• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
7ontheline said:
himynameismatt said:
Frank Delicious said:
ESP comets hold awesome hyzer lines.
Don't doubt that at all. I think the Z 's hold a little better though before popping flat. All the ESPs I've thrown are very much like X's and start slightly understable as far as comets go.

Frank, so your esp hyzers well but what about the long stable straight line? Would you say that the same throw yields the same results esp vs. z? If thats the case perhaps my Z will someday break into a bender as well. Whatta you think?

My ESP can hyser or hold a straight line, it all depends on release angle and snap. Zs are more stable by a bit but for me the notice is pretty negligible unless I am throwing certain lines like high stalls or longer uphill shots. Zs break in very nicely but take a long time to break into what an X comet throws like, they retain that little hint of stability at the end of their flight for a long time.

Frank Delicious said:
you and I have thrown different ESP comets.

Please excuse my noobness everyone but I've never thrown a comet until six months ago and I just got my second LE ESP as a backup this week. Having only thrown the new run Z and one LE ESP for a month so far, I'd be interested to read how you fellows differ on esp vs. x comet stability over the life of past generations. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the 3rd Limited Edition.

Don't shoot me comet lovers but I just got a used 178 Opto Fuse in the mail yesterday as a tester. To much overlap with my Z or ESP... need to search... :?[/quote]

ESP comets are def more stable than X comets but even X comets should be able to be hyzered when new. I do love some seasoned x comets, they hold some crazy anny lines.

Just curious what weights everyone throws when it comes to Comets? I like them in the same weight as my drivers. 173-175. Are the heavier ones that much more stable?

A year ago or so I took the advice to go get a comet to work on my form. I got a 175ish z and loved it. Learned to rip it flat and low for subtle right turn out to 300' or so.
Despite the fact that MJ can throw them in a circle, and that I know NOTHING, I felt like king shit of Comet mountain.
Last week I went out and got a 167 X to REALLY test my cleanliness.
I love this one even more. I'm guessing that this is more like what a comet is "supposed" to fly like.
Defiantly not a nose sensitive disc tho'. I can crank on it with a 20 degree hyzer and an apex of 20-30 and it climbs while flattening, turns right while still climbing, levels out into a right turn and finally fades straight ahead out to about 320`.
Never had this shot before and it's something I've been trying to learn (with understable drivers) for a while.
My z, for comparison doesn't like this line since I don't have great nose down. It usually just slowly turns to flat, fades somewhat hard and flies backward from the apex on really high lines.
Anyway now I want an ESP as I'm assuming that it will fall somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.
Sound about right?

My ESP Comets arrived with a patch of slightly sunken in flight plates and they fade the same as my Z Comets. ESP should break in faster to become less fading but for lack of fade X is where it is at out of production Comets.

aDave said:
Anyway now I want an ESP as I'm assuming that it will fall somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.
Sound about right?

Yeah, pretty much. Especially after it breaks in a bit.

Been tossing Rocs a lot as I recently discovered an immense love for them, but decided I needed to give some attention to the Z Comet I picked up and threw in the bag about a month ago. Had a Comet and KC Aviar round.

Jesus. That's all I can say. Endless glide, barely threw it and it just soared through every gap I wanted to hit. Missed metal by inches on multiple holes. I think I'm in love.

I threw the Z back in the bag with my ESP. I use the Z for long straight shots with just a few feet of turn and slight fade and the ESP for the touch shots. The ESP can bend around any corner and floats flat to the ground on my anny flicks.

I've got two ESP Comets(One fairly fresh and one worn in) in the bag and an old beat up TP Comet. These three along with my Glo Buzzz cover pretty much everything I need in the mid dept.

Thought about switching back to Fuses yesterday, until I threw some practice drives after a round and absolutely crushed a Z Comet

I think I need to bite the bullet and plunk some $$$ down on ebay for ESPs.

i'm looking for lime green ones did they run this color for the 3rd run?

anybody selling them? stores or personal?

Fuse is very different disc, requires more finesse with angle of release, nose angle and such than comet in my experience, but when you have a good handle on it, it's pretty amazing.

7ontheline said:
What does the Fuse do better than a Comet?
For me they fly further with less height.
I'm just now getting a handle on power control and have had some really lovely drives with my Blue GL Fuse that come up short with any of my Comets.
It's like throwing a glider and seems less exacting in it's demand to be treated right.
My Comets like a little height to get much past `270 or so. I can get that with a Fuse on a much lower line with roughly the same power.
It's probably more in my head tho' so take it with a grain of salt.
Despite the overlap, I keep it in the bag with the comets for when I'm not feeling confident.
I also find that it's got a bit more LSS

178 Opto Fuse now in the bag for low line turnovers. Z Comet for straight finesse up to 300' or up to 10mph headwinds and ESP for bending finesse especially flicks. The ESP stays in the bag on headwinds (more control flip up practice required).

A well thrown Comet like a floating putter off the tee are a thing of beauty to watch.