hyzer line.

If I had no forehand, I would probably have a little more respect for the upside down thumber. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I suppose. Maybe calling it useless as a whole was a bit overboard, "useless for me" would be a more accurate statement.

Your forehand skip won't be very effective on rocky terrain.

I'll speak on this as its my home course. The area between the opening to the woods and the basket gets very muddy very quickly. Given the amount of rain that day, playing a skip of any kind would've been risky. Having the disc hit plateside of the rim was optimal to reduce the risk of a dig. If you don't make it into the woods from the tee, you actually want to be shorter than Brian was to have a somewhat straight approach to the basket. Where he was, he had to throw almost perpendicular to the pin to hit the gap. I've seen Schwebby throw this shot on several occasions, all with the same result. A low, sharp skip. Many of the tournament videos I've seen of Brian have taken place at wooded courses. In my experience with wooded courses, you have to be creative and throw some unconventional shots at times to get out of trouble or get close to the pin. Brian's Quizenberry is a great example of this. I believe this was the best shot choice in this scenario and the proof is it led to an easy birdie.

Schwebby has used the various thumber shots for so long, he knows when to use them, or not use them. He is also a friggin' Sniper with those type of shots. I learned the value of the "Overhand" shots by watching Hours and Hours of Schwebby throwing them. He gets places a lot of others can't.