• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] D2

seedlings

* Ace Member *
I haven't thrown a D2, but have a couple in 400 en route. How do you like them? I've thrown Destroyer, Trespass, Captain, Relativity, Thrasher, Pharaoh, Defender, Ballista... Is the D2 just another high speed driver?

I looked back 25 pages and couldn't find a D2 thread. If someone has it, I'll go read that.

I haven't thrown a D2, but have a couple in 400 en route. How do you like them? I've thrown Destroyer, Trespass, Captain, Relativity, Thrasher, Pharaoh, Defender, Ballista... Is the D2 just another high speed driver?

I looked back 25 pages and couldn't find a D2 thread. If someone has it, I'll go read that.

I'll prerube a selection of threads here for you to peruse.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102880
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86680
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86059
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85938

Generally, when I want to search the Discs Forum for a disc made by a particular brand, I will go to the Discs forum, go to the bottom of the page where it says Display Options, and change the prefix to the brand I want. In your case, the prefix would be Prodigy. When you do this and click Show Threads it will show only the threads with a heading of Prodigy, which reduces the amount of threads to scan through significantly.

D2 is a pretty basic speed 13 driver. It reminds me a lot of a Boss or Nuke. Wide rim, fairly neutral stability. Most D2s I've seen are something like 13, 5, -1, 3.

The Trespass, Captain, Relativity, Ballista, and Thrasher are all flippier than the D2. The Defender is more overstable.

The D2 isn't shockingly long, but it's definitely in the mix in regards to other drivers of similar speed and stability.

Looking at these old threads, sounds like the D2 started out with very mixed reviews, then I suspect this forum maybe soured on them. Or they're just not popular discs.

D2 is a pretty basic speed 13 driver. It reminds me a lot of a Boss or Nuke. Wide rim, fairly neutral stability. Most D2s I've seen are something like 13, 5, -1, 3.

The Trespass, Captain, Relativity, Ballista, and Thrasher are all flippier than the D2. The Defender is more overstable.

The D2 isn't shockingly long, but it's definitely in the mix in regards to other drivers of similar speed and stability.

I appreciate your comments. I have lost 2 Trespass RHBH into gusty crosswinds right to left (a personal nemesis of mine). I really like that disc. I hoped the D2 might have a hair less turn in general. The Pharaoh has taken the (Trespass) slot of flip just past flat and glide straight, and just enough fade. The Defender is plenty over stable yet usable. If the D2 sits between these, I'll be happy.

Looking at these old threads, sounds like the D2 started out with very mixed reviews, then I suspect this forum maybe soured on them. Or they're just not popular discs.

I appreciate your comments. I have lost 2 Trespass RHBH into gusty crosswinds right to left (a personal nemesis of mine). I really like that disc. I hoped the D2 might have a hair less turn in general. The Pharaoh has taken the (Trespass) slot of flip just past flat and glide straight, and just enough fade. The Defender is plenty over stable yet usable. If the D2 sits between these, I'll be happy.

I'm a little hit and miss on the D2. It isn't even just the D2, but Prodigy in general. I like the quality of their plastic, but the discs simply aren't consistent. D1s are probably even worse. I've seen some of those that were MASSIVELY overstable, and others that were downright flippy. I've also run into a couple unexpectedly beefy D3s. Those are supposed to be pretty flippy.

I've thrown maybe 6 D2s. A couple of them were perfect (13, 5, -1, 3), but the rest seemed too understable. If you find a good D2 (true to the numbers) you'll probably like it a lot.

Prodigy discs are a crapshoot. You never know what you're getting until you throw them. Inconsistent stabilities.

I'm a little hit and miss on the D2. It isn't even just the D2, but Prodigy in general. I like the quality of their plastic, but the discs simply aren't consistent. D1s are probably even worse. I've seen some of those that were MASSIVELY overstable, and others that were downright flippy. I've also run into a couple unexpectedly beefy D3s. Those are supposed to be pretty flippy.

I've thrown maybe 6 D2s. A couple of them were perfect (13, 5, -1, 3), but the rest seemed too understable. If you find a good D2 (true to the numbers) you'll probably like it a lot.

Prodigy discs are a crapshoot. You never know what you're getting until you throw them. Inconsistent stabilities.

I'm only started DG this year, but I've read the same inconsistencies in other brands as well. Would you say Prodigy has more problems than... say... Innova?

I'm only started DG this year, but I've read the same inconsistencies in other brands as well. Would you say Prodigy has more problems than... say... Innova?

I'd say yes. Prodigy seems more inconsistent to me than Innova. MOST Innova molds are fairly consistent.

Generally, the wider the rim on a driver, the more inconsistency you'll find from disc to disc.

I trust Innova's products more than Prodigy's.

Every company is inconsistent on the wide rimmed stuff. Having thrown almost all Innova for about 20 years and now all Prodigy for about 4 I would say the variation is similar. The katana is the single most inconsistent disc I have ever thrown.

Every company is inconsistent on the wide rimmed stuff. Having thrown almost all Innova for about 20 years and now all Prodigy for about 4 I would say the variation is similar. The katana is the single most inconsistent disc I have ever thrown.

I agree... from any brand. Katanas literally are all over the place. I love what the mold can do, but you might have to throw 4 or 5 Katanas to find a truly good one.

Any of Prodigy's wide rimmed drivers are pretty inconsistent too, though.

I got my pair of D2 from the marketplace. Wow, do they have a huge flashing on the bottom - or is that maybe a bead of some sort? Experienced thrower maybe chime in?

Blue one flies just like a Trespass, with bonus significant increase in glide. It will flip up or turn over slightly and glide real far. The yellow one is super stable. I can get the slightest hint of turn into a brisk headwind. Excellent match for each other. Glide is outstanding on both of them. 400 plastic for both. I mention color because I read that might be a thing with D2.

I got my pair of D2 from the marketplace. Wow, do they have a huge flashing on the bottom - or is that maybe a bead of some sort? Experienced thrower maybe chime in?

Blue one flies just like a Trespass, with bonus significant increase in glide. It will flip up or turn over slightly and glide real far. The yellow one is super stable. I can get the slightest hint of turn into a brisk headwind. Excellent match for each other. Glide is outstanding on both of them. 400 plastic for both. I mention color because I read that might be a thing with D2.

Has to be flashing. D2s don't have a bead. I've seen bad flashing on other Prodigy molds.

Most D2s I've seen aren't quite as flippy as a Trespass, but apparently it's possible.

Does anyone know what the new PDGA approved D2s are all about? Based on the numerical values, the height has dropped a little and the inside rim diameter has increased slightly. Does that mean a bump down in disc speed rating?

D2 max? or is this a new D2?

It looks like a new D2 which is probably slightly different from the old D2 and the old old D2, not to mention the D2 Max and the D2 V2 but then I see they added a D2 Signature which looks new too but likely similar to an X2?

It looks like a new D2 which is probably slightly different from the old D2 and the old old D2, not to mention the D2 Max and the D2 V2 but then I see they added a D2 Signature which looks new too but likely similar to an X2?

LOL. What a confusing mess! You never know what you're getting from Prodigy.

If you really want to see some inconsistency, check out the D1. Those things can go from very flippy to super overstable.

LOL. What a confusing mess! You never know what you're getting from Prodigy.

If you really want to see some inconsistency, check out the D1. Those things can go from very flippy to super overstable.

You confused by it? Yeah everyone else too.

D2, D2V2, D2Max, D2New, D2Signature.

Should be fun for retailers to deal with that.

"I just lost my D2 and need to replace it" "Okay, here ya go" "No, not that kind of D2"

Latest posts