• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
I recently ordered some X Comets in the 160's for my girlfriend and she is having difficulty getting her index finger up under the rim to get a good lock point with her thumb. Her hands are small. In fact, her fingers don't even reach my outermost digit when we're palm to palm. I wonder if you all have any grip tips or suggestions for a more accommodating mid?

She was attempting a power grip. I suspect that A) she just needs more work trying grips, or B) the rim depth is an issue.

Cfair, 300' straight with 10' height is exactly what I'm shooting for when I rip my Comet through the tunnels at Shelby Forest. I personally use a modified power grip until I get up to my Teebird. For the Comet only, I have a slight right rear of the tee pad to left front anny approach, but huck it long and straight off the tee. That's probably not the best form but show me another disc that will go 300' with the slow, straight, no fade control of a Comet and I'll buy one. My point is I figured something out that I can do consistantly. I agree with what the others have written, don't give up on it (at least not totally), it flys more lines than any one of my other discs.

Also, I was right to trust you about getting the new ESP Limited. I played singles with it today and the Z will be left at home next time.

fanter how deep into the rim is she trying to push the finger? Has she tried to set the bottom of the Comet to the outermost index finger joint and curling the tip to as high as it will go and not higher? There's no need to reach the flight plate with the tip of the index finger. If other fingers are a problem have her try a two finger grip. Both power grip style placement and the middle finger finger print on the rim. Middle finger along the rim as wide as she can reach without losing comfort. Any strain will probably limit her ability to push the nose down and certainly limiting arm speed.

My new ESP Limited keeps hitting trees. I'm expecting the 3-4' turn on 300' tunnels I was getting out of my Z but the ESP it so damn stable... not really complaining about watermelon in July though.

Those RR Comets are sweet looking but I'm getting old and occasionally struggle to find my black wizard that goes dead straight.

Clearwater sold me a second Limited Edition ESP so I changed my poll count to two... ahh watermelon...

I seem to be bending the ESP when throwing hard. My newish Z Comet (not in the bag) would only turn 2-3' over a 300' straight shot and the newish ESP WAS stable straight without any turn until about a week ago. Don't get me wrong, the ESP glides much better than my Z and its money with my anny flick.

I'm wondering if its my form or if the Forest trees that have the ESP showing its true flight. Back to the practice field or just throw the seasoned stable xbuzzz, thoughts anyone?

7ontheline said:
Those RR Comets are sweet looking but I'm getting old and occasionally struggle to find my black wizard that goes dead straight.

Clearwater sold me a second Limited Edition ESP so I changed my poll count to two... ahh watermelon...

I seem to be bending the ESP when throwing hard. My newish Z Comet (not in the bag) would only turn 2-3' over a 300' straight shot and the newish ESP WAS stable straight without any turn until about a week ago. Don't get me wrong, the ESP glides much better than my Z and its money with my anny flick.

I'm wondering if its my form or if the Forest trees that have the ESP showing its true flight. Back to the practice field or just throw the seasoned stable xbuzzz, thoughts anyone?
I actually prefer the Z Comets for this reason . That and they fade more which makes them a little more predictable for me. The ESPs are nice and glide for days but turn just a lil too much for my liking. For reference I throw comets out to 325. 325-350 I reach for a buzzz for the added stability.

Frank Delicious said:
ESP comets hold awesome hyzer lines.
Don't doubt that at all. I think the Z 's hold a little better though before popping flat. All the ESPs I've thrown are very much like X's and start slightly understable as far as comets go.

himynameismatt said:
Frank Delicious said:
ESP comets hold awesome hyzer lines.
Don't doubt that at all. I think the Z 's hold a little better though before popping flat. All the ESPs I've thrown are very much like X's and start slightly understable as far as comets go.

Frank, so your esp hyzers well but what about the long stable straight line? Would you say that the same throw yields the same results esp vs. z? If thats the case perhaps my Z will someday break into a bender as well. Whatta you think?

Frank Delicious said:
you and I have thrown different ESP comets.

Please excuse my noobness everyone but I've never thrown a comet until six months ago and I just got my second LE ESP as a backup this week. Having only thrown the new run Z and one LE ESP for a month so far, I'd be interested to read how you fellows differ on esp vs. x comet stability over the life of past generations. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the 3rd Limited Edition.

Don't shoot me comet lovers but I just got a used 178 Opto Fuse in the mail yesterday as a tester. To much overlap with my Z or ESP... need to search... :?

kEdiX.jpg

What kind of comet is this? Says 172g first run on the bottom. Took it out today and liked it, so I bagged it and ordered me some ESP's.

7ontheline said:

To be fair, the blue sparkle Comets are easy to see. In the sun they practically glow. I hate dark discs, but RR Comets aren't. Not suggesting you buy them. Just setting the RR record straight for future generations. :D

I'd love to own one of those RR Dogma, and if I spent $45 on 'em I would leave until I found it. :wink:

Mike, I believe that is indeed a first run comet... here's a nicer one that sold on ebay about a month ago for $24 + $5.50 rip-off shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Discraft-1st-Run-COMET-174g-Disc-Golf-/390307880508

Mike C said:
kEdiX.jpg

What kind of comet is this? Says 172g first run on the bottom. Took it out today and liked it, so I bagged it and ordered me some ESP's.

First one, that one has been well loved.