• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

competitive round

Sounds like silly advice, but really try to concentrate only on the shot at hand. Don't let that last bogey phase you, and don't try to make up for it by going for a 80 ft birdie putt. Play the course, not your cardmates.

Silly or not I have used your advise and it has helped me quite a bit! So thank you sir..

i'm thinking of a few things at all times: course management, keeping tally of my potential birdie holes, my pars and holes where maybe i should play it safe if i can snag those birdies and settle for the safe stuff.

that's honestly what's going through my head 90% of the time. if you walk up to a shot and you don't know what to do or what disc to use, i'd say then there's a problem. i can't manage the course if my shot selection isn't dialed in.

the other thing i am thinking about is how i stack up against my cardmates; how good are they? do i know how they typically finish? if they typically finish well, then what are they doing that i'm not doing? what am i doing well that they aren't?

observing and learning from other players has improved my game very much; since i only throw RHBH, sometimes i have a problem getting out of trouble on the right side if i have to throw from behind a tree. then i saw a competitor turn backward and twist his core so he could throw a big old hyzer. you can guess what i did when i ran into that situation, and sure enough it saved my ass. other things over the last year and a half or so such as throwing lighter drivers (mcbeth) and putting with harder putters (feldberg). look at the lines your opponents are throwing. is there one you haven't thought of? why not? maybe be more observant on certain holes if you have the luxury - don't make some stupid complicated line, but sometimes there are very simple shots that just don't pop out at you.

and honestly, i love thinking about my cardmates. i get a big boost from being in competition mode and i will absolutely allow my ego to inflate if i spank them on a certain hole or drive. but i don't let my mistakes bother me because all i need to do is figure out how to make sure i don't lose more than 1 stroke for making 1 mistake. i've thrown better than average every time i've been in a league event. haven't done anything huge, but i love having to buckle down and really get on it.