• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

picture.php

Relaxing in the fairway.

Yes, I need to mow.

So cool!!!...you hardly ever see wood seat swings anymore!

Copperheads have pretty amazing camouflage, especially in leaf debris and mulch. People probably do not notice most copperheads that are nearby.

I have only ever seen one copperhead in the wild. Well, sort of in the wild - the snake was sunning on an asphalt parking lot at our neighborhood pool. :\

I've encountered a few over the years. Out camping with my brother in the woods near a lake. We are playing catch and the ball goes over my head. I go to pick it up and this stick "jumps". Copperhead laying in a sunny spot. I think I woke it up. He jumped, I jumped. He slithered away.

Other than the jump, I've never seen a copperhead move quickly. Of course they strike quick, but I don't think they ever get in much of a rush.

Copperheads have pretty amazing camouflage, especially in leaf debris and mulch. People probably do not notice most copperheads that are nearby.

I have only ever seen one copperhead in the wild. Well, sort of in the wild - the snake was sunning on an asphalt parking lot at our neighborhood pool. :\

I spend a ton of time in the woods and only see maybe 5 a year. Saw a fairly young one at the new Forest Valley course the other day. The other 2 guys with me had a hard time seeing it even when I told them where it was. Their camouflage and their reliance on it is why they bite more people than rattlesnakes. The rattler will tell you they are there before you get close enough to get bit (at least a lot of the time). The copperhead just goes still and tries to hide until it gets stepped on. Nothing scarier out in the quiet woods than that damn rattle though- seems loud as a metal band.

I spend a ton of time in the woods and only see maybe 5 a year. Saw a fairly young one at the new Forest Valley course the other day. The other 2 guys with me had a hard time seeing it even when I told them where it was. Their camouflage and their reliance on it is why they bite more people than rattlesnakes. The rattler will tell you they are there before you get close enough to get bit (at least a lot of the time). The copperhead just goes still and tries to hide until it gets stepped on. Nothing scarier out in the quiet woods than that damn rattle though- seems loud as a metal band.

That "until it gets stepped on" is important with copperheads. I grew up in GA and did spend and have spent a lot of time in woods and creek bottoms and swamps populated with venomous reptiles. Copperheads, in my experience, are the least likely to bite unless stepped on or intentionally messed with. I have literally had them slither over my bare feet here on the ridge on two occasions. Still, they'll raise the hair on the back of my neck as I will myself into calmness when one just seems to materialize out of thin air when their camo breaks down. Hole #4 Ramcat is called Copperhead Hole for a reason. [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran into a timber rattler at Coopers Rock in WV. This was 35 years ago. They didn't have a course then, but they do now. So does this count?

It was early morning and I was checking out a rock outcropping. When I saw it, it was foiled, sunning itself on a ledge less than 2 feet below me. No warning rattle. Glad I didn't find it 30 minutes later. I have a pic somewhere. It had a lot of black in the pattern. One of the coolest things I've seen in the wild.

I've both enjoyed this thread, and been debating myself on posting for a few years now, since I seem to have some weird "luck" for mucking about with wildlife, to the point where I know it's just going to come across as fake..

But meh, here we go.

-On the subject of snakes, I've had a copperhead coiled up and angry about 6" in front of my disc when I leaned down to pick it up.
-Was about to step onto a rock when I saw a weird white spot appear, that turned out to be a young cottonmouth's.. well.. mouth.. opening ready to strike. Panic jumped over it and 'removed it from the area'
-Seen many more of 'em on courses around lakes in less dire situations, but the most interesting was finding a couple of 'em mating. Which, because it's dumb, is the only pic I have easily on hand to post...
https://imgur.com/a/fjK5BzQ

Moving on to what snakes would love to eat...
-I've hit a branch and knocked a chipmunk off it. Plus at Escondido Rotary in Cali I hit one of y'all's "squirrels" mid skip and sent it a few feet in the air.
-I've also "hit" an actual real squirrel just chillin' in a fairway here in AR (just caught it's tail)

Even if it's too big for a snake to eat I'm well versed!
-I can't remember the exact course, but someone from Fayetteville/Springdale, AR could probably tell the course, but.. There's a hole where if you shank a drive right there's a cow field to land in. I landed in it. After hitting a cow...
-I've also nearly stepped on a baby dear on 2 occasions. One of which was at OBU which I think is in the 'silly reviewer lines' (or whatever it's called) thread..
-Scared the red off of a fox pup sniffing my disc when I dropped into a storm drain after shanking one waaay OB, again somewhere in NW AR

And finally, the deadliest prey. Humans.
- I can't remember if it's in here on dgcr or somewhere on discord I've told the story of hitting 4 moving (aka driving on the road) cars in one throw, or the like dozen or so other cars I've hit at Beaverfork..
- The only person I've hit was at Kit Carson DGC, and it was a small hispanic child playing in the creek on hole 8 Iirc. My forehand went awry and hit her shoe. (I'm sure it still hurt like hell, the poor lass) I was apologizing, the dad was disconcertingly quiet , the mother was super apologetic, the tía wanted my skin flying from a flag pole.. I know I at least heard 'Chinga guera' or something similar so I just dipped tf out and came back with like $40 worth of candy and water guns. Got my first/only piece of tres leches cake outta the ordeal. 11/10 would risk Tía murder again for it

Awesome Slaigh. Thanks for sharing all that.

Sounds like you need a course around Lake Conway so you can add in a gator or two.

Sounds like you need a course around Lake Conway so you can add in a gator or two.

Agree, thanks for sharing. Not unbelievable at all. I think many of us can write a small book, on the cool/scary nature encounters, that disc golf has afforded us. Funny how a nice quiet walk through the woods and fields can reveal nature's secrets. It might be the top reason that I am drawn to the game. :hfive:

Lmao thanks, but I think I'll pass!
Admittedly it would make for a great story, but I think I'd prefer to keep my dinosaur hits on the mini-golf courses only..

Agree, thanks for sharing. Not unbelievable at all. I think many of us can write a small book, on the cool/scary nature encounters, that disc golf has afforded us. Funny how a nice quiet walk through the woods and fields can reveal nature's secrets. It might be the top reason that I am drawn to the game. :hfive:

Truth. I love all the random stuff you can happen across in the woods.
Also yeah, although it'd be a logistical nightmare a big book of memoirs from everyone would be super entertaining..
Though now I think of it, doesn't pdga membership come with a magazine subscription? Having a section in there for these kinds of stories could be fun for them to add in

Lmao thanks, but I think I'll pass!
Admittedly it would make for a great story, but I think I'd prefer to keep my dinosaur hits on the mini-golf courses only..

Truth. I love all the random stuff you can happen across in the woods.
Also yeah, although it'd be a logistical nightmare a big book of memoirs from everyone would be super entertaining..
Though now I think of it, doesn't pdga membership come with a magazine subscription? Having a section in there for these kinds of stories could be fun for them to add in

https://www.pdga.com/discgolfer-magazine

Content Submission

Writers. Please introduce yourself and send your submission to [email protected].
[...]

Funny how a nice quiet walk through the woods and fields can reveal nature's secrets. It might be the top reason that I am drawn to the game. :hfive:

Agree 100% except gnats, I eaten my yearly portion the past couple of weekends. :)

Agree 100% except gnats, I eaten my yearly portion the past couple of weekends. :)

I inhaled so many gnats at Seneca Creek this evening I decided to skip dinner. :\

Gnats: an under appreciated source of protein.

Gnats are the worst. I'll take Mosquitoes all day, every day. Deer flies are second worst, hands down.

I'm immune to mosquitoes practically. I might put on bug spray twice a year. Gnats and deer flies are by far my least favorite insects. June bugs are third. Ticks are fourth.

Gnats are the worst. I'll take Mosquitoes all day, every day. Deer flies are second worst, hands down.

I'm immune to mosquitoes practically. I might put on bug spray twice a year. Gnats and deer flies are by far my least favorite insects. June bugs are third. Ticks are fourth.

No chiggers in Wisconsin? And why June bugs?