• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Corona Virus and Leagues

The science proves that being outside is probably the safest place anyone can be. The PDGA needs to jettison its pathetic agenda and promote disc golf as a safe activity.

Not if you're alone inside a room where a virus carrier just sneezed before walking out of the room.

I get that outside is the best place and if you can social distance for an entire round then there's very little chance of infection spread but my club is putting on a tournament June 13 and 33 people have signed in as interested. Will probably be more than 50 when all is said and done.
This is Ky. and our Governer's guidelines say only 10 people per gathering. I'm afraid that social distancing can not be accomplished with 50 folks.
Should I say something or just let it go? I'm really concerned for everyone's safety. Plus they could get the course pulled.

I get that outside is the best place and if you can social distance for an entire round then there's very little chance of infection spread but my club is putting on a tournament June 13 and 33 people have signed in as interested. Will probably be more than 50 when all is said and done.
This is Ky. and our Governer's guidelines say only 10 people per gathering. I'm afraid that social distancing can not be accomplished with 50 folks.
Should I say something or just let it go? I'm really concerned for everyone's safety. Plus they could get the course pulled.

Online registration and tee times are going to be the only acceptable methods for a while. It is also going to be very difficult to play more than one round a day for an event at this point. A tournament does not inherently mean you have a gathering of more than 10 people. Taking registration on site and holding a players meeting almost certainly does. Events which are actually going to occur in this area are going with tee times way spread out, online registration and payout (for pros, true amateur events for Ams), and online scoring.

The science proves that being outside is probably the safest place anyone can be. The PDGA needs to jettison its pathetic agenda and promote disc golf as a safe activity.

Is this an exact scientific quote? Outside is probably the safest place anyone can be?

I think it would just be safest to leave the decisions on PDGA events, to the PDGA, not necessarily MikeK the science quoter.

I am not sure what sort of "agenda", other than the safety of folks using probably science, the PDGA is using. Disc golf is only as safe as the players on the course. Many have proven they cannot understand or refuse to follow the rules. The risk to courses and events is far to great to allow dismissers to make the rules.

Here ya go, some evidence:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...utside-is-safer-when-it-comes-to-covid-19?amp

I don't understand this irrational fear of courses being pulled forever. And what is the risk to events? There is no way to prove someone caught the virus at a tournament, so how can a TD be held liable?

There is NO science or evidence within the article you posted. But, my point was not really that COVID is less less likely to be caught outside or inside. I think it is safe to say outside is safer. Of course, that does not take into account the ancillary activities many of golfers would take part in that make outside less safe. Stops at the party store, gas station, sharing sundries, high fives, money exchange, players meetings, score cards, borrowing a lighter...

My objection is to the belief that the sanctity of disc golf is fail safe. You may not want to believe that park systems are pretty disenchanted by the behavior of disc golfers, but you would be wrong, around here. My club has had conversations with two major players in our local disc golf community. Parks representing 236 holes, 12 courses and 6 parks. Both are very frustrated with disc golf. They are tired of the constant battle to gain cooperation in golfers, to social distance and follow the rules. One of the systems, after posting signs, pleading with golfers to follow the rules, pulled the baskets to prevent stupidity. The meetings and discussions that followed were very disheartening. These parks systems have boards to which they have to answer. A collection of politicians that see the game from a very different and unique perspective, than you or I . There was most certainly discussions of closing, eliminating and simply turning the courses into other projects. The same projects that have had the ear of the board for years. Often, well organized groups of people with other interests that are vying for the same land the courses are on. If you think dog parks, mountain bike trails and hiking/nature trails are not popular and a threat to courses, you are not involved enough to know. I can tell you that the virus, and the parks response to thoughtless golfers, has stopped a future project and likely eliminated the near future opportunity for larger scale events in just two cases. Disc golf courses in State Parks remain closed here.

I think the PDGA has done a great job, protecting the game, the players and the best interest of the courses at large. That may not have benefited you, but that is not what it is really all about, right? Everything is about saving lives, not liability, the ability to prove negligence or some perceived agenda of the PDGA.

Thank goodness my local officials aren't as paranoid as you and yours. One park here allowed our club to construct a course under this lockdown. So when our stay-at-home order is lifted in the morning, disc golfers will have a new course to enjoy rather than brood in the paranoid dungeon you must be typing from.

The PDGA is not saving any lives.

Thank goodness my local officials aren't as paranoid as you and yours. One park here allowed our club to construct a course under this lockdown. So when our stay-at-home order is lifted in the morning, disc golfers will have a new course to enjoy rather than brood in the paranoid dungeon you must be typing from.

The PDGA is not saving any lives.

Apparently COVID is a simple flu bug, round your parts. Sadly, nearly 5000 are dead in my dungeon. If you wish to call my unwavering quest to save the healthcare system, save lives and generally care about the welfare of my fellow man, paranoid.....I guess, I will bow to your superior namecalling.

To dismiss the efforts of government, science and intelligence, in the name of the convenience of playing disc golf, is short sighted and uninformed. I have had little success in educating dismissers, so I will save us both the effort.

Please be safe
and keep in mind, the virus has gone nowhere. Opening society only means we currently have room in the ICU for you...for now.

Rupor, when the violence starts because of the destruction of the economy over a virus that hasn't caused many deaths in those under 60 years of age, I hope you'll realize how short-sighted your tyrannical government heroes have been.

It may be noble to try and save everyone but it's proven to be impossible, and the fact that countries like Sweden who didn't lock down are showing the same approximate casualties as those who did ought to tell you it was an error to shut down for this long. I've lost a few friends and acquaintances down here to Covid in the New Orleans hot spot area so I've felt the impact personally, but we should be back at school and work now not indefinitely out. NYour tyrannical heroes sold us on the idea to flatten the curve until your co-workers in the hospitals could have the capacity to treat the sick... but now that the cases have leveled off they haven't released their grip on the throats of the citizens. Seems there is an agenda they aren't telling us.

Rupor, when the violence starts because of the destruction of the economy over a virus that hasn't caused many deaths in those under 60 years of age, I hope you'll realize how short-sighted your tyrannical government heroes have been.

It may be noble to try and save everyone but it's proven to be impossible, and the fact that countries like Sweden who didn't lock down are showing the same approximate casualties as those who did ought to tell you it was an error to shut down for this long. I've lost a few friends and acquaintances down here to Covid in the New Orleans hot spot area so I've felt the impact personally, but we should be back at school and work now not indefinitely out. NYour tyrannical heroes sold us on the idea to flatten the curve until your co-workers in the hospitals could have the capacity to treat the sick... but now that the cases have leveled off they haven't released their grip on the throats of the citizens. Seems there is an agenda they aren't telling us.

source.gif

Seems there is an agenda they aren't telling us.

So multiple governments around the world just happened to realize Covid-19 is a perfect time to push some hidden agenda? Doesn't that seem like too much of a coincidence to you, since there have been quite a few countries "shutting down"?