• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dear Rec Players....Whaddaya want?

We have a lot of players in Rec. There's some that are never going to leave no matter how many times they win that division.
This is precisely why I'm against offering much if anything in the way of payout for Rec.

Of course, if a TD had a group of career MA3's and wanted to offer MA4 for beginners, that might change things.

Player pack.

Choice of an additional disc for the top 3.

Cash payout for Rec doesn't seem logical.

Player packs and the competition are what pulled me into this game. I'd much rather see balanced distribution of funds over the beg, rec, and int divisions. Most adv and pro players own everything already, so making those payouts more top heavy seem fine, but not at the entry level.

You could always do trophy only and charge 15 to enter. (added the 5 for players pack requirement).

Perhaps obvious, but Rec players, like disc golfers in general, have a diverse set of goals and desires. Trying to find the "right" way to do it will drive you bonkers. Though if you scrounge up a ton of outside money so you can have lavish players packs AND bounteous payouts, you'll get fewest complaints.

As a rec player, I would prefer to get the same players pack as everyone else. If that reduces the payout to a small amount, I would prefer the small amount be spent on the trophies and have a trophy only tournament.

I think the problem lies from trying to pigeonhole what REC is.

It is probably the most diverse field because you have:

New to tournament players who don't know where they should be and are INT or maybe even ADV
New players
Older players who just never excelled and are legitly rated
Newer players who struggle with consistancy in a tournament environment but throw well in practice
Players returning from injury
Non PDGA members who use rec to get plastic
Kids who play rec because no juniors div
Women who play rec because no other women

And the list goes on and on

My suggestion is to treat them the same as anyone else and don't make stupid ass tees for them either.

I think the problem lies from trying to pigeonhole what REC is.

It is probably the most diverse field because you have:

New to tournament players who don't know where they should be and are INT or maybe even ADV
New players
Older players who just never excelled and are legitly rated
Newer players who struggle with consistancy in a tournament environment but throw well in practice
Players returning from injury
Non PDGA members who use rec to get plastic
Kids who play rec because no juniors div
Women who play rec because no other women

And the list goes on and on

My suggestion is to treat them the same as anyone else and don't make stupid ass tees for them either.

want to TD up here for my tourneys?

Perhaps obvious, but Rec players, like disc golfers in general, have a diverse set of goals and desires. Trying to find the "right" way to do it will drive you bonkers. Though if you scrounge up a ton of outside money so you can have lavish players packs AND bounteous payouts, you'll get fewest complaints.

This part is true. I get several thousand dollars for my doubles tourney every year and have few complaints...about payout. Everyone gets two discs, a mini or two and a t-shirt. This year I'm hoping to add a few extra little things if all of my sponsorship requests come through.

As a rec player, I would prefer to get the same players pack as everyone else. If that reduces the payout to a small amount, I would prefer the small amount be spent on the trophies and have a trophy only tournament.

^this

Rec (MA3) and Novice (MA4) divisions locally cost $28 for a C-tier. Int (MA2) pays $33, Adv (MA1) $38. Amateur player pack is a $10 voucher for tourney store merchandise, all am divisions. $2 goes into the point series payout, paid at the end of the season, I think $3 to the PDGA (correct me if I'm wrong), and the rest goes to payouts, subtracting for trophies and other small miscellaneous expenses.

I just played in my first tourney last weekend. I played in the rec div. I won the div, and got a trophy and a payout that was just a few dollars more than my entry fee I also got a players pack as did everyone else. I was more than happy. I also would have been happy with a players pack only. I do not agree though where in a lot of tourneys you will have six or eight people play the top division and twenty five people play the rec division, and their money all goes to pay out the top division when the rec division is the ones who brought in the most money. Fukc that! Back home that was the way that it always was, so I for one decided not to play because the guy who ran the tourney was going to win the top div, because there was nobody else who could beat him in the area. So he made mad cash for running the tourney, and mad cash for winning pro. Meanwhile the rec division held three quarters of the players, and got paid a quarter of the money. The tourney I played in this weekend had two pro players and their division payed out the most money. Where is the fairness in that?

I do not agree though where in a lot of tourneys you will have six or eight people play the top division and twenty five people play the rec division, and their money all goes to pay out the top division when the rec division is the ones who brought in the most money.The tourney I played in this weekend had two pro players and their division payed out the most money. Where is the fairness in that?

I agree. I never use money from one division to pay another division...though I know this happens a lot.

If Rec Players are paying a lower registration fee at PDGA's than other AM's, example: $50 Advanced vs $30 dollars Rec.

I know that you are the one to start the thread and are the one asking the questions......but why does Rec need to pay so much to play? Why not a $15-20 entry fee that comes with a nice tournament disc and some small trophies for 1st - 3rd? If they are already paying less, why not go all the way with the concept?

Then, suddenly the question about whether to wager or to get a bunch of stuff you don't really want gets pushed up into the more competitive divisions.

From what I've seen in 2+ years of tournament play is that the MPO (Open) division is the one with the most unnecessary drama. Why any TD would cater to them by taking money from Ams I'll never know.

Be good to the Recs, that way they will keep coming back. A disc in the players pack with the tournament logo so they have a nice souvenir. trophy for 1-3. If you can afford it also pay some plastic to top 50%.

I know that you are the one to start the thread and are the one asking the questions......but why does Rec need to pay so much to play? Why not a $15-20 entry fee that comes with a nice tournament disc and some small trophies for 1st - 3rd? If they are already paying less, why not go all the way with the concept?

Then, suddenly the question about whether to wager or to get a bunch of stuff you don't really want gets pushed up into the more competitive divisions.

I agree with your comments and would love to see a $15-20 rec division in my area where we get a small players pack and very little in terms of payout. I enjoy the competitive nature of tournaments but I'm pretty outclassed in the current AM division with the sandbaggers that fill up the bottom division.