• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Climo's 2013 In the Bag video

Crazy Runner Guy

Double Eagle Member

Watched this video from April 2013 last night a couple times. My apologies if I missed an earlier discussion of it, it's not the easiest thing to search for.

Basically the Champ's bag is:

Destroyers (Pro; Star)
Tern (Champ x2)
Katana (Echo)
Wraiths (12X KC x3; Pro)
Firebird (Pro-Line)
Sidewinder (Champ)
Teebirds (CE; Champ, 10x)
Rocs (11X x2; 8X; 12X)
Aviars (KC x3)
Condor and Sonic (DX)

A couple of observations and mostly surprises.

Putters

No surprise here in that they're KC Aviars. I'm just a little surprised that he's using 12X's and not something older. More on this later.

Mids
Again, no surprise here in that he's got a pile of Rocs. What did (and also didn't at the time) surprise me is that only one is a 12X. More on this later.

Fairways

A little surprised his only true fairway is a Teebird given how much the DGCR consensus appears to be that Teebirds are one-trick ponies. In his discussion of them, he clearly can get them to do whatever he wants. Again, only one of them is in-production.

Distance

About the Firebird: Another OOP disc. Nice to hear him talk about how durable the disc is. His last Proline, functionally a Champ, lasted 10 years. 10 years! And I imagine he plays more than the vast, vast majority of us. What that means for us is that barring a loss, massive gouge from pavement, a shattering, or a dog, a Champ disc should more or less last forever. I'm curious what he thinks of the current flat-as-a-pancake 12X's.

About the beefy Wraith and Destroyer: Even the Champ says he can't get these two discs to flip, and they each look at least a little used. I guess what that means for us is that each person should look hard at whether they can get a distance driver to do what it's designed to do. Perhaps after a while you can get a little turn out of a Wraith or Destroyer, but not a premium plastic one out of the box and perhaps not for a while.

General

His bag is a mix of in-production and very expensive OOP discs. I can't imagine Innova is pleased with him using so many OOP discs, but I also imagine that as long as its Innova, they really don't care too much what he throws.

I'm surprised he doesn't have any older KC Aviars and that all of his Rocs aren't OOP.

Just looking at him explain his bag, it comes off that his bag is built around Wraith/Teebird/Roc/Aviar and everything else is situational (Destroyer/Katana/Firebird/Sidewinder/Sonic), trying out (Tern), or for other reasons, like a warm up (Condor).

I'm kind of inspired to throw Teebird/Roc/Aviar and see how I could handle a course, especially one less open than my home course.

Your thoughts on the Champ's bag?

IMO: As long as KC throws Innova; Innova is happy. He has stacks of discs around to pick thru so he probably finds the ones most similar to the disc he is replacing; it might be a OOP special run or new. As players who grew up with 11x, CE, etc lose their fabled discs they want matching replacements. In the past (and now depending on your opinion) Innova produced/produces different product that those that hooked players in the past. Many of the recent changes (Jolly Launcher, Tour Editions, Factory Store Special Runs) that Innova has initiated are to keep the 5% of DG World that are plastic-crazy happy by satisfy those needs.

In regards to his Wraith/Teebird/Roc/Aviar core; I think most people have a "core" bag that they carry. I just think that a lot of the higher level players spend more time working discs (and not losing them) into those understable spots while duffers like myself will never beat a teebird/tl to the point where I won't need a Leopard in my bag. I am always amazed how someone like Ken (or Nate Doss, Val Jenkins, Avery Jenkins, etc) have in the bag videos where they mention having a disc for that long in their everyday bag. I cannot fathom playing multiple rounds a day, every day, for years and not periodically losing discs.

Innova has a lot of pros that use oop plastic, I'm sure that sits well when they try to push new product. Terns seem to be the only newer mold that's stuck, everything else is the same 5 or 6 molds that everyone for Innova throws.

Here's the big reason he uses lots of OOP. Because he has stockpiles of them!!! If I needed a new firebird, I'd go to my stash first and get one for free, regardless of what plastic it is. The Champ probably hasn't had to buy a new core disc in awhile.

Here's the big reason he uses lots of OOP. Because he has stockpiles of them!!! If I needed a new firebird, I'd go to my stash first and get one for free, regardless of what plastic it is. The Champ probably hasn't had to buy a new core disc in awhile.

It seems like you thinking the champ buys his discs. They are probably stacks from when innova gave them to him originally.

A little surprised his only true fairway is a Teebird given how much the DGCR consensus appears to be that Teebirds are one-trick ponies.

I'm pretty sure the Teebird isn't considered a one-trick pony. In fact, it's often considered the greatest layering disc of all time here.

I really enjoyed watching this several times. The Champ drops some good knowledge about how he works these discs in different situations.

I really enjoyed watching this several times. The Champ drops some good knowledge about how he works these discs in different situations.
I also love that when compared with all of the other SpinTV In the Bag videos, his is the longest by almost two times.

I went through the other videos, and everyone (except the Discmania-only European player), everyone's bag was built around Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds, Firebirds and a distance driver of choice (for the men, Destroyers). Val had a Sidewinder/Starfire, IIRC, and she was only one who didn't have a Firebird.

I am finally letting go of my stubbornness enough to phase out drivers over 10spd. When he pulled out the Star Destroyer and was like 'this is almost too much disc for me' I was all :eek::eek::eek:

I appreciate him going into detail about each disc and what he does with it.

I also love that when compared with all of the other SpinTV In the Bag videos, his is the longest by almost two times.
First thing I noticed. I'd really like it if the other 'In The Bags' went as in-depth as the Champs.

Or maybe the other pros just don't think/obsess about it as much as he does.

I walked along and watched the Champ at World's this year. I saw him hit a 280 foot eagle with a Roc. It was awesome.

It is my opinion that the Champ is the greatest Ambassador of the sport. He has forgot more about disc golf than I will ever know.

His video is another example of the class act that he is.

I'm pretty sure the Teebird isn't considered a one-trick pony. In fact, it's often considered the greatest layering disc of all time here.

While it is often regarded as one of the better molds ever produced, most threads that I have read seem to reach the consensus that it isn't quite as versatile a mold as Innova's other dominant fairway mold, the Eagle.

In my understanding and personal experience, the Eagle is more versatile, a kind of "jack of all trades" fairway- But not necessarily "the best" at any one type of shot. The Teebird, however, has a few things that it does exceptionally well (arguably the best), but can not as easily be manipulated into other lines as the Eagle.

It's a give and take, and both molds are so well renown because they are both great.

That really was one of the better IMB clips, informative and insightful.
Love the way the Sonic fits in the Condor... like giant-sized stash mini.
Thanks for finding it CRG!

Latest posts