• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

COVID-19 Course Closures

I honestly don't think any of it matters. I have come to the conclusion that the few covidiots left violating all rules, simply are not bright enough to get it, or just don't give a ****. No signs, discussions, rules or deaths are going to make any impact on this group. Close them all now, before irreparable damage is done to the relationships with the parks. :wall: :mad: :wall: :(

Sadly, this might be the best solution.

I left these two cents on our local club's facebook page:

In my quarter-century of disc golf, I've been benched for 3 surgeries and 2 other health issues. Let me assure everyone that, if you can't play disc golf for a couple of months, once you get past the layoff, disc golf will still be there for you.

Unless the courses aren't.

Meanwhile, Stoney Hill's closed, which pretty well cleans out central and upstate South Carolina.
Look on the bright side: while everything is shutdown you can still play Stoney Hill, and you be able to say you played better than just about anyone else in the state that day!

I've been trying to keep an eye on the status of courses within a 100 miles of me ... I've noticed three more courses are closed due to COVID-19 according to UDisc users. Status updated on DGCR.

CLOSED: Heritage Point Park, Dalton, Ga.
CLOSED: Yahoola Creek Park, Dahlonega, Ga.
CLOSED: Frog Rock, Austell, Ga.

"""**DAY 9**
DISC GOLF COURSES ARE CLOSED!!!
We just got word this morning that our Austin area disc golf courses are closed for the time being. PLEASE be responsible and play other games where you live, rather than going to a course. This will keep our courses up so that once this all blows over we dont have to wait for the city to put the baskets back in the ground!"""

Found this on facebook :/

Look on the bright side: while everything is shutdown you can still play Stoney Hill, and you be able to say you played better than just about anyone else in the state that day!

The State Challenge! Like the WGE, whoever gets the highest-rated round, wins. If I can keep my brother off the course, I'd be bragging about my state-best 780-rated round!

Alas, I've pledged to tread lightly in the local disc golf world. I'm very lucky, under the circumstances, and very aware of that. So I'm counseling everyone to stay off the closed courses; probably better to sidestep any mention that I'm not affected, myself.

Spartanburg (SC) closed its courses and put up signs. Yesterday, there were reports of 2 groups playing Tyger River---one group, a sixsome. Today, it's reported that the park is pulling the baskets.

The thing that bothers me is that you gotta figure Covidiots that just don't get it don't limit their social activity to DG. Some don't even play DG.

Who knows how many of these morons are unwittingly contacting the virus, then passing it on to others, before (or perhaps even without) showing any symptoms?

Of course they are. When we were discussing enforcing social distancing here, and whether that should include carpools to get here, we knew that if people are carpooling, they're doing other things too. I'm reminded of a meme I've seen going around: I'm troubled that my survival depends on the common sense of others.

I'm more than bothered. At this point, it's the equivalent of people firing guns in the air, not caring where the bullets land.

Alas, I've pledged to tread lightly in the local disc golf world. I'm very lucky, under the circumstances, and very aware of that. So I'm counseling everyone to stay off the closed courses; probably better to sidestep any mention that I'm not affected, myself.

Same here. I have 2 courses that no one can access but me- HH and a new one on private property which we haven't opened yet. I am currently enjoying looking for mushrooms more than dg anyway...

Sounds like baskets are being pulled today at Mr. Airy.

Armco Park DGC Update!

Temporarily Closed

This morning Warren County called me to ask me to let the Disc Golf community know that the Disc Golf course at Armco Park is closed until further notice.

A specific note was that large gatherings have continued ignoring social distancing guidelines and group of about 15 played through today.

Please stay safe and healthy, and when the course opens back up, I will make another announcement.

:wall::wall::wall::mad::doh:

So what's the over/under on how long it will take, after the moratorium is over and the parks reopened, until the parks departments bother to put the baskets back?

They'll be busy catching up with maintenance, and possibly still short-staffed, and perhaps remembering why they had to go to the trouble of pulling them, to begin with.

(The over/under on how many never go back, is another topic).

So what's the over/under on how long it will take, after the moratorium is over and the parks reopened, until the parks departments bother to put the baskets back?

They'll be busy catching up with maintenance, and possibly still short-staffed, and perhaps remembering why they had to go to the trouble of pulling them, to begin with.

I suspect most of them will be better caught up on maintenance than they would be during a normal season.

Over/under on disc golfers bitching and whining about the baskets not being back is instantaneously... some will be bitching about it before the parks are even open again.

I doubt there will be many long term repercussions with parks departments however. They are dealing with this sort of thing in many different respects. Disc golfers just see it through only one lens.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but my gut feeling is that any course pulled explicitly due to COVID-19 concerns won't be back until 2021, if ever. And I think we're going to see a LOT of courses never return, because whatever public municipalities will have decided disc golf is more trouble than it's worth, because of all the stupid a**holes who think it's still OK to roll in groups 10 deep and flout social distancing guidelines.

The courses that were pulled earlier in the year due to annual snow thaw and rainy spring season (such as the Milwaukee County Parks courses, which do this every year) have a better chance at coming back, simply because the "pull baskets, reinstall baskets" routine is a regular part of course maintenance.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but my gut feeling is that any course pulled explicitly due to COVID-19 concerns won't be back until 2021, if ever. And I think we're going to see a LOT of courses never return, because whatever public municipalities will have decided disc golf is more trouble than it's worth, because of all the stupid a**holes who think it's still OK to roll in groups 10 deep and flout social distancing guidelines.

The courses that were pulled earlier in the year due to annual snow thaw and rainy spring season (such as the Milwaukee County Parks courses, which do this every year) have a better chance at coming back, simply because the "pull baskets, reinstall baskets" routine is a regular part of course maintenance.

This probably needed some extra clarification: part of why I feel like it is going to be a long time until these COVID-19 course closures reopen is that it's a combination of the municipalities seeing the a**holes being a**holes, and determining this whole DG thing is more trouble than it's worth, but also that I think it is going to take a LOT longer than many believe before we really have this virus under control. Like...I don't think this is going to be the "oh, it'll only be a few weeks" that many are framing this as - this virus is going to rage on for months, if not a year+. Which is probably part of why people are resisting staying home as much as they are - on a subconscious level, a lot of people know this isn't really going to be "just a few weeks", and are going to push the boundaries to the maximum extent they can get away with, because, face it, nobody in America is simply going to comply with effectively holding themselves captive in their own homes for months on end, if not longer.

Frankly, we'll all be very lucky if it is determined that we can relax social distancing, and that communal structures like playgrounds are safe for the general public to use again by July.

Last edited: