• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] DD3

Like Destroyers, the DD3 can really vary.

I've got Cloudbreakers that are stupid beefy. I have seen other ones that weren't as overatable. Some are domey, some are flatter, some have an almost straight lower wing profile, some don't.

I have a couple of the Echo DD3's which are supposed to have more turn than the S-line but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

I would definitely say try and pick one out in person and probably look at the same things everyone looks at on a Destroyer to try to find one that might show more turn.

I've got 6 DD3 now and none have these wings, I bought them all online though so I would second the advice here.

But I still wouldn't expect much turn without 425+ feet of power. I'd encourage you to look at a different mold.

I used to bag lighter 160-168 star destroyers with the flat wings for that nice S-curve distance shot

The echo DD3 appears to be closer to that stability.

I was originally going to suggest just handpicking destroyers with the flat wing, because I have a larger sample size of several (at least 4-5). They all show turn out to about 400' out of the box.

But because this is the DD3 thread, I recommended looking for those as well, even though my sample size is one.

My one DD3 is a cloudbreaker. But it's a 167, has a flat wing, and flies neutral to 400' for me. Very glidey flier with a forward penetrating fade.

DD3 isn't going to turn without 450+ feet of average power. I can probably throw mine 425 on my best day and it's not turning on a flat rip. It will hold hyzer too, no flip up.

The echo line has turn right out of the box. They were a very limited run. I would look elsewhere.

The Falcon is pretty nice, easy to control, turns out of the box, and it's fast and long.

My DD3 was definitely turning on less than 450' power. I'm not saying the thing is at all flippy, but I was getting it to bend right on anything approaching 400'.

I found the DD3 to have more high speed turn than most star Destroyers. It also holds the high speed turn longer before fading.

If you can hand pick destroyers or DD3s, look for the ones with the flat wings.

So far this has done me well with Wysocki Destroyers. Flatter wing ones have a wonderful flight. High speed turn followed by a gradual fade.

I'd also recommend looking for a good/big dome too. Flatter Destroyers are always glideless beef.

My DD3 was definitely turning on less than 450' power. I'm not saying the thing is at all flippy, but I was getting it to bend right on anything approaching 400'.

I found the DD3 to have more high speed turn than most star Destroyers. It also holds the high speed turn longer before fading.

Just a standard S-line or CB? The stock S-lines I have do show a little turn but they're not getting a ton of turn at that distance. CBs that I have don't show any turn whatsoever and have a very healthy fade. The color glow DD3 I have can't be thrown flat or they'll burn into the ground. They're great for tailwind or hyzerflip distance but they get very squirrely on me.

I have been throwing the Echo DD3 for a week now. I can indeed confirm it is an easier to throw version. But with some angle control and a clean release these things absolutely bomb. For me they fly a lot like those gummy, understable AJ Destroyers but with more glide and a pinch more fade. They don't have a lot of lateral movement, a very controllable turn and a gentle, glidey fade.

Keep in mind i throw them 450-500ft and with a hefty amount of hyzer. They are also awesome for hyzers in tailwinds. Headwinds, no go. Sidearm flip up? Yes.

Just a standard S-line or CB? The stock S-lines I have do show a little turn but they're not getting a ton of turn at that distance. CBs that I have don't show any turn whatsoever and have a very healthy fade. The color glow DD3 I have can't be thrown flat or they'll burn into the ground. They're great for tailwind or hyzerflip distance but they get very squirrely on me.

Regular S line. Huge dome on it. Mine isn't flippy, but it'll turn.

I'd also recommend looking for a good/big dome too. Flatter Destroyers are always glideless beef.

I've got a couple of flat, flat winged GStar DSs that would like to disagree with your statement. Almost turn and burn into the ground from a flat release flippy, at about 350' power. Makes for great hyzerflip practice discs.

I've got a couple of flat, flat winged GStar DSs that would like to disagree with your statement. Almost turn and burn into the ground from a flat release flippy, at about 350' power. Makes for great hyzerflip practice discs.

G* plastic is different. That stuff will flip no matter how much dome there is (or isn't). Regular star or champion Destroyers are horribly beefy if they're flat.

Obviously the flat wing makes a difference too. Flat wing Destroyers are GENERALLY flippier than concave wings.

Today I acquired a DD3 cloudbreaker in a trade. It weighs 167 and has a flat, blizzard-textured wing - reminiscent of the 2017 philo destroyers. It also has a very healthy pop-top.

The lighter weight, blizzard rimmed with the big pop tops are the most recent run of CB's. They're still plenty available if you want another.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I threw my 2nd DD3 the other day. Like the first one, this one's an S line, 175g. Also like the first one, this 2nd DD3 flew great. I love the way this mold flies. Like that perfectly broken in Destroyer. I get get this disc to turn, and hold it without becoming flippy or drifting too far right.

The DD3 also does very well on high, forced anny lines.

I'm really surprised this disc isn't more popular. It reminds me exactly of proto star Destroyers from 10 years ago. Nice glide, high speed turn, and a mellow fade.

So far the DD3 and Enigma are my two favorite Destroyer clones.

Cloudbreaker

Finally got to try a Cloudbreaker today. 175g.

First things first, the disc is beautiful. Shiny, swirly plastic with pink, purple, blue, and green tints. The disc itself is pretty flat, flatter than any other DD3 I've seen to date.

Absolute beef! I was disappointed at how stunningly overstable this thing is. It reminds me a lot of a proto Kong or a heavy, flat McBeth Destroyer. Glide was poor. The thing literally didn't want to stay in the air at all. Whatever distance I got out of this Cloudbreaker I had to earn. I wasn't able to turn this disc, or even keep it flat for any length of time. All the longest throws I got with it I did by forcing it over hard anny. Even doing that the disc would fight out of it quickly and look for the ground.

Top distance was right at 400'. I had to slaughter the Cloudbreaker anhyzer to get it. This is NOTHING like the 3 prior DD3s I'd thrown.

Cloudbreaker: 12, 4, 0, 3. Beef is the word. MUCH more overstable (and flatter) than other DD3s I've tried. Highly reminiscent of a really stubborn Destroyer. No high speed turn at all on hard, flat releases.

None of the one's I've thrown are similar to the good old destroyers.

I've had more luck with Outlaws.

The first DD3 I threw was like a perfect (somewhat beat in) star Destroyer. It had a big dome. Great glide, some high speed turn, and a mellow fade.

I've thrown a couple DD3s since, and they've been beefy and not as glidey. The Cloudbreaker was super overstable.

I have 9 pieces across 3 variants: echo 175g, most flippy yet very workable. Not unpredictable. Great distance. Sub-170g s-line, almost as long especially on a flex line. You can see them really fight to glide even when fading. 175 S-line: most stable but not really OS per se. Headwind makes em straight. Otherwise, huge flex lines are their bread and butter.

I was wondering why I was seeing Color Glow C-Line DD3s selling for $70 to $80. They where only available in a mystery box so they are a bit rare.
Around that same time I was seeing these high prices I was able to pick up a few Echo DD3s. The Echo DD3 is less stable than all the prototype Cloudbreaker and S-Line DD3s I have tested. This means the Echo DD3 will go farther for the majority of folks throwing 300 to 400 feet. This caused the Echos to sell out fast.

I then started to hear folks talk about how the Color Glow C-Line is closer in stability to the Echo DD3s.
I have a Color Glow DD3 that I had inspected, measured, and compared to many other DD3s and I could tell from looking at that information that the Color Glow I have is for sure on the overstable side of things. So I asked to borrow my friends Color Glow so I could compare it as well. I found that his Color Glow is completely different than mine.

The protos I have compared are all very similar to each other.
The S-lines I have compared are all similar to each other.
The echos are all similar.
The only DD3s that I have seen vary hugely in stability within one plastic set is the Color Glow C-line DD3.

So I took some photos to show you all what I am describing above. So this is a PSA to anyone thinking of spending $70 to $80 in hopes of getting a sweet understable Color Glow DD3. It's luck of the draw. No big surprise that there is huge variation in a wide rim disc made by innova, but I had not yet seen it happen with DD3s until the Color Glow plastic.

JRzG2f7.jpg

Quick review of the new Cloud Breaker 2. I really loved the excellent combination of glide and stability it has. It has substantially more glide than the Cloud Breaker 1. It is much more friendly to lesser arms like myself. The closest comparison to it is a Color Glow DD3 that has similar flight characteristics. The plastic isn't as swirly as you would anticipate and has a touch less grip versus the Cloud Breaker 1. Both of these discs will get in to my bag and replace my 2nd run Cloud Breaker 1 as the CB 2 has more glide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VhlCIey-6E

Last edited:

Latest posts