• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Club pro shop

Rampage444

Bogey Member
I have been tasked with opening a pro shop for my club. Just a big plastic box with a variety of discs for current and new members. I am probably going to start with about 40 or 50 discs. Any ideas where I should start. I will need lots of replacements for lost popular discs and discs for new players.

Teebirds eagles leopards flashes buzzz rocs wizards ions rhynos valkyrie beasts nukes wraiths avairs volts swords kings warships obex

I'm sure everyone's gonna address some disc on that list

Where are you going to order them from?

My guess is that the bigger manufactures will have larger minimums, maybe around 100. If you order direct from them, that would limit you to one manufacture. You can get better variety from Disc Nations wholesale program, but you might pay a little more per disc.

I usually order from Marshall street, I'm in Australia so we need a company that will ship internationally and I'd like to be able to pick a wide variety. Plus being able to pick weight and colour means I'll always have the backups I need in store!

Would it be worth checking out Innova's "Factory Second" stuff? Or if you go through MVP's homepage they have an order form to get 10 of their discs at random for $100. Both are just sets of cosmetically flawed discs that you get at a discount. If your just keeping a big stash for new players to use, this may be a smart route to go.

innova minimum is 25
discraft minimun is25
mvp minimun is 33
direct through lat 64 300
disc golf wholesale minimun 25

innova and discraft have tiered pricing though. so it might be wise to putt your eggs in one basket to get into a better tier. whats your budget?

Have you asked the people? Take a poll of your local players as to what they use and lose the most. If there is a significantly larger number of people that prefer one company it will make your decision easy. If not, at least you'll know approximately what ratios of innova to discraft to other that you need to get.

I probably have about $400 to get started, I'd like to offer a variety though as other clubs and Australian based stores only really offer innova and discraft. Ordering from Australian online stores isn't an option star plastic will set you back atleast $22.

I've been down this road in a couple of ways---except I'm only 75 miles from Innova, so I have not idea of your shipping issues.

40-50 is a small number to carry---basically two large bags' worth. It's hard to have much selection, even with just one manufacturer. But I'd suggest picking one and seeing what wholesale contract and best deal on shipping you can get.

Then choose about 5 or 6 models in a couple of grades of plastic. Something like a putter, an overstable midrange, and understable midrange, a fairway driver, an overstable long driver, and understable long driver.

Sell them at enough of a profit that you can build up stock with each re-order. You won't be hurting the buyers by making a "profit"; you'll be building up their selection.

Our club did this, starting at 100 (with custom club stamps). Originally Discraft in 4 models; now there are more models, plus Innova. I also started a small sideline retail store with 100 Innova; now it has 500 or so with Innova, Discraft, Millenium, Latitude 64, and other manufacturers.

If you order enough quantity from 1 manufacturer you can get custom stamped discs at great prices. This will give club members and other locals reason to support your effort, over buying online.

with 400-500 i would say go with one company you could stretch it to two companies if you really wanted to. you wanted something other that discraft/innova but remember if thats all you can find out there thats going to be what everyone is going to be familiar with. it might be hard to pitch lat/mvp/millennium etc to them. to stretch your dollar out might not be a bad idea to go all base plastic for putters mids and fairways. i think davids right there dont get just one of every mold pic a handfull of good ones and give them some weight choices. when i started selling discs i brought my dg ideology into the orders. but over time i realized its the consumer who decides what i carry so yes my shop have a bunch of grooves and monarchs ( i shed a tear). good luck though doing a dg order is a lot of fun. and when it shows up its like an early christmas

hey Joel

If anyone can say they are in a similar position to you (in the entire freaking world) its me my friend! Dunno if you are aware, but I run a shop outta Brisbane. I wasnt asked, I just started one, which at times brings about a few negative comments/issues BUT for the most part the general consensus has been positive, and for newer members its awesome.

Few key points...

- The dollar is AWESOME right now, so buy buy buy as much as you can. Black Friday this weekend coming up so keep your eyes open.

_ Did you guys get a heap of differant moulds for the open? Would have been a good way to start (yes its all innova but good plastic at a cheap price).

- Innova dominates, discraft is still a solid second, but plenty of Lat 64, Gateway, Vibram and Westside in Australian shops...I also stock the odd ABC.

- I stock mainly used (all bought from the guys in the marketplace (thanks to any or all who have sold to me, and apologies to those that it didnt work out for) and as others here suggested, seconds. I have found the cheaper plastics I can get the same price as the other shops here, but the top shelf plastics I can get in store a bit cheaper.

Always glad to help if you got any issues, Im still learning as I go too, so would be great to bounce ideas of someone. Wish I read this before the Open, I could have paid the extra baggage and bought down $400 worth of used stock for you to get started...just discs that the guys here are sick of seeing but still quality stuff.

Latest posts