• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Comet > Tangent. Always.

I really like my Tangent to but it was way shorter than my comet and overlapped to much with my Ion putter which gave me more control with the same distance.

Also, believe it or not but my Glo Comet is easier for me to throw. Don't know why. I have more success getting my Comet through narrow gaps and tunnel shots.

Yesterday I hit a 250 foot par save with my Comet. Longest shot I've ever had go it. It was a beautiful anny that I had to laser between two trees. It was a thing of beauty.

I'm also using it a lot more on my 2nd shot instead of my fairway drivers. With some of my discs if I under power them or don't give them enough snap or a proper follow through they'll pull left and fade too soon. My comet doesn't care about that as much. If I don't throw it hard the glide still gets it there. If I snap it hard it just gets there faster.

How does a Meteor compare to a Comet stability-wise? I've understood that Meteor is more US?

A Meteor is more understable, it will turn and not fade out when thrown flat. Into a headwind, it flips over really quick. A tailwind makes it a lazer straight shooter.

A Comet is stable but form/wind dependent. Thrown with good form, it will go straight (and glide and glide and glide). Thrown into a headwind with flat angle of release, it will turnover. Thrown with a tailwind (and plenty of heighth) with flat angle of release, it will go really, really fa on a straight line.

Comets are a great disc and deserve to be one of the best of all time mids. I know plenty of people who throw them and would recommend that as a very first mid for a beginner.

I throw something pretty similar to a Comet and the only difference is the grip and the speed. It's a Gateway Mystic. I use to throw an Element for the longest time,but got hooked when I layed my hands on a Mystic.

Just got one 178g Elite Z Comet, which is either too heavy or wrong plastic, as I can throw it hard with my awful technique and it still usually goes pretty straight, with slow drift to right. It is actually pretty close to my flat 177g Mako3, although the feel in hand is completely different (concave rim and much bigger dome), and it flies much slower (still goes pretty similar distances). I just ordered 177g Elite X, hopefully that is more sensitive.

I lost my 170 Z Comet and replaced with a 177+ and the difference is pretty huge. The heavy one has some good HSS and fades. Definitely get an X Comet, you'll have a good pairing with the two together.

Comets are a great disc and deserve to be one of the best of all time mids. I know plenty of people who throw them and would recommend that as a very first mid for a beginner.

I throw something pretty similar to a Comet and the only difference is the grip and the speed. It's a Gateway Mystic. I use to throw an Element for the longest time,but got hooked when I layed my hands on a Mystic.
Funny story...the guy who talked me into trying Comets was Dave McCormack. Before he started making discs he used to wholesale discs and pushed Discraft products pretty hard in St. Louis in the mid to late 90's. He used to talk up Comets a lot and convinced me to try them.

Of course he threw San Marino Rocs. :|

I have long been curious about the Comet. Over the past few years I have dabbled in many Discraft mids. The Drone and Hornet were brief affairs but I decided they didn't fit my needs. The Buzzz, Wasp and Zone have been stellar additions. The Buzzz though....there are many times where I wish it were a touch less stable. Times I wish that it were easier to hyzer flip. This yearning has made me curious about the disc that has been called "the greatest golf disc of all time." Could the Comet replace my Buzzz and create a harmonious balance next to my Wasp?

Yep, it's a solid combination. I used to have the Wasp - Comet combo for mids but then switched to Rocs. I often find myself thinking I should have a Comet with me, too. I only have a beat Z Comet which is pretty understable, I'd like to try how a fresh one flies. Also, I've read good stuff about X Comets on here, that's something I'd like to try too.

from facebook

10246787_646734528730135_4371114316338055845_n.jpg

yeah he is doing an auction on some to raise money for worlds.. i think they only did 100 of them.. and supposed to be a new blend of elite-z that hasnt been released yet .. at least thats what the post says

Okay, I now got 177 Elite X Comet also. That too seems suprisingly non-sensitive. It goes usually pretty straight with slight drifting to right, around 70-75 meters (with one step run-up). Same with Z, which I really don't like in my hand. It has somewhat bigger dome than in X, and I'm not used to domes, feels weird in hand and causes me to throw it with noticeable wobble sometimes. But it just fight of that, and doesn't turn and burn like I would have expected.

I do seem to throw with slight anhyser sometimes, Comet shows that nicely, the flight path just makes small right turning arc.

So, either my X is also too heavy, or I am not that bad OAT machine anymore. I'm of course hoping latter. Apparently I just need to get more "snap" in my throws in order to get Comet and others farther. Or nose angle, or something.

Okay, I now got 177 Elite X Comet also. That too seems suprisingly non-sensitive. It goes usually pretty straight with slight drifting to right, around 70-75 meters (with one step run-up). Same with Z, which I really don't like in my hand. It has somewhat bigger dome than in X, and I'm not used to domes, feels weird in hand and causes me to throw it with noticeable wobble sometimes. But it just fight of that, and doesn't turn and burn like I would have expected.

I do seem to throw with slight anhyser sometimes, Comet shows that nicely, the flight path just makes small right turning arc.

So, either my X is also too heavy, or I am not that bad OAT machine anymore. I'm of course hoping latter. Apparently I just need to get more "snap" in my throws in order to get Comet and others farther. Or nose angle, or something.

just beat it in a during a couple rounds, then try again.

jrawk's right, just keep throwing it. All Comet's are good (though some are the best, like 3rd run LE ESP...), and 75 meters is a solid range for this disc. Once you figure out how it responds to your throw, you'll be hitting 85 meters, which is very good, then you'll get it out to 90 or so and 75 from a standstill if you keep working at it.

The Comet is a touchy disc. If it's flying like you say, you don't have too many OAT problems to worry about. Just correct that anhyzer and learn to control it with flat throws and hyzers to tap into the insane control you get with this disc.

As for the feel in the hand: I know where you're coming from. It can be awkward at first, but if you master this disc you will be able to throw any other disc comfortably.

Okay, I now got 177 Elite X Comet also. That too seems suprisingly non-sensitive. It goes usually pretty straight with slight drifting to right, around 70-75 meters (with one step run-up). Same with Z, which I really don't like in my hand. It has somewhat bigger dome than in X, and I'm not used to domes, feels weird in hand and causes me to throw it with noticeable wobble sometimes.

I like bigger dome Comets. Get used to the feel and work out your kinks with them and everything else really does clean up. The light anhyzer lines are really nice, but don't neglect to throw them on hyzers as well. A lot of my OAT issues were hiding in my hyzer releases.

I used to love my Z and old X comet as my understable midrange, but I completely switched when I found the Z meteor and never looked back. I continue love my Z meteor more and more even though it's beat up quite a bit now, but I happened to trade for a sweet really olg old lightly worn baseline comet with a rainbow saturn stamp that flies great so I bagged it for fun and I'm interested to see how it performs for me. Who knows it could become a staple again.

Just played a weekly competition using only Envy and X Comet with few overhead shots with S-PD. Really loved X Comet, although after first nine I started to get tired and sloppy, and Comet really punished from that.

I just got one ESP Comet also, which doesn't have any dome. Only threw it few times, but it felt much more understable and/or sensitive than X and Z Comets.