• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
I'll write more when I get home, but I got a new Z Comet (yellow 176) today thanks to my tester deal with Powergrip. Initial impression is that it's hands down the best disc I've thrown. I played one single disc round with it and fooled around for an additional hour. I hit a lot of trees while fooling around and wore the flash out, it's still insanely hss if you don't OAT it. Astonishing disc.

Edit: Turso concurs. Also got two Z Hornets and three Premium RESPECTis. Love being a tester.

How do you become a disc tester? Do I have to sell my soul to a storefront or company to make it so?

You just have to be able to make a retailer understand this new type of marketing and convince them it will pay dividends far beyond the price of a few discs. It helps to live in a decent dg market, so you will either have to start a dg revolution in AK or move to the lower 48... :lol:

"A moose ran off with the Northman before I could throw it more than once. Verdict: need more throws". - Sean's review.

"Went outside today and threw the new Boatman today. Hit a wolverine which mauled me pretty bad before for I could put some rounds in it. Don't know about the Boatman but I do endorse the new Glock I got" - Sean

LOL, nice guys! :lol: Right in line with my humor.

I guess I'll have to kill Wolverines and Moose first before I can start the revolution. I guess I'm going to have to write letters and sign over my first born.

Hehe, but aye, the Z-comet seemed AWESOME. Probably kicking the Fuse out of my bag(probably being most likely at least after one round of testing), and now I wonder why I haven't tried this thing before...it just seemed to do anything you wanted it to do, could handle lots of power, and still fly pretty much just straight when powered down even to 20% power. I feel a bit dumbstruck, but sure as hell I'm playing a second comet-only round tomorrow with jubuttib. And yeah, starting to like the tester job quite a bit :)

turso said:
... could handle lots of power, and still fly pretty much just straight when powered down even to 20% power.
This is the aspect I'm most astonished by. How can a disc that can handle a full rip on a flat and straight throw without turning still finish straighter than just about any putter on a 30-60 foot throw?

jubuttib said:
turso said:
... could handle lots of power, and still fly pretty much just straight when powered down even to 20% power.
This is the aspect I'm most astonished by. How can a disc that can handle a full rip on a flat and straight throw without turning still finish straighter than just about any putter on a 30-60 foot throw?

I love hearing about, or even better seeing, someone who has some disc golf skill throw the comet for the first time. The comet does some amazing things in the right hands. I was out-throwing two friends today in a field practice session and they were throwing warp speed stuff(one of them shouldn't be but he'll learn). I had to throw my comets 20' higher than their avengers and nukes, but still. Watching a comet go 300'+ straight and land flat is an awesome thing. It's in the air forever.

I first bought a comet to point out the OAT in my backhand throws and I'll never forget the first time I had a decent throw with it. I remember thinking how much more sense it made to throw my upshots straight at the basket rather than trying to aim them to the right of the basket and estimate how my element x or roc was going to fade or how much anhyser to put on it so it would level out at the basket. It then made me re-think my putting, which eventually led me to go with rattlers over wizards for the same reasons.

Seneca Creek, hole 13, short tee, slightly downhill and about 300' to a sharp dogleg right, basket about 100' past the dogleg. OB creek all along the left side of the hole, and woods all along the right side. I would like to throw a FH, but I'm working on BH turnovers and anhyzers to save wear and tear on the shoulder.

First throw: Champ Valk, not enough nose down, hyzers across the creek.
Second throw: Champ Leopard, same result.
Third throw: Z Comet, floats sloooowly down the fairway, barely tracking right, and settles down gently and perfectly at the turn. Throw the Comet, fool.

I love Comets for the same reason, but hyzers are more predictable if the lane is open....especially if there is any type of wind.

switched to comets for my primary mid (instead of just secondary) two weeks ago and played a tournament on sunday, the comets rocked it. Anything under 300 feet that wasn't too windy was comet country.

Check out the tasty Rons! All purchased for a VERRRRRRRY reasonable price.

29yo1w9.jpg

Gave the Comet a workout at the local course in various (ie. very gusty) wind conditions. I wouldn't exactly call it bad in the wind. It does turn but it wasn't buttraped by the wind like I expected it would.

EDIT: Also sunk a ~115 footer and banged the chains (and promptly spit out) from various distances. If I'd played it smart and avoided two OBs I would've matched my best round this year with just the Comet. =)

jubuttib said:
I'll write more when I get home, but I got a new Z Comet (yellow 176) today thanks to my tester deal with Powergrip. Initial impression is that it's hands down the best disc I've thrown. I played one single disc round with it and fooled around for an additional hour. I hit a lot of trees while fooling around and wore the flash out, it's still insanely hss if you don't OAT it. Astonishing disc.

Edit: Turso concurs. Also got two Z Hornets and three Premium RESPECTis. Love being a tester.

That's a sweet gig :-D I can't throw them flat without turn at full speed. Have they changed something or is it just me? Congrats on your win at Oulu!

Do yourselves a favor and try out the X Comet. Trust me.

I really love the X-Comet for the glide and super straight shots. I like the Z-Comet for straight shots that you can put more mustard on and tad more fade at the end.

Glad I'm not the only one that carries both X and Z Comets in his bag.

X and Z are great together.
Unless, of course, you have a perfectly beaten ESP. Those will replace the X Comets in my opinion. I still carry an X Comet for scary shots where I think there is even the slightest possibility of losing my beloved ESP.

On a different note, I'm still amazed at how much power a Z Comet will handle. You don't even have to be that clean with it.

JR said:
That's a sweet gig :-D
Yes, it bloody well is. It's going to kick into full gear when they get the new site up, but from what I've heard they've got some pretty cool things cooking up.
JR said:
I can't throw them flat without turn at full speed. Have they changed something or is it just me?
Judging by the two we got, it's you. Though they might have changed something, but I wouldn't know since this is my first Comet. =)
JR said:
Congrats on your win at Oulu!
Thanks mate! The red P-MD2 you donated was actually pretty instrumental for my success. I use it for the slightly understable slot and it kept me out of the water nicely and in the middle of tunnels. =)
JR said:
Do yourselves a favor and try out the X Comet. Trust me.
All the different plastics have been on my shopping list for a while. I actually bought an ESP Meteor last year because I remembered the name of the disc wrong. =)

I'm currently in the process of cutting down on molds not in my bag, so it could take a while before I get an X Comet. Though we got the Z Comets for review purposes and for a complete review I think we're going to need some X Comets as well... >=)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I simply ADORE the Comet for forehands. Go figure.

Latest posts