• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cutter is framing the stencil

pacanova

Birdie Member
So, I've got the cutter installed and have run a couple of decals to make sure the blade is set and that I know where how the cutting head moves through a project. The problem I am having is that all my projects come out with a clean frame around the stencil/decal. It wasn't a big deal for decals as I only wanted the inside part anyway. The problem is when I cut the first stencil, the frame was not beyond the edge of the disc. Since these discs will be for someone else, It needs to be just right. Any ideas on what might be going on. I am using Inkscape and SignCut Pro for these projects, if that points anyone in the right direction.

Thanks,
Andy

You need to make the object you're cutting out bigger by filling out the space beyond the stencil. How I do this is in Photoshop is create a completely white circle about 10", put my black image inside of that, and then trace the bitmap in Inkscape. If you use a transparent background Inkscape will throw everything but the image away.

This was a hotstamp idea that didn't get used but it's the same premise.

picture.php

Another way to cheat it is just to draw a black circle around the image. Your plotter will cut out the whole black line of the circle but you'll still get the width needed to cover the disc.

I would make the circle further away from the stamp in the example below so you have enough vinyl to wrap around. This was another hotstamp.

picture.php

No problem. Good luck. I actually have a Photoshop template I use if you need.

It could also be the weeding settings for the cutting program. I know with signblazer if you use any of the weeding settings it cuts a frame around the image. Uncheck the weed all and weed each box and the frame goes away.

To echo what Mystic said, this is what I do: after hitting "Cutter" and getting to the screen where it shows where the image is aligned with the vinyl, I pull the blue box around the image smaller, basically framing the image. This is what I did that fixed the problem.

SignCut Pro also has a weeding box to uncheck. I like using the machine cut circle for a few reasons. It helps you envision the composition of the stamp beforehand. (Good for offcenter dyes) It also makes placing the stencil on the disc easier for me. (especially for opaque discs) I know that I have about a consistent inch and a half to work with past the rim of the disc. If I hand cut the circle the measurement would vary.

But it really comes down to whatever works for you.

F***! for fun new problem! My cutter makes it a little better than half way through the cut, then, it takes a dump. It start slicing straight lines through the stencil. The part I don't get is that it cut the stencil out fine without the circle but now it's all confused or something. Thanks for all the help on a very frustrating evening.

That's strange. If you revert back to the way it was does it fix it? Did you create weeding lines in SignCut?

I've heard that not having the plotter grounded properly can cause issues like that.

It could also be caused by the limited memory built into the plotter. Are you trying to cut a really complex pattern? I'm having trouble with intricate cuts right now and I suspect it's a memory or USB issue.

It could also be the weeding settings for the cutting program. I know with signblazer if you use any of the weeding settings it cuts a frame around the image. Uncheck the weed all and weed each box and the frame goes away.

This was my thought also.... Turn the weed boarder off

I wonder if SignCut Pro is different than SignBlazer. Last night I made sure I didn't have the weeding frame checked and it still cuts a square boarder at the edge of the graphic.

431106_10150646725660482_638725481_11522241_1827914690_n.jpg

F***! for fun new problem! My cutter makes it a little better than half way through the cut, then, it takes a dump. It start slicing straight lines through the stencil. The part I don't get is that it cut the stencil out fine without the circle but now it's all confused or something. Thanks for all the help on a very frustrating evening.

I had the same problem occasionally. It is usually a communication error. (i.e. loose cable, slow computer, cat bumped my plotter.) Now i just make sure every other program is closed, cables hooked in nicely and scream at my cat when he comes close to my plotter. Hope this helps

For the OP yes try turning off your weeding lines and i always start with a 10" circle in my design.

Latest posts