• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Convict as a FH driver

Lancerswimmer89

Birdie Member
So, I know the convict is a decently overstable fairway driver, but do you guys think its OS enough to be a forehand driver? I was thinking of bagging a Felon for that purpose, but since I already have a Convict, it would be that much easier, and I wouldn't have to spend any more coin than I already have.

Go throw the Convict you already have and find out for yourself.

There are no FH or BH discs. Only throwing overly OS molds will only hide form issues.

Good to know. I was always told that you need a very OS disc for Forehand shots because it naturally puts more spin on the disc, and you need something that will stop it from just floating to the left.

Convict works fine as a FH driver. When I first started I also thought you needed OS discs for FH too due to added torque one puts on a FH but you don't need any certain stability to FH well. Yes, some stability can help make it easier but I honestly get my longest FH flights out of very understable discs on a hyzerflip. I FH my neutral-understable putters too.

It really just depends on what kind of shots you're trying to achieve with a particular disc & what slot you're trying to fill in your bag. It really is the same principal as BH.

I've got a lucid PP convict. I find it comes out of a hyzerflip into a long straight flight with a fade finish, if it is high enough to finish. I like the stability of it a lot for forehand shots.

I am a firm believer that every disc is a FH disc. I have a 150g Avenger SS and if I throw it right with enough wing down its a heckuva hyzer flip that glides forever.

I find that the Convict has too much high speed turn for the FH shot I am trying to throw. Of course form can be adjusted to achieve the desired results but a Convict and Felon will generally behave as different discs with a FH shot during the high speed portion of the flight. Personally I don't really enjoy the Convict for FH shots all that much and much prefer the Culverin for that slot/speed category.

I am planning on getting out to throw tonight, and i'll see how it works for me. Currently I'm throwing a Surge FH, but can't seem to get any sort of consistent flight out of it. Hoping a OS fairway like the Convict may be more of what I'm looking for. But i'll let you guys know if it pans out or not.

I found convicts to be flippy turds (sample size of 2) so I would not recommend them for much of anything except rollers. I do suggest something like a volt or thunderbird that is straight with more straight with a little fade

I've been throwing around a Paige Pierce Lucid Convict and am starting to get some turn out of it with my forehand. My best forehand throws max out at about 300' so I don't have a powerhouse for an arm. And it is fairly new so I could easily see someone with more power starting to flip it.

I just added a criminal for this purpose, and a defender if I'm really trying to get some distance on my fh, which right now is about 300 max. During a cash game or tournament I'll reach for an OS disc, but during casual rounds I'm still working on getting my fh form down so I'll try to throw tresspasses or renegades on the right angle to copy how the more os discs fly. Found it easier to throw less os discs softer, get some flex and get the same distance.

I haven't used the convict much for FH drives but I use it to get out of trouble a lot. If you don't kill it, it will hold a line and finish with fade.

I think a Convict would make a great forehand driver to learn with. It's stable, not understable and not too overstable. I find it stable enough to be able to take a little bit of power and some torque without getting too crazy, but it won't cover up mistakes as well as an OS disc like a Firebird.

IMO, Convict is a great place to start and practice forehand drives. Once you get the hang of throwing it cleanly with some distance, you can then work on throwing a full range of discs forehand, from OS to US.

(For the record, I am a primary forehand thrower - about 95% of my shots on the course are FH. My fairways range from Felon OS to Hatchet US)

This is good to know. I feel like I was throwing FH pretty well, but I stopped throwing it to work on my BH, and it just feels like its gone to crap and I can't get more than 150-200 feet now. When I was throwing around 280' previously.

I found convicts to be flippy turds (sample size of 2) so I would not recommend them for much of anything except rollers. I do suggest something like a volt or thunderbird that is straight with more straight with a little fade

Me thinks you got broke ones...convict = thunderbird pretty much.

Latest posts