• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Convex wing stable drivers

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
I'm standing here holding this X Heat thinking how comfortable it feels in a forehand grip. I noticed that roadrunners feel really similar, with that nice convex bottom wing that fills up more of the space in your hand with less sharp angles.

Does anyone know of a stable/OS driver with a similar shape for forehand?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

It's not well known, but the Yikun Jun especially in the slightly more stable Dragon plastic is exactly that. The flight is like a slightly mellowed star Wraith and the wing feels great.

The convex wing shape seems to make the disc fly understable, while concave shapes fly overstable.

I can't think of a os convex disc aside from an abnormal:freak roadrunner, heat, etc.

If I'm remembering right I thing the FD2 feels more convex then most. tl3 may be in the ballbark. Neither of those are mega OS but workable. The Innova savant is probable best bet if you can find one. Way more OS then the numbers and it's a sidewinder wing I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ quin is on target with the sidewinder wing. In champ plastic a sidewinder is definitely stable so op might want to try one instead of searching for savants.

Champ sidewinders are for sure stable BH, but I haven't thrown many to know how they hold up to FH so I couldn't speak to that

I seem to recall the Innova Beast having a convex wing. It is more stable than a Sidewinder, but I personally consider it to be barely stable where I live at 300 ft elevation.

Two discs that have wings that are pretty straight, but probably not convex, are the Lat64 Striker and the Discraft Tracker. Maybe check these out, but definitely feel them before buying. Both have relatively steep wings that might not suit a forehand grip.

Eagle-L's have wings that I would categorize at convex, I guess. That convex wing makes it quite a bit less overstable than a Eagle-X though.
Convex wings and stability don't go hand in hand, it seems.

havoc is the fastest with a convex wing i believe, if you can find some of the older runs,they were more stable than the current runs, ie: the lava plastic from several years ago or some of the old opto. as stated above though,convex wings generally make discs less stable rather than overstable. most suggestions are more flat rather than convex though.

old pearly champ roadrunners , old champ sidewinders or some older new mold beasts may work too but you're going to have to look for high PLH in anything convex.

the lat64 havoc is the fastest, most intentionally(by flight numbers) OS convex disc I've seen, but it's really not that stable. probably a discmania td with the highest plh you can find would be the best you're gonna get...or 2nd run fd, but good luck finding one of those

Undertaker uses a very similar wing to the Heat as well. Haven't felt a Machete to know what it's like.

the lat64 havoc is the fastest, most intentionally(by flight numbers) OS convex disc I've seen, but it's really not that stable.
I thought of this because I like to examine wings when disc shopping. I have never thrown one, so I could not comment on stability.

Get your pitchforks.

Better form and/or hyzerflipping. Nobody needs a "forehand" disc.

As said numerous times, convex = more understable...

Plastic Addicts Intervention - which is the old Discraft Venom mold

I wouldn't say they're completely convex, but the wing is flat both on top and bottom (i.e. not concave at all) - they also fly pretty stable and mold up nice and flat - great forehand frisbee

Champ sidewinders are for sure stable BH, but I haven't thrown many to know how they hold up to FH so I couldn't speak to that

They work fine for forehands. Sarah (Stanhope) Cunningham won a world championship with them. Matt Dollar threw them forehand when he was with innova.

Latest posts