• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Corona Virus and Leagues

Ahh... I think I know why I really missed it. It was the post right before my advice to the OP. I don't think I actually read any of the replies, I just gave my advice and moved on and when I finally came back to the thread, it took me to the first post after mine.

Push come to shove, an outdoor event like a league or tournament has less potential worries than most things. A solid dose of common sense and a few precautions should make these type adventures safer than most.

sorta true. it's the other stuff going on this time of year (state basketball tournaments, etc....) that bring thousands of people to an enclosed building that tend to give me pause.

Since it is spring thaw for many of us. The good thing about disc golf in relation to this virus is we willingly go and dig around in muck looking for brightly colored round things, and happily repeat it for several hours to complete a round. The risk of exposure out in the open and with positively filthy hands teeming with other things is a lot less than say a putting league which is hosted indoors.

Since it is spring thaw for many of us. The good thing about disc golf in relation to this virus is we willingly go and dig around in muck looking for brightly colored round things, and happily repeat it for several hours to complete a round. The risk of exposure out in the open and with positively filthy hands teeming with other things is a lot less than say a putting league which is hosted indoors.
Veteran disc golfers may have developed some of the strongest immune systems out there, silently fending off all kinds of invisible assailants over the years. Hopefully, I fought off some early version of this year's corona as additional defense if needed.

Spending 3-4hrs in my weekend group or 8hrs at a tourney by a lake with your discs constantly landing on goose poop is one of the nastier things I've done in my life... and have gone back to those courses multiple times.:|

Spending 3-4hrs in my weekend group or 8hrs at a tourney by a lake with your discs constantly landing on goose poop is one of the nastier things I've done in my life... and have gone back to those courses multiple times.:|

Bang a putt off a cage and landing in a cow patty is quite interesting. But then that doesn't compare to running a jackhammer in a live manhole. Or the removal of a wax ring.

Ah the smell of sewer gases on a warm summer morning.

You are thousands upon thousands of times more likely to get things like lyme disease in the big scary outdoors and yet that's never stopped us from having leagues and tournaments in all the years those diseases have been around. I don't see why a respiratory virus that's probably going to die in the heat and humidity should stop anything we do. Our activities are not in confined spaces placing people close together. Its outdoors.

IMHO carry on as normal.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-statement-covid-19-and-sporting-events

NCAA member schools and conferences make their own decisions regarding regular season and conference tournament play. As we have stated, we will make decisions on our events based on the best, most current public health guidance available. Neither the NCAA COVID-19 advisory panel, made up of leading public health and infectious disease experts in America, nor the CDC or local health officials have advised against holding sporting events. In the event circumstances change, we will make decisions accordingly.

- Mark Emmert, NCAA president

I don't think we should panic or go apechit with lifestyle changes. Dave makes a valid point about Lyme possibly being more of a concern given where we spend our time.

That said, it just makes good horse sense to take reasonable precautions. Wash your hands- frequently.
Definitely before you eat, and also after handling anything that many other people come in contact with.

Get plenty of sleep. Burning the candle at both ends compromises immune systems. Consistently getting a good night's sleep helps keep your immune system strong, so you're more able to fight off infections in the first place, and able to recover quicker if you do catch something.

Given that someone may be carrying but not yet showing any symptoms, probs also a good idea to avoid taking hits off the same bowl as your card mates.

COVID might be a wakeup call to re-examine habits some of us we might take for granted.
If everyone makes a reasonable effort to limit the spread of infectious diseases in general, everyone benefits.
People who don't make any such effort are doing a disservice to themselves and everyone around them.

Last edited:
You are thousands upon thousands of times more likely to get things like lyme disease in the big scary outdoors and yet that's never stopped us from having leagues and tournaments in all the years those diseases have been around. I don't see why a respiratory virus that's probably going to die in the heat and humidity should stop anything we do. Our activities are not in confined spaces placing people close together. Its outdoors.

IMHO carry on as normal.

We don't know the odds of getting coronavirus in the future. Nor how warm weather will affect it. The odds could turn out to be hundreds of times higher than lyme disease---especially if we don't take precautions now. Or maybe they won't.

Somewhere between hysteria and apathy, perhaps we'll find wisdom.

The real problem is, the more people who get it, the more the chances of it mutating into something worse.

I run a league that starts later this month, and I'm going to be using latex gloves to handle cash. It's one thing if I get it, but I'd rather not bring it home to my wife, whose immune system isn't as strong as we'd like

I run a league that starts later this month, and I'm going to be using latex gloves to handle cash. It's one thing if I get it, but I'd rather not bring it home to my wife, whose immune system isn't as strong as we'd like

That is how I handled my league last week. Latex gloves on for the cash in, new latex gloves on for the cash out. Hand sanitizer once they are off. I am feeling pretty good...cough, cough.

IMHO carry on as normal.

source?

We don't know the odds of getting coronavirus in the future. Nor how warm weather will affect it. The odds could turn out to be hundreds of times higher than lyme disease---especially if we don't take precautions now. Or maybe they won't.

Somewhere between hysteria and apathy, perhaps we'll find wisdom.

I hate to break it to people, there are tons of corona viruses. They happen every year. This is just a novel (new) one. But hey, panic sells.

From a league perspective, the $$ handling wouldn't be as concerning for me as some other ... habits. Use common sense, this isn't even a highly contagious virus from what can be seen so far.

Latest posts