• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Dart P&A?

Old Dog

Eagle Member
I'm looking for a long range putt & approach, driving putter to fill a developing slot in my bag. I have been using a couple of Challengers (a DX , and X-Soft) as well as a DX Rhyno for all my putting and short approach shots. I've been using mids for longer approaches and drives on shorter holes but find I am overshooting the target more and more with them.

Judging by the flight charts and Innova's description I'm thinking that the Dart may fit the slot I'm trying to fill. A search of "Dart" didn't turn up a lot of information on the forums.

Is anyone throwing the Dart and if so please tell me a little about your experience with it. Is it a good long range (50'+) putter? Does it stick on landings or tend to roll a lot? How is it off the T-box on shorter holes? I play a lot of heavily wooded courses so I'm considering going with Champion plastic for its durability... any pros or cons to CH Darts?

The other day I was shooting a round with a buddy. He has a g* dart and was doing quite well with it. He nailed an 80' deuce for eagle with it. Me personally I use a nova for the shots you are referring to. For me the nova is a point and shoot disc. If it gets in the chains, it is going in the basket. Wherever it lands it stays. I have only had one roll away with it and any disc would have done the same the way it landed.

Dart has a reputation as one of those love it/hate it kind of discs from what I've seen. A lot of players, and I guess I would fall into this camp, have no problem throwing a more traditional putter like an Aviar, Wizard, or Judge as a driver and long approaches, so there isn't much need for a faster putter like the Dart. However, if you can't get the distance you need out of your challengers, but you're overshooting your mids, then something in between might work perfectly. You'll never know if you don't try.

Just throw your Challenger harder.

All the Darts I've seen lately have been dome city. Like, use one for your cereal in the morning. That's not to say they don't fly nice, I don't really know. But that dome.

The short answer is try a dart. You can get a DX or R-Pro inexpensively.

I love Darts but throw them only in certain situations, straddle putts and drives or approaches that need to move gently right. I don't think you'll throw it much farther than you throw the challenger.

As far as sticking or rolling away, I believe that has more to do with the throw than the putter. Throw with the angle of the landing zone, and the putter will stick. Throw shot that fades in on it's edge, and it has a chance to stand up and roll.

Just throw your Challenger harder.

All the Darts I've seen lately have been dome city. Like, use one for your cereal in the morning. That's not to say they don't fly nice, I don't really know. But that dome.

The g* dart my buddy has, has far less dome than any of the rpro darts I have seen.

agreed on the dome of new ones. it's love or hate.

also from my experience, when I used darts for long putts, if I missed I'd miss bad!
and usually take a bogey or worse. but that's me.

I think the aero is better for longer putts, but also that has a dome too.

I love my Challengers and don't intend to replace them. I just don't think they are working for me in certain situations so I'm looking for something to compliment them. If I throw the Challengers harder to gain more distance my accuracy suffers. I figure if I throw something with a little more glide I can get the the distance I need without having to push it as hard and loose accuracy. The Aero is another mold I've considered. In your opinion what makes the Aero a better distance putter?

the dart goes so damn straight. I use it for spin putts and more importantly those super tight wooded holes (you know the kind that have over 150 feet of 15ft wide fairway lined with trees).

the spin putts I put hyzer on it to make it dive down when I'm over 30feet away (or at an inclined/elevated) hole. when you put hyzer on the spin putt it becomes super predictable so you'll avoid two/three puts often.

the fun part is threading the dart through those gaps in trees (like less than 3ft gaps) once you get the form down - to save par when your stuck in the woods.

I have three darts all in a lighter 170g (two in DX and one in G-Star). The g-star is what I use for drives off the tee/long approach shots through trees because of its durability. The DX is for everything else.

Push putts are fine with the dart too, but the dome does need some getting use too.

the dart will go farther, and faster than the aero.
i would go with the aero because it more resembles a putter. And I don't think you will be punished as badly for a bad putt. But it all depends on the player preference.

aero does feel goofy in the hand. but so do the newer darts

DX Darts are the fastest, best gliding putter in existence.

They start out dead staight, maybe a touch understable. I had a really beat 168g DX Dart in my bag for years until I aced with it. It was great for short-to-midrange turnovers, anhyzer upshots, and get out of trouble shots in the woods.

I guess it's not for everyone (I don't carry one anymore), but it's an incredibly useful disc in the right hands.

I always thought a Dart would have more use off the tee rather than putting but I didn't find a huge distance difference between mid ranges and small rimmed putters given enough height. I'm not too sure about adding another stable putter anyway. For a compliment, I'd go a full step up in stability as Darts will not do much better in the wind than your full power shots off the tee with a challenger.

I believe developing several run up styles (standstill, x-step, whatever) will give you more distance control options for both ranges so that between the two more lines are available. Most of the time, my stable straight classic judge lands and sticks closer to the basket under 250' than a standstill mid but only if I'm not pulling them too hard to get them there.

Its amazing the confidence you can gain having a putter (or putter and mid) only round. Putters force you to learn good form or they don't go very far. However, they are easier to get up to speed so you learn proper release points that will speed in your development.

Last edited:
I tee of with my dart on almost every hole 250 or straighter I love the dart for drives it's a freakin beast I got two dx darts love um go innova for the dart

The Dart is my favorite disc. I use it mainly as a driving putter. I used to putt with it but it has so much glide that on bad misses it is way past the basket. It is also very touchy when putting with it in the wind.

It is great for the woods both backhand and for touch forehands. I would not putt with it. If you need straight line accuracy this is the disc. I use my Dart as my main mid when it is not windy as I can throw it farther than most of my actual mids.

I own every kind of Dart except DX. I just like the feel of the others better. My favorite is Echo Star if you can find them. The recent star batches have been very similar to the Echo Star. Before that they were very gummy. The G-Star are great and break in slower giving a little more stability which has been nice when I really want to crank on it. My champs are similar to the G-Star stability wise. R-Pro are the most fun as they break in fast to great hyzer flip flat discs and eventually to really long turnover putters with the same hyzer release.

My favorite shot with a Dart is to throw it high RHBH like an Ultimate Pull. It flips flat up high in the air and then glides forever back down forward and to the left. You can throw them really far that way.

This weekend I played a very hilly course and was reminded that they are money for all types of downhill shots since they glide so much.

Latest posts