• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course access (poll)

How does course accessibility affect your evaluation?

• Total voters

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
If you follow the reviews here you've probably seen them all.

People who complain about a course being wa-a-a-ay off the beaten path, people who love it when they're fa-a-a-ar away from the city, people who complain when the course is right off the freeway, people who love doing drive-bys. And naturally, people who don't care one way or another.

So here's the question: How does course accessibility affect YOUR evaluation of the course? Or does it?

Vote early, vote often :D

Proximity to the freeway is a mixed bag. If you can get to the course FAST, that's great. If the freeway (and all its noise and pollution) border the course, it's no good.

The best answer I can give is: "It depends"

Being close to a highway doesn't bother me because I am used to it. The courses that I call my home courses are right off I-40. A few holes are within 100' or so of the interstate.

I wouldn't care to drive to the middle of nowhere to play either. I do that for a few ball golf courses that I play.

Most of my local courses are out in the middle of nowhere.....It does not bother me.

The more nature-y seclusion, the better.

Aesthetics matter to me, so right off the freeway is less peaceful, less pleasant, less desirable. EXCEPT, of course, as a stopover on a longer drive, when that same course is convenient and most desirable.

Doesn't factor into my evaluation, at least, in terms of driving distance or accessibility.

Having the interstate right next to a coursr usually means more wind and noise, sure, but I like to wave at people on #4's teepad. Pros and cons.

I don't drive, so wherever I can get people to take me is where I go. I like the secluded courses better, but play "whatever's closer" more often due to chronological and financial restrictions.

All that really matters to me is that it's playable. I have gotten lost once or twice trying to get to some courses so being right off the highway is a plus in that aspect but i do like to be secluded as well.

I don't necessarily care but I feel that the more remote a course the harsher I am, if it is below par. I just drove three hours, this better be worth it kinda mentality. I try to consider city centers when deciding on this, is it just because I drove 3 hours, or would others also...

When I read reviews I am almost always trying to decide what course to play in an area that I'm unfamiliar with but may be near while travelling, or have managed to convince my wife we should spend our day driving too. I always try to keep that in mind so if someone else is in the same situation they can make informed choices.

This would never factor into my evaluation of the course or my desire to play them. I will mention if a course feels particularly secluded though. All I care about is how good/fun the course is and the amount of travel time I have available.

I don't know about it affecting my evaluation as so much as it affecting my rationale for going there.

And the only time that really matters is when I'm planning a trip, time is a consideration, and a particular course that wasn't a marquee stop on the trip is on the maybe list. I've sometimes passed up better courses for one that was quicker to get to.

But if I was planning to head to a particular course, nah, no difference.