• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Control?

FlDeerman

I'm not a big arm.as a matter of fact I just started last year and I'm in my 60's.A 200' shot for me is going to be my limit for a drive.I was shown many different ways to throw last year and to some degree it kind of messed me up.I took three months off for hunting season and now I'm back throwing.The lay off seems to have helped.I know what I'm supposed to do and I do it with my limitations.I have the idea for the drive but how do you get control for the hole that is like throwing down a hallway?It has to be straight every time.

Control is typically a practice issue and/or throwing technique. Also disc choice, if you need something to finish straight at 200' you should be throwing a neutral to understable putter or mid, any driver will fade at that distance.

Get a MVP Tangent, or Discraft X Comet.

200 feet is the perfect distance for these discs to go dead straight without killing your arm.

I wouldn't say a putter, just for your age and distance level. I say this because my dad is more or less your age and has been playing since his 20s and he wouldn't throw a putter on that hole. He would generally throw his Condor (large diameter stable disc) or his F-8 Bearcat (an old Lightning disc...I don't know what they call it nowadays) so that should give you a good baseline.

I agree with the Comet. The Tangent could also be a good choice, but it does require some spin that you may not be used to. Other options are the Buzzz SS, the Prodigy M3 or M4 or even an Innova Kite. As you can see, there are lots of options for you. Just look for something that is Understable without being crazy understable, and you should be good. Good luck and let ia know how it goes!

One other thing I forgot to mention about why that shot might not be best for a putter, is that putters generally require a bit more height to go that distance. If that hole is a low cieling, you might not be able to get very far. Mids can go farther on lower lines.

I would suggest a Sonic. and learn to throw FH with said Sonic. You could also do this with a Polecat. Those two discs are awesome in the woods/tunnel/hallways.

I would suggest a Sonic. and learn to throw FH with said Sonic. You could also do this with a Polecat. Those two discs are awesome in the woods/tunnel/hallways.

This.

I'll be bringing all my Polecats to Charlotte in a couple weeks knowing what kinds of courses I'll be facing.

I'm not a big arm.as a matter of fact I just started last year and I'm in my 60's.A 200' shot for me is going to be my limit for a drive.I was shown many different ways to throw last year and to some degree it kind of messed me up.I took three months off for hunting season and now I'm back throwing.The lay off seems to have helped.I know what I'm supposed to do and I do it with my limitations.I have the idea for the drive but how do you get control for the hole that is like throwing down a hallway?It has to be straight every time.

A broken in JLS, Leopard, or Roadrunner would fly nice and straight on a 200 foot hole. Some can easily over power these discs, but they would be perfect for you. These are drivers by the way, and as I mentioned, they'll need to be broken in before they'll fly straight for you. I would also recommend DX or Star plastic. Champion plastic takes a long. long time to break in.

Ever feel like your spinning your wheels and getting nowhere? :D :rolleyes: [see his avatar]

Ha! Someone asked me a while ago if my avatar ever fell. I told them it did, but it's a REALLY long animated gif so just keep watching. I don't know if they spent any time watching it or not.

It take practice and the right disc. I am still horrible at driving, but I have came along way since I started. Do a lot of fieldwork to practice different lines with different discs to see what lines and distance you can get out of them. What discs are you currently throwing for your drives and how accurate are you with them? At one of the parks I play with, there is a guy who is in his 60's who just started playing within the last few years. He plays single disc rounds with his beaten in dx teebird and can do some fantastic shooting with that. One of them being a line drive about 5-10 feet off the air and goes about 275ish.

I'm also in my 60s. I know I'll never reach the distances the 20 & 30 somethings on this board talk about; so, well, I understand.

The MVP Tangent and Discraft Comet are great suggestions. You might also look into Westside's Warship and MVP's Axis (the Axis & Tangent overlap a lot for me).

Throwing 200' accurately with a putter is attainable for gentlemen of a certain age ;). I can, and quite easily, because I throw 5 or 6 days a week, with one or two of those days devoted to solely practice.