• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Commander - New Midrange

pjhayes7

Double Eagle Member
http://www.pdga.com/announcements/commander-approaching

So just saw this posted. If the numbers are accurate(I know they never are exactly), 5 4 0 3, this should be what I want, but these are the same numbers as the Roc3, and I don't think the Roc3 has that much fade. My guess is this will be beadless, maybe like a Buzzz OS in feel but just a tad less fade. I would love it if it had the same fade though. My number one wished for disc is a flat topped, Roc3 feeling mid, that falls between a Roc3 and Gator. This may have that flight, but doubt the feel will be exactly what I want. The name makes me think it would be a Hyzerbomb disc. I am excited anyway just to find out though. Always love, even if my wallet hates, trying new discs.

Max. Weight, Diameter, Height, Rim Depth, Inside Rim Diameter, Rim Thickness,
Rim Depth/Diam. Ratio, Rim Config, Flexibility
180.9 21.8 2.2 1.2 19.0 1.4 5.5 42.00 9.19

Last edited:
Cool, Sounds like a Bard. It is stamped Innova so I'm positive it is Innova.

"The Commander is a large diameter midrange disc with a max weight of 180 grams. It is a stable flyer with a slow fade throughout the flight. The Commander is designed for power players and windy play. Preliminary flight rating is 5,4,0,3" - by Innova Discs

I'm willing to bet reading that it is at least Rancho Roc OS. Could be the answer to making Champ Rancho Rocs in premium plastic. I've heard supposedly Rocs are tough to mold up in premium. Similar Specs to VRoc but more dome.

Last edited:
It is stamped Innova so I'm positive it is Innova.

Yeah, I was just commenting on the name choice sounding more like what Hyzerbomb would use. Also, Dynamic has a bag called the Commander. Not a disc and no longer in production, but still disc golf related. It would be weird if any company made a disc called the Ranger at this point, since the name Ranger is so associated with the DD bag.

I'm willing to bet reading that it is at least Rancho Roc OS. Could be the answer to making Champ Rancho Rocs in premium plastic. I've heard supposedly Rocs are tough to mold up in premium. Similar Specs to VRoc but more dome.

I have never really understood the rim configuration numbers. Obviously a Vroc and Roc have a different wing/nose, but exact same rim config. So does rim config mean just on the inside of the rim, that those discs feel the same?

I would be happy with a production mid in premium with Rancho stability. Champ Rachos are ok, but too expensive and annoying to get, and a little domey for my taste.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was just commenting on the name choice sounding more like what Hyzerbomb would use.

I have never really understood the rim configuration numbers. Obviously a Vroc and Roc have a different wing/nose, but exact same rim config. So does rim config mean just on the inside of the rim, that those discs feel the same?

I would be happy with a production mid in premium with Rancho stability. Champ Rachos are ok, but too expensive and annoying to get, and a little domey for my taste.

It's just how sharp or aerodynamic the nose is. Drivers can be as sharp as 26 under the guidelines I imagine for safety and you will see blunt lids in the 85 or higher range. Obviously lower the number the faster the disc, combine that with inside rim width.

Last edited:
It's just how sharp or aerodynamic the nose is. Drivers can be as sharp as 26 under the guidelines I imagine for safety and you will see blunt lids in the 85 or higher range.

That actually makes sense, glad I know now. Why would it matter what the inside of the rim felt like as far as the PDGA was concerned? The answer is, it wouldn't.

Yes, I have hope too. But, as they say "Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane."

Shawshank.

Since I can't get Bards in BT easily I may try this in DX when it's available. This might be the VROC3 or whatever they were doing with that whole VROC naming garbage, IDK I didn't follow it closely. I need a disc between a Bard and Warship.

I don't understand this at all. Champ Rocs last for years and go on sale once a year, just like Vibram's Soft-ober and Glow-vember. They're $25. Considering how long they stay beefy, that's a small price to pay.

I recently switched my mids to Rocs, and it's been easy to find Champ throwers for reasonable prices, including a flat 06 Big Eye thrower (seriously, it looks like it was only field-thrown) for under $25.

They're out there and don't take anything more than a daily eBay check and a little patience. As I said before, you only need one. Of course I'm a hoarder so I've bought a few! :eek:

I don't understand this at all. Champ Rocs last for years and go on sale once a year, just like Vibram's Soft-ober and Glow-vember. They're $25. Considering how long they stay beefy, that's a small price to pay.

It really is more about being able to pick one up at a local store than price. I have a 14 USDGC I got for less than $25 and don't regret the purchase. But I like being able to walk into a store and just buy what I want there. Also, the dome thing. I just prefer flat for mids in a perfect world. I will use the Champ off and on, but would love that same stability without the dome in a disc I can pick up at my local store.

I'm interested. Sounds like something along the lines of Hornet/Verdict/Warrior/Sentinel.

I'm interested. Sounds like something along the lines of Hornet/Verdict/Warrior/Sentinel.

It doesn't look low profile however with a 2.2 height. Of course one can always flatten it at least some if desired. Champ is hard to flatten.

If the numbers are accurate(I know they never are exactly), 5 4 0 3, this should be what I want, but these are the same numbers as the Roc3, and I don't think the Roc3 has that much fade.

IMHO it is the Roc3 that is misnumbered, and is 5,4,0,2 working to 5,4,0,1 as it seasons in, and even my Star Roc3 is seasoning in more quickly than I was expecting. I'd come to realize that the Roc3 is not the OS utility disc that some might think it's supposed to be.

Ergo, this Commander disc sounds interesting if it's a more consistently OS disc that will fight the wind and deliver solid hyzer shots. Definitely has my curiosity up...

I used to hate the availabity issue with champ ranchos too. Then I realized:

I'm uber picky about my wizards
I only throw pfn star TL's
Im super picky about my dx and kcp ranchos
I'm super picky about my destroyers

So why not add another to the list of discs that i spend entirely too much time tracking down?

I also hoard USDGC Rocs. I have 8, I think. The '06s that TBird is talking about are the high water mark for Champ Ranchos, IMO. I have three...the one I bag is and X Out and still decently OS.

Of course I also bag Buzzz OS for really OS mid stuff. So I dont have a ton of interest in this offering from Innova. Am I going to try it? Of course I am.

IMHO it is the Roc3 that is misnumbered, and is 5,4,0,2 working to 5,4,0,1 as it seasons in, and even my Star Roc3 is seasoning in more quickly than I was expecting. I'd come to realize that the Roc3 is not the OS utility disc that some might think it's supposed to be.

Ergo, this Commander disc sounds interesting if it's a more consistently OS disc that will fight the wind and deliver solid hyzer shots. Definitely has my curiosity up...

I don't think anyone thinks the Roc3 is an OS utility disc.

Latest posts