• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

College Scolorships for disc golf

Forgot about DGA's Collegiate Cla$h program, but in the realm of things 3 scholarships totaling $3500 isn't really what you're looking for.

If the disc golf team is a sanctioned club sport of the college, then the team is eligible for some funding pending approval of a club budget. From what I've read of UGA's club team policies it basically would be travel expenses not including lodging, uniforms (that must be used for 3 year minimum), equipment for the use of the whole club (I'd try and get some portable baskets, I know Georgia Tech did that), printing of promotional materials, tourney entry fees, and use of the school logos (if the proper forms are submitted). I believe other purchases can be made, but must be approved beforehand otherwise the designated club purchasers would not be reimbursed. It'd be sweet to get officially organized, but it's a crap-ton of paper work that has to be done and kept up with.

... nothing in there about scholarships, and probably won't be for a long, long time, if ever.

The only way I can think of getting scholarships was if the NCAA recognized the sport as a "college sport." Ultimate is a more popular sport then disc golf in my opinion and that should be recognized first.

Even then the scholarship opportunities for disc golfers to land a scholarship if it was recognized would be super low. I was a collegiate athlete for two years as a swimmer at a school in Texas, we had 2.1 scholarships to distribute throughout the entire team and swimming is WAY more popular then disc golf could even dream about being.

Disc Golf at a college would not be practical. Either there would have to be a disc golf course near the campus or the school has to go out and build one on campus, and most public schools do not like to drop $10-20k on a course that would see little economic benefit if it became a sport.

I 100% disagree. Swimming is expensive. Ball golf is expensive. Baseball is expensive. Why? Facilities. Disc Golf can use a public course or have a campus course. SWIMMING COSTS MORE WEEKLY IN MAINTENANCE THAN A DISC GOLF COURSE WILL COST OVER 20 YEARS IN MAINTENANCE. And that doesn't include buildings.

There is also a way through the NCAA. Title 9. Smaller schools that have football have to balance out their scholarships with women's sports. Many are looking for a cheap way out. I believe women's disc golf will get the first scholarships.

Disc Golf is one of the least expensive college sports if not the least expensive. Period. In the end it will become big in college because of that. It is already growing by leaps and bounds. The college tournaments are bigger every year? Why? Cost. It is cheap enough that the club teams are doing very well, and I predict they will morph into a NCAA sport within 7 years. Scholarships would start as partial ones, with small stipends.

The fact is that this sport is not a real spectator sport. It also doesn't require much in facilities other than available land. Spectators and facilities account for a huge amount of college sports costs. Ours are near zero for all that. Put a course on land you already mow? That's it. One fundraiser can take care of the baskets. Innova/Disccraft would easily spring for discs.

Bottom line, this sport is the only sport you can build a course next to an unused ditch and a few trees. No bleachers or building needed.

There are already courses in colleges here in DFW. They already have teams. They are already playing. It will happen. If I was Innova, I would donate baskets to any school that wanted to field a team at the club level or above.

We need to get political with the University Presidents. Pitch the benefits of the sport as it relates to cost. Pitch anyone can play and that it can promote a healthier student body. If a few colleges started with just one scholarship like say Texas State or Oregon....others would follow. I think the disc companies need to give one scholarship to every tournament team.

Yep I recruit, kinda. If I see a college age kid on a course I invite him or her to come out. Come to Western Kentucky in Bowling Green. 10 courses in a 10 mile range and Holler in the Hills 20 minutes away.

Another thing to add is that there are a lot of students on our campus that play disc golf for fun. Im sure if all of those people knew that they could be getting a scholarship for being good at the sport they would practice more and want to get better. Which would also lead to a more competitive sport, and that should move our sport forward by a lot.

What most people consider a "real" sport is something that is played on the collegiate level. The bad thing is most universities just try to shove disc golf to the side. And our university has two national championships for disc golf (men's & women's)

Mabe this weekends exposure during the Mississippi State Alabama game will help.

I was just checking with Alan Kane of the PDGA. He predicts we are at least 25 years away from getting Disc Golf Scholorships for college. Thats a long time. Are there any scholls out there that are recruting disc golfers?

Yeah I would say that before SCHOLARSHIPS are offered, SCHOOLS will be RECRUITING students who know how to spell. ;)

I was just checking with Alan Kane of the PDGA. He predicts we are at least 25 years away from getting Disc Golf Scholorships for college. Thats a long time. Are there any scholls out there that are recruting disc golfers?

I recall that about 15 years ago, when last I hung out in College Bowl circles, there was at least one school with at least a partial scholarship for a College Bowl/Quiz Bowl player.

So, there's some history of scholarships going for "fringe" or "club" activities.

All it takes is the right donor, I suppose...

(Though, in the College Bowl case, I think it was more likely a cooperate administration who could be persuaded that they'd probably be getting a very good academic student, etc.)

Yeah I would say that before SCHOLARSHIPS are offered, SCHOOLS will be RECRUITING students who know how to spell. ;)

You are good, you should start a grammer thread so you can talk about something you are knowledgeable about.

I've heard Oregon gives out small scholarships for it, but I have no real information to back that up. Who wants to go there, though? CSU won the national championship.

Since starting this thread I have located many options on funding my sons college and locating local schools with a disc golf team. Thank God he can spell and thanks for all the helpful info. DG course review truly lives up to its reputation.