• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Last year one of the times I played Como Lake Park in Lancaster, NY on hole #11 there were a ton of canadien geese up along the left side of the fairway so of course my drive ended up landing close to them. as I approached my disc a few of them started hissing at me needless to say I threw my second shot fairly quick and walked away so none of them would run at me. Geese are a very common sight around here they can be aggressive and charge you especially if they have their

Another time earlier this summer at Pinewoods Park in North Tonawanda, NY (a small par3 course in the suburbs) I saw two red-tail hawks while playing a round on hole #12 (basket #7 shot from a different tee). The one hawk actually went after my disc as it was flying, near the end of the discs flight. The hawk swooped right in and hit my disc out of the air then tried picking it up. luckily he wasn't able to get it up off of the ground and flew up into a nearby tree where his mate was. I still made par on the hole with my drive being cut short.

What's up with VA and the over population of deer? I just moved here and every time I play I see more deer than DG'ers! The courses I've played aren't heavily played but I'm talking like 2-5 deer every round and it's not like that just at the course. They stand in my front yard at night and eat my plants and 4 of the last 5 times I go into the In-laws neighborhood, I have seen 3-6 deer. They just stand there, not skittish at all. My wife says they will jump into the sides of your car sometimes if you don't stop. I am in SW VA and never seen anything like this, even coming from bum f*#% NC.

At Langan Park in Mobile I was fishing a disc out of a creek when I noticed a giant black vulture flying super low under the trees toward me. It swooped up into a tree next to me and we sat and watched each other for a few minutes. I didn't know they got so BIG. The sheer size of just the torso not to mention the wings was like the largest turkey you've ever seen at Thanksgiving.

I recently played Lake Dillon DGC in Silverthorne, CO. and my upshot landed next this rare and elusive creature, almost never seen in the wild. Hole 7.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it might be a bu**plug.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20160924_105310.jpg
    thumbnail_20160924_105310.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 133
He was hanging out above the basket... and we both carded birds so thanks buddy!

20160918_091846.jpg

iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
My best encounter was with two juvenile bobcats when I was on a business trip to my corporate headquarters in the Dallas area (Frisco). I drove to The Colony, TX and played this park called Bill Allen Memorial.

This course was in the middle of a really nice upscale neighborhood. I was in the middle of the course and saw two bobcats pouncing around playing and chasing each other. They looked to be less than a year old. I actually chased them for some time and have some video and pics on an old smart phone somewhere. The bobcats in TX are awesome looking. I'm from MO and their coat is more of a dull gray, but these were red/brown color with a cool pattern. After some Googling I come to find out litters of 2 are very common for bobcats and they stick around Mom while juveniles who can be highly aggressive if their young are threatened, so my NatGeo filming escapade may have been poor judgment. I was raised a hunter and have spent a lot of hours in the woods at dawn/dusk and can say that bobcats are elusive little guys, so this midafternoon encounter was pretty awesome and these guys were keeping distance, but certainly had some level of curiosity with me.

I told a I guy I ran into and he said it's a pretty common sighting and then told me he was playing there and saw a mountain lion once - which is plain crazy because this is not a huge expanse of land and is literally a neighborhood park, but he could of been trying to scare me - the non local guy.

My only cool animal incident is a really big box turtle found my roc+ drive before I did and gave it a good ole salmonella humping. I should have got a pic but laughed and missed it.

The rest is the usual deer and snakes.

Stubby that pic is A++

I went to pick up my disc on hole #7 on Picnic Island and saw this box turtle eyeing my Wedge.

Box Turtle.JPG

Yesterday, large Tom turkey was romancing his lady friend on Hole 8's teepad. Lindsay Municipal Course, Lindsay, OK.

Found this little guy next to one of my drives the other day.....face level, hanging from a tree branch. The general consensus of my throwing group deemed that this one was not of the poisonous variety.

This guy's taken up residence along a creek on our course. My brother has encountered him several times recently, and he's fairly oblivious to people. Chris says he was only a few feet away today, and a few weeks ago he was perched on a branch from which we have a hanging basket, and didn't move until the 4th putt was thrown.

IMG_4408 (600x585).jpg

You guys oughta teach him to heckle bad putts.

Met a juvenile coyote today on the first tee pad of a new course we have under construction. Apparently, he objected to our plans to revamp his turf. He was only 30' from my Jeep so I hit the horn and flashed the lights to get him moving along. I got a stare down and eventually he moseyed down the first fairway back towards the deeper woods. That boy looked very well fed...

He eats the chuckers that don't carry out their own trash.

Latest posts