• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

This guy's taken up residence along a creek on our course. My brother has encountered him several times recently, and he's fairly oblivious to people. Chris says he was only a few feet away today, and a few weeks ago he was perched on a branch from which we have a hanging basket, and didn't move until the 4th putt was thrown.

View attachment 59823

You guys oughta teach him to heckle bad putts.

That would be a hoot!

There were a couple of dudes riding horses across the 16/18 fairways at Perkerson last weekend. That was pretty wild.

Not the horses on the course as much as they were in downtown ATL in a very urban area.

There were a couple of dudes riding horses across the 16/18 fairways at Perkerson last weekend. That was pretty wild.

Not the horses on the course as much as they were in downtown ATL in a very urban area.

Yeah.....about the last course I would EVER imagine horses.

Agreed... that is very strange....

Is there a horse boarding stable nearby?

I'm curious whether they have mounted police, and the horses were out on their day off?

Perkerson is in the center of a rather rough inner-city neighborhood, in the center of a pretty big city, and it's hard to imagine boarding stables nearby. Not impossible, but pretty hard.

But if you had horses there, Perkerson would be the place to take them.

I'm curious whether they have mounted police, and the horses were out on their day off?

Perkerson is in the center of a rather rough inner-city neighborhood, in the center of a pretty big city, and it's hard to imagine boarding stables nearby. Not impossible, but pretty hard.

But if you had horses there, Perkerson would be the place to take them.

Definitely a rough area of Atlanta. There are a couple of colleges in the general area, the schools might be keeping the horses. And I agree with the idea it could be horses for the mounted Police.

9MDBIP3.jpg

Just a run of the mill black snake hanging out on a future fairway. Ah, the perils of course installation. :rolleyes:

Sandhill Cranes on Huson Mills Monster

My son and I were walking up to #17 short when a family of Sandhill Cranes decided to check out the long tee pad. Check out the baby crane in the tall grass left of the tee.

Since I carded a 2, does this count as a double birdie? ... or a quadruple birdie for that matter? :p

Attachments

• Sandhill Cranes Monster #17 (1 cropped).jpg
    Sandhill Cranes Monster #17 (1 cropped).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Sandhill Cranes Monster #17 (2 cropped).jpg
    Sandhill Cranes Monster #17 (2 cropped).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Sandhill Cranes Monster #17 (3 cropped).jpg
    Sandhill Cranes Monster #17 (3 cropped).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 94
Mowing grass on a course today, I saw at least 7 snakes swimming on the surface. Over the course of the day, at least a dozen sightings. Don't know what was so special about today, but when I swam in the pond later, I reached my full workout heartbeat about 30 feet before I touched the water.

My son and I were walking up to #17 short when a family of Sandhill Cranes decided to check out the long tee pad. Check out the baby crane in the tall grass left of the tee.

Since I carded a 2, does this count as a double birdie? ... or a quadruple birdie for that matter? :p

Great stuff, Bogey. Have have seen Sandhill Cranes on this hole several time, some pretty close encounters too. Great pics.....I am not sure i have ever seen a young colt like that. :thmbup:

I reached my full workout heartbeat about 30 feet before I touched the water.
lulz... I bet.

You're a braver man than I, Dave. Snakes fascinate me and give me the creeps at the same time.

I realize most animals want nothing to do with us and typically do whatever they can to be somewhere else when we come along, and I'm sure I've gone swimming closer than I'd like to animals I wouldn't wanna to swim with. The important thing is my not being aware of or thinking about them.

But given what you've seen in that pond, you'd never get me in there.

Speaking of snakes, I ran into 6 or 7 of these guys before I managed to putt out on #2 when I tried to throw this scenic 9 hole in Troy, NC. Shame the course isn't maintained at all and its overrun by snakes now, seemed like a neat course.

lulz... I bet.

You're a braver man than I, Dave. Snakes fascinate me and give me the creeps at the same time.

I realize most animals want nothing to do with us and typically do whatever they can to be somewhere else when we come along, and I'm sure I've gone swimming closer than I'd like to animals I wouldn't wanna to swim with. The important thing is my not being aware of or thinking about them.

But given what you've seen in that pond, you'd never get me in there.

Not all that much braver. Like riding a rollercoaster or flying in an airplane (for those with a fear of flying) or swimming at the beach, I had to convince myself that I've probably been swimming with those critters all my life, and they weren't going to bother me. If I'd seen one while swimming, I'm not sure I would have stayed in.

Last year we had a blue-green algae bloom. That kept me out of the pond almost all year.

My son and I came across this Red Racer sunning itself on the bench near the 13th tee at Mountain Pride in Murrieta, ca.

Attachments

• IMG_1918.jpg
    IMG_1918.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 70