• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

I was playing a casual round alone a couple months back, while walking down a path I heard some grunting. So I turned around and took a look at what was making the noise, turns out there was a momma skunk and 3 babies trailing her down the path in my direction. When I grab my phone to snap a pic the momma skunk took off in my direction so I got the hell outta there.

I have encountered deer, snakes(water moccasins, gardener snakes, bull snakes) birds dive bombing me, armadillos, snapping turtles, geese, and most recently we have an owl in the trees on hole #3. I play at a lake course, which is bone dry now because of the drought we have had this summer so the snakes and snapping turtles are gone. So to are the geese. Came up on a goose nest one time and thought I was going to get flogged by old mother goose trying to protect her young. Makes you think twice when your are in the lake looking for your disc and you see a turtle head bobbing up and down 3 ft away from you, or you are in the trees by the water looking for a lost disc and a snake falls to the ground inches from your back out of a tree! I hate snake so that stuff make you try to have a little more control on your drives.

Usually it's just squirrels, geese and groundhogs. But, I had an interesting encounter with a fox the other day. It didn't seem scared at all. I saw it as I approached the tee. Drove past it and as I walked the fairway it just kept it's distance. Started to wonder about rabies since this really isn't usual behavior for a fox in the middle of the day. But eventually it just trotted away.

Don't believe I ever had the chance to show these:

0811111706.jpg

I think this is the caterpillar from Alice.

imagejpeg_2D-1.jpg

Garter snakes here in the south are very beautiful, with the red stripe. Nothing like the northern ones I caught as a kid. Matter of fact, the very first snake I ever caught was a Garter.

Copperhead sighting today at the IDGC Steady Ed course. Saw the group on the tee next to us with a stick and walked over to see the snake. Apparently it was curled up just off the back edge of the teepad when one of them almost stepped on it.

Saw a gardener snake today. My buddy decided it would be a good idea to throw a thumber at.

white squirrels. i s__t you not! white as snow, as they say. there were a trio on hole 12(?) at Gordon Holton Memorial dgc in Delware state park north of columbus, oh.

pissed off Doe

I see lots of deer in western VA, but for the first time I found myself between a doe and her fawn this this spring. Mama deer don't back off in this situation and can make some pretty threatening snorting noises.

Saw this guy walking by a pond at a local course, the catfish was easily 10 inches long.

124168_g.jpg

While walking by a pond at a local course, I saw this guy. The catfish was easily 10 inches long.

Misplaced modifier makes the sentence say that the snake was walking by a pond at a local course, which is not really possible unless the snake has encountered some radiation or something. :|

X-Files!

While walking by a pond at a local course, I saw this guy. The catfish was easily 10 inches long.

Misplaced modifier makes the sentence say that the snake was walking by a pond at a local course, which is not really possible unless the snake has encountered some radiation or something. :|

OMG, radioactive walking snakes on a course? Was it speaking Japanese? (the snake, not the course! ) ;)

TMNT ooze

There is a honey bee hive on the course at Independence Lake. This one was clinging to a leg of another guy in the group. He was lethargic, didn't try to fly away when on this disc.

124200_g.jpg

Over the weekend I threw a drive within about a foot of a box turtle. I was surprised to find him out of his shell. When I saw him I immediately thought of this thread and was disappointed in myself that I didn't have my camera in my pocket. :(

I finally did it. I handled Argiope. A small one.

092611170113.jpg

ok I don't mind snakes, and spiders don't bother me as long as they stay where they belong. I am impressed every time I see someone handle a spider. Congrats! :hfive:

I decided that comment was better than my first thought of "F@ck That!"

Latest posts