• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Decision Fatigue choosing Putting Style

I don't think you ever master putting. You have to keep doing it over and over to maintain.

Yep I agree. There is something going on with the finger and hand tendons and ligament strength where it takes years of practice to develop the skill to get that pop where the disc comes out of your hand with authority. It really reminds me a LOT with playing a musical instrument like the guitar or piano. I could show you the notes and cords and you could know every one but without years of practice you're simply not going to have the dexterity, speed and strength in those little ligaments and tendons to fly through notes and cords and play a song, just like a big strong guy isn't going to be able to bang down putts without some serious practice time.

I've taken out really athletic and strong people discing before and there putts are almost always weak and fluffy, it's as if you really don't use those muscles in that unique way unless you've actually done it before. There is some crossover with baseball and other throwing sports where they seem to pick it up faster because some of that hand/finger strength has been developed.

I am super conflicted and want to nail down a putting style and stick with it. Every time I watch a pro push video I'm convinced that's the best style...then I see a splush or a spin and am again convinced. lol.

I want to pick something and stick with it so I can spend this year practicing and getting better and stop bouncing around.

How do I choose? How many reps is enough to know something isn't for me? There has to be a best one based on my body type / shape / natural abilities...but I have no idea how to go about deciding.

tyty

There probably is one best one based on your body and natural abilities, unfortunately you're never going to know that, so don't worry about trying to figure it out. You'd do better to find one you are mentally happy with and confident in.

As people have said, the MOST important part is practice.

Short story, followed by some things to consider.

I just went through this last year. Picked the game back up after a 15-20 year absence. My putting was horrible. I was staggered stance, sort of spush putting. I wasn't good. I found when I was going straddle putts around obstacles I was REALLY good. I went to straddle putting full-time...then I got crappy at straddle putting. Came to the realization I wasn't really any better at straddle putting, what I WAS better at was that when straddle putting was not the norm, I put way more focus on those putts...where my feet were going, my form, because it wasn't my natural putt. I play a lot of random doubles, and my putting still isn't great. In singles tournaments, all of a sudden my putting goes amazingly. Even though I TRY to focus playing doubles, my brain just can't get with the same level of focus that I can when it's just me playing by myself.

So advice/things to consider:

-What kinds of putts are you likely to encounter in your area? If I played heavily wooded courses, I'd probably have practiced straddle putts until it was comfortable.
-How windy is your area? While a "spush" putt is most natural to me...it's not great for the 30mph winds we get in the spring. I've been forced to slowly amp up the spin.
-What feels natural? My straddle putts naturally have more of a push putt stroke, and my staggered putts are much easier for me to spin.
-Do you typically play a home course? If so what kinds of putts are you likely to encounter? As an example, I play a relatively short home course...which means my long putts are poor because I rarely have a putt outside of 40 feet or so. However, as I get better at driving and potentially reaching some of the longer holes with my drive, and have 50-60 footers...I focus more on spin putting because that's what helps my scoring.

A big game changer for me was realizing there is no such thing as putting in disc golf and that it's actually a short throw and you want to aim for and hit the pole. I don't think about mechanics at all or "putting" style, I just throw the disc at the pole and let my body's natural athletic motion do the work.

I agree.

To the best of my knowledge, the term putting comes from ball golf. It is a specific stroke type that a player uses and there are just minor variations such as club speed. I'm not aware of BG players changing their putt from hole to hole.

In DG, the "putt" can be altered based on the elements around the basket. The stagger/straddle/kneeling and the spin/push/spush/turbo. Anything that isn't a drop in is a throw of some sort and subject to the conditions around the pin

I've been thinking about the difference between practice and play. I've been throwing a lot of putts over the past year in my backyard. I'll get comfortable and feel that I'm dialed in. I'll do the same before a round on the practice basket at the course. Get a little rhythm going and feel like today is going to be a good day on the green.

FAIL!

Putting is one and done for that throw. I'm trying to figure out how to emulate that in a practice scenario without it taking hours to do a few putts.

I've been thinking about the difference between practice and play. I've been throwing a lot of putts over the past year in my backyard. I'll get comfortable and feel that I'm dialed in. I'll do the same before a round on the practice basket at the course. Get a little rhythm going and feel like today is going to be a good day on the green.

FAIL!

Putting is one and done for that throw. I'm trying to figure out how to emulate that in a practice scenario without it taking hours to do a few putts.

I think the honest answer is that you can't. It's the same reason poor free throw shooters can sit there and dump in 90% in practice, and 50% in a game. You can't reasonably emulate the same conditions. At least for me, practicing putting is less about whether I make or miss them, and more about trying to build muscle memory. A putt that goes in that I short-arm is bad...I want the memory there so that I don't have to think about it on the course.

The closest I've come is doing putting competitions with friends...because I'm competitive and care about winning those. Or playing some sort of game with myself where I have to make 10/10, or 9/10, whatever from a certain distance. I feel a bit of the same pressure on the last putt if I know I need it to move back a distance...especially if it's a distance I normally can't make the required # from.

I think the honest answer is that you can't. It's the same reason poor free throw shooters can sit there and dump in 90% in practice, and 50% in a game. You can't reasonably emulate the same conditions. At least for me, practicing putting is less about whether I make or miss them, and more about trying to build muscle memory. A putt that goes in that I short-arm is bad...I want the memory there so that I don't have to think about it on the course.

The closest I've come is doing putting competitions with friends...because I'm competitive and care about winning those. Or playing some sort of game with myself where I have to make 10/10, or 9/10, whatever from a certain distance. I feel a bit of the same pressure on the last putt if I know I need it to move back a distance...especially if it's a distance I normally can't make the required # from.

When I was still improving I used to force myself to make 10 in a row from whatever distance before ceasing a practice session. Once you have flubbed it a few times and the rest of the family has already had dinner the pressure is real...

Putting is difficult. So is picking your "preferred" way of putting. Notice I said "preferred". That's because one type of putting doesn't work in all situations. There's different length putts (would you putt the same way from one foot as you do from 5 feet?), there's wind, there can be obstacles.

For me, when I'm arms reach from the basket, I just drop the disc in.
arms reach to 20 feet - push putt
20 foot to 35 foot - spin putt
35 and out - lay up.

Short obstacles in the way or an elevated basket - turbo putt

I took one type of disc (Legacy Clutch) and putted from 15 feet to my practice basket.
50 times push putting - 25 staggered and 25 straddle
50 times spin putting - 25 staggered and 25 straddle
25 times turbo putting
That gave me an idea of what worked best for me. Then I tried different putters to see if a different one was better, I still use the Clutch for everything but turbo putting...I found a heavier putter (Axiom Envy) worked better.

I think everyone should have that one distance they are accurate from and do the majority of their practice from. At the Las Vegas Challenge, it was mentioned in the Jomez video that Gannon Buhr only practices putting from 30 feet. That is his "go-to" distance.

Once you know your "go-to" putting distance and the putting style that works from there, you can adjust for different distances/conditions.

Anyways...I kind of rambled on...but, putting is very individualistic....ask 100 people on this forum about putting and you'll probably get 100 different answers.

FAIL!

I think making stations around your practice basket, each at a different distance (maybe an obstacle or two, dependent upon your backyard) Setting out a handful of putters at each, moving station to station, settling in and putting once, move along. Vary your station order. This is practice at setting a preshot routine, resetting your concentration and envisioning the shot needed. It will take more time than slamming 25 putts from one spot, but it can develop some additional skills that translate more closely to course play.

FAIL!

Could you install an alligator pit in your backyard to add some pressure to the putt?

@txmxer

I struggle with the same thing, I bet we all do.

When we practice, it's like our brains fill some sort of memory cache, after all those reps, with all the subtle feedback from those many putts.

Then on the green, we step up to a putt with an empty cache. Never mind the pressure/anxiety factors of it 'counting'. I'm talkin just the sheer abruptness of 'ok, time for all this putting stuff I've practiced to happen--ready GO'.

How can one minimize that 'empty cache' aspect we have on the green?

The first idea that comes to mind is to practice with greater frequency throughout the day/week, but only one putt. Not super time-efficient, but it's something. Maybe every 15 minutes go out back (for me in the basement) and throw one. Maybe not even throw a second one, idk.

The other mental idea that comes to mind is to do a lot of practice at the range you expect to make about 80% or so of your putts so that over time the exact stroke becomes very very second nature as something you could do whenever. Instead of being equally proficient at all the distances. For me there's subtle differences at that distance and about 3 feet farther away--more lower body, different release trajectory, etc. But use that anchor distance as a sort of base camp reference for the putts on the green. For example, if that anchor distance is 23', and you have a 28' putt, try to bring that 23' stroke to front of mind, but say to yourself 'ok, just a tad more juice than that'.

Just throwing out ideas, maybe they help, maybe not.

If terrain/elevation is a factor at the course, it's always good to spend the pre-round practice putts on the extremes.

As far as the mental aspect of it...good luck, right? I looked into centering a bit, not sure how much it helps, but maybe it does...

https://bulletproofmusician.com/how-to-make-performance-anxiety-an-asset-instead-of-a-liability/

For me what has really started to help is to putt for maybe 10-15 min per any one go plus adding variability in everything from wrist angle to deep straddle stance, putting between branches etc. What has happened isi that I get alot more confident in that I know what I need to do for different scenarios.

Also having a stack of 6-10 putters is pretty nice to say to myself "You need to get everyone in one go" then the as you make them the pressure builds to not miss.

The other mental idea that comes to mind is to do a lot of practice at the range you expect to make about 80% or so of your putts so that over time the exact stroke becomes very very second nature as something you could do whenever. Instead of being equally proficient at all the distances. For me there's subtle differences at that distance and about 3 feet farther away--more lower body, different release trajectory, etc. But use that anchor distance as a sort of base camp reference for the putts on the green. For example, if that anchor distance is 23', and you have a 28' putt, try to bring that 23' stroke to front of mind, but say to yourself 'ok, just a tad more juice than that'.

I'm a big believer in this. I know some people will say to practice putting where you start to struggle. I believe seeing putts go in makes you a better putter. The more confident you are that you will make it means you're more likely to throw it at the target (as opposed to lofting it because you're scared of a comeback putt, etc). I basically have 2 types of putting practice. Type 1 is muscle memory. Pick the distance I feel comfortable making 70-80% of my putts. I want to see putts go in, I want to focus on the form. Type 2 is just dialing in other lengths in relation to my putter. How much is my putter going to break left? How much is my putter going to drop? One of the things that's helped me the most about this is that throwing most of my putts from one distance has helped me really recognize that distance on the course. Helps me mentally adjust to what I need to do from that distance. I didn't have that recognition nearly as well when I was throwing from 15-50 jumping around all the time.

thank you everyone. love this community.

I narrowed it down to a few players' styles I enjoy watching and practiced all day and filmed myself from multiple angles. funny what my head thinks I'm doing and what I am actually doing lol.

I agree with all comments that are telling me it's most important to get reps. I just want to first pick at least something close to what I predict I'll end up with (start with the end in mind - some productivity guru said that once).

The plan for now is to keep practicing a few different styles and narrow down and just pick by the end of next week and roll with it all year.

I am super conflicted and want to nail down a putting style and stick with it. Every time I watch a pro push video I'm convinced that's the best style...then I see a splush or a spin and am again convinced. lol.

I want to pick something and stick with it so I can spend this year practicing and getting better and stop bouncing around.

How do I choose?

Don't. There's really no "ultimate putt" and chances are, as you'll learn, you'll switch between styles (spin/spush/push) just depending on distance and wind (spin does better in wind, push has advantages on consistent aim for some, spush is just a hybrid). And you're probably gonna end up just liking one better - you can only find that out with practice.

Just like there is no ultimate disc, just a disc appropriate to your specific situation. These putts are similar enough that it's not time wasted, they work somewhat similar muscles.

So practice both. Down the line you might pick a specific one. What you use in Circle 2 can be different from Circle 1 (or other distance break).

For a beginning player, you'll want to nail down your Circle 1 putting first though. Just throw 10 putts from 20 feet and see which style feels best. I should add, for some people like me, it took a while to get the muscle to do a half-decent push putt at distance, you might have it right off the bat.

Scott Stokely goes over some things that is not mentioned in most putting and isn't specific to a style, he's been teaching a long time unlike most players. So he knows how students think and common pitfalls more than just an average discgolf pro starting to teach. I find him much more helpful than the average youtuber, he talks about stuff I don't think about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf9lyC1tago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBIhHYMNwLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnGOYU15zXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKgE6q0YKC8

In my humble opinion, one must be reasonably proficient with all types of putting styles, as one never knows what type of obstacles one may be faced with. If you only play one course your entire disc golf life, that may not apply. If you are like most discers, playing new courses is exciting and challenging.

In my time throwing plastic, I've used multiple styles. Inside the circle I push putt. Outside the circle I generally spin putt. From longer distances I've been working on my Jump/Step putt. If you are stuck behind a tree, you will more than likely be forced to straddle putt, to avoid the tree in front of you. In gusting winds, spin putts work better for me. The point is you have to be able to make the putt or land it so close you won't miss the next one.

Practice, practice, practice....I have a stack of 40 putters and throw three sets of putts on days that I don't go to the course to play. I don't like picking up the discs so, over time I have acquired a lot of different putters. That way I can throw 40 putts without having to stop and pick them up. This helps a lot in developing muscle memory. Inside 20 feet, I rarely miss. At 25 feet I am about 80%. At 30 feet that number drops to less than 60%.
With that being said, I do nearly all my practice putting from 30 feet, until I eventually get that number up to 80% or better, at that point I will back up another 5 feet and work on that until I figure it out. If you throw thousands of putts, you will figure out what works best for you.

I watch a lot of tutorial videos, and use what I can from them. I also watch nearly every Pro tournament, to see how the big dogs approach their game. If you are trying to emulate someone else's style, that is fine, but it may not work best for you. i.e. trying to putt like Matty O or Emerson Keith is not going to be an easy feat to accomplish.

Keep at it, practice makes one less imperfect.

In my humble opinion, one must be reasonably proficient with all types of putting styles, as one never knows what type of obstacles one may be faced with.

This ^^^^ Yesterday, I played a course where I had to stagger putt (normal putt), straddle putt, and on one hole, Turbo Putt.

I might have to straddle putt once a round. And a lot of times, that putt is still fairly obstructed. So lets say that I go from making 2 out of 10 straddle putts to 5 out of 10 straddle putts. That's .3 strokes per round.

I feel like I'm much better served working on strategy, normal putting, approaches, distance, hitting gaps, step out forehands, patent pending shots, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Latest posts