• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] DD/Lat64 to replace Shark and Buzzz?

original Truth for the Buzzz for sure,

Shark? maybe a lighter weight Sling? not sure about that one, since it's a speed 4, possibly the heaviest Warrant or Fuse in premium plastic?

The Fugitive was Sharkish. The only good mold DD made and of course they OOP it.

The Shark you are throwing is DX so I was supposing that it was beaten in a bit so I recommended something more US than the Pine.

My apologies...that was my fault! I should have specified in my original post that I was referring to a disc to replace the Shark as it originally flew. Sorry about that oversight.

TripleB

The Fugitive was Sharkish. The only good mold DD made and of course they OOP it.

The Core was as well. They seem to have phased out a lot of their OG molds, most of which were pretty decent.

I would say Truth for Buzzz...very similar. Regular Truth. The Core is a bit more like the Buzzz SS, but the biggest difference is it's a bit more glidey and less power hungry than the Truth, albeit less consistent because of that. This is for the 5/5/-1/1 type of flight typically.

The Shark I see as a traditional mid, like a longer putter, that goes really straight and needs a bit more height. I think the Compass is similar to how I remember DX Sharks flying for me.

However, the Truth and Compass are different styles of mids as one is a low line drive mid and the other is a very straight and can be thrown higher mid...but what it comes down to is they are both workhorse straight mids. I think they would have a lot of overlap for most people.

However, the Truth and Compass are different styles of mids as one is a low line drive mid and the other is a very straight and can be thrown higher mid...but what it comes down to is they are both workhorse straight mids. I think they would have a lot of overlap for most people.

Right now, 2.5 months into disc golf, I definitely don't need any overlap - too many decisions!

To be honest, until I improve a great deal, I would love to carry only 10 disc in my bag (and probably should go fewer, but just can't do it):
1) Putting Putter: right now looking like a Ringer, although I'd love to try a Judge at some point, feels so good in the hand
2) Workhorse (in woods, hyzer/anhyzer/straight) Putter: definitely the Pure Opto
3) Understable mid: currently loving the Stratus
4) Stable mid: something to fill my Buzzz spot
5) Overstable mid: something to fill my Shark spot (although the Roc DX worked pretty well yesterday)
6) Understable fairway: currently using a Leopard DX...some have told me to try the Diamond to get more distance with less effort
7) Stable fairway: looking at the River for this spot
8) Overstable fairway: pretty satisfied with my Teebird DX (although I don't get to throw it often)
9) Distance driver: with my arm speed only one distance driver right now is fine for me...currently carrying an Avenger SS but to be honest, it's only about 5 to 10 feet longer than my Leopard
10) Probably and extra midrange disc that will hold any line I put it on to be used as a workhorse with a little more distance than my Pure

Thanks for everyone's help and input!

TripleB

Right now, 2.5 months into disc golf, I definitely don't need any overlap - too many decisions!

To be honest, until I improve a great deal, I would love to carry only 10 disc in my bag (and probably should go fewer, but just can't do it):
1) Putting Putter: right now looking like a Ringer, although I'd love to try a Judge at some point, feels so good in the hand
2) Workhorse (in woods, hyzer/anhyzer/straight) Putter: definitely the Pure Opto
3) Understable mid: currently loving the Stratus
4) Stable mid: something to fill my Buzzz spot
5) Overstable mid: something to fill my Shark spot (although the Roc DX worked pretty well yesterday)
6) Understable fairway: currently using a Leopard DX...some have told me to try the Diamond to get more distance with less effort
7) Stable fairway: looking at the River for this spot
8) Overstable fairway: pretty satisfied with my Teebird DX (although I don't get to throw it often)
9) Distance driver: with my arm speed only one distance driver right now is fine for me...currently carrying an Avenger SS but to be honest, it's only about 5 to 10 feet longer than my Leopard
10) Probably and extra midrange disc that will hold any line I put it on to be used as a workhorse with a little more distance than my Pure

Thanks for everyone's help and input!

TripleB

I think you'll find that the River is stable to understable, and will become more understable as it wears in. It may become redundant with your Leopard.

Also something to consider for that last spot in your bag, depending on the courses you play. And that's a very overstable mid for utility purposes. I'm talking much more OS than a Shark. Ideas are the Hornet, Drone, Justice, Gator, Mortar, etc. Or an overstable approach disc like the Harp, Zone, AviarX3, etc. Really helped my game when I added them (I use the Harp, and sometimes bag a Hornet, depending on the course I'm playing), and you might be surprised how useful they can be.

I think you'll find that the River is stable to understable, and will become more understable as it wears in. It may become redundant with your Leopard.

Also something to consider for that last spot in your bag, depending on the courses you play. And that's a very overstable mid for utility purposes. I'm talking much more OS than a Shark. Ideas are the Hornet, Drone, Justice, Gator, Mortar, etc. Or an overstable approach disc like the Harp, Zone, AviarX3, etc. Really helped my game when I added them (I use the Harp, and sometimes bag a Hornet, depending on the course I'm playing), and you might be surprised how useful they can be.

I was wondering about that...although, if I could get it to work itself to a point between where it starts and my Leopard I don't have a problem removing my DX Leopard from the bag...was thinking of getting the river in Gold Line or Opto so the better plastic would be nice as well.

And then I considered the Saint instead of the River, thinking it would get beat in some and become something more of a straight flyer. Although I found a 160g Escape (with no name on it) the other day on the course...which seems to have very similar numbers to the Saint.

Funny you should mention the very mid...the hole where I threw my DX Roc, if it would have had a bit more fade on it I would have been laying within 10 feet of the target. My Teebird would have been too long and if I'd have thrown the Roc harder it would have gone too far. I thought an EMAC Truth might fit that spot nicely but from what I've read it seems to be less stable than the Roc. So I was looking at DD/Lat64 discs for that shot and was looking into the Verdict. Thanks for the other suggestions!!!

TripleB

Last edited:
I would take every disc out of your bag besides the tb, river, buzz, pure, and ringer.

This! You should be able to tackle most courses with those four discs and learn to manipulate lines with fewer discs. Heck, you really just need a Buzzz and a putter at two months in.

Thanks for all the helpful input!

Disc golf seems a lot like tennis in the fact that you have to try various racquets/discs to find what works best for you and what racquet/disc gives you confidence in the shot your trying to pull off. Thank goodness you don't to worry about what type of string and tension to use with discs!

For right now I'm going to go with a DD Truth in Lucid (171g or 176g, haven't decided yet) and hold off on an overstable mid...just use my Roc since it seems to be working well right now.

Again, I appreciate all the input!!

TripleB

Westside Pine for Buzzz, Lat 64 Fuse for Shark.

Westside VIP is their Lucid/Opto plastic

What Fuses have you been throwing that you can compare them to a Shark or visa versa? The Fuse is neutral to understable and the Shark is more on the overstable side. Both more HSS and LSS. Genuinely curious.