• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Contact Paper Vs Vinyl - The great debate!

Jermy

Birdie Member
So, I finally broke down and ordered a role of vinyl to use for the last couple discs I dyed. Heres a synopsis of some of the pro's and con's of each. As I handcut everything, some of this may not apply to machines.

Pros
Contact Paper
- Very easy to obtain and cheap, found at walmarts and other hardware stores
- Easy to peel off discs after dyeing (Can be done without water)
- Fewer bubbles when transfering to disc
- Easy to ensure no bleeds

Vinyl
- More sturdy, Allows for more detailed cuts.
- Stickier, will stick to edges of the disc, can wrap around it
- Leaves very little sticky residue after removing
- Works better with transfer paper as it holds to the disc better

Cons
Contact Paper
- Detailed cuts require much more planning so the contact paper won't move around
- Doest wrap around the edge of the disc very well - NOT as sticky
- Leaves sticky residue after removing (Goo Gone can remove this easily)

Vinyl
- Have to order online if no sign shop nearby, can be a little more expensive
- Lots of bubbles created when transferred to disc, some can be near edges and maybe create problems. Because its so sticky this can creat problems when trying to smooth it out.
- Difficult to remove without using hot water

Some notes-
- Both can be obtained in clear, which is beneficial as this makes it easy to spot possible bleed problems
- After trying Vinyl, I think that contact paper may be the best choice for people just starting out or people that like to hand cut, with the exception of cutting more intricate designs. Vinyl is obviously the choice for machine cutters :p

If anyone thinks of other pro's /con's that i've missed I'll update this page!

Jermy

I get way more bubbles/bleeds with contact paper

I've done my last 12 dyes using contact paper and hand-cutting and have experienced zero bleeds. I think it's the time, effort, and planning prior to laying out the design and cutting that prevents the bleeds.

I use contact paper that I buy at Walmart. I have experienced a few bleeds, however, my designs are very simple.

I get my contact paper from Walmart as well, always use the clear. If you look closely at it you can see the difference between a spot that will bleed vs a spot that won't. I haven't had a bleed since my first discs using contact paper, I am pretty anal when i'm about to drop it in the pot though. I almost spend as much time pressing as I do cutting!

I get my contact paper from Walmart as well, always use the clear. If you look closely at it you can see the difference between a spot that will bleed vs a spot that won't. I haven't had a bleed since my first discs using contact paper, I am pretty anal when i'm about to drop it in the pot though. I almost spend as much time pressing as I do cutting!

That's definitely the key. I'm sure I spend as much time if not more pressing (before and after the cuts).

I too spend a lot of time pressing before I put her in. Very anal myself because as soon as I'm not anal my dye is not 100%.

If you want to use a design that goes to or around the edge of the disc then use vinyl for sure.

I actually use a plotter with contact paper sometimes for circles and text and it turns out ok, you just have to be carefull with the cutter pressure.