• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definition of the word Stable

Stable

• Total voters
See now this statement only makes sense to me if you have a really beat in straight to understable firebird and an overstable teebird. But your statement to me says that a firebird will stay straighter longer then a teebird and I dont quite agree with that.

Yeah, you're looking at the word stable to mean straight, and my whole argument is that discs don't have absolute flight characteristics. You can only compare them to each other on a spectrum. See like the incredible hulk would not find any discs that are "stable" in the straight sense, but he would find some discs more stable than others, as in "more resistant to turning over."

The way I'm trying to explain this is also consistent with the way nearly every pro player talks. When they say that something is stable, they don't mean it flies dead straight almost ever. They are saying that it wont turn over easily. That's what a "super stable" disc would mean. You could call it overstable, and I'd know what you mean, but overstable is only going to be relative to how much power you have, and it doesn't tell me anything about the disc. My 5 year old daughter finds the Comet to be pretty overstable.

Yeah, you're looking at the word stable to mean straight, and my whole argument is that discs don't have absolute flight characteristics. You can only compare them to each other on a spectrum. See like the incredible hulk would not find any discs that are "stable" in the straight sense, but he would find some discs more stable than others, as in "more resistant to turning over."

The way I'm trying to explain this is also consistent with the way nearly every pro player talks. When they say that something is stable, they don't mean it flies dead straight almost ever. They are saying that it wont turn over easily. That's what a "super stable" disc would mean. You could call it overstable, and I'd know what you mean, but overstable is only going to be relative to how much power you have, and it doesn't tell me anything about the disc. My 5 year old daughter finds the Comet to be pretty overstable.

I understand the argument you are making but using an outlier like the Hulk and your daughter to define a whole category shouldnt be done imo. And I have a different perspective then you do when it come to pros using the word stable. Most I know and have talked to dont use the word stable to mean overstable.

Resistance to turn and fading out of your hand immediately (or excessive fade in general) aren't the same.

The Hulk would find some discs more OVER*stable than others.

Yeah but Hulk smashes drives, his putting needs some work though.

I understand the argument you are making but using an outlier like the Hulk and your daughter to define a whole category shouldnt be done imo. And I have a different perspective then you do when it come to pros using the word stable. Most I know and have talked to dont use the word stable to mean overstable.

But those outliers are only there to illustrate a general point that there aren't discs that are truly stable, in the straight sense. When pros say stable, in my experience they are only using that word to compare discs relative to each other. Like "this is more stable than this," which is to say that it is more resistant to turn.

I teach physics for a living, so the approach that I take is just what I feel is the most meaningful way to describe flight characteristics which are actually fairly complex and unpredictable. I can't learn anything by you telling me that a Teebird is overstable, because I don't know anything else about how you throw. I COULD make some assumptions if you tell me that your Teebird is more stable than your Sidewinder. Regardless of how much power you happen to have, that comparison should mostly always hold true.

Stable, understable, overstable.....who cares? How does the disc fly for me at this moment? That's what's important to me. Change elevation (like from Phoenix to Denver) and the disc will fly differently. Bang the disc around and it will fly differently. All that is important is how is it going to fly when I throw it.

Resistance to turn and fading out of your hand immediately (or excessive fade in general) aren't the same.

The Hulk would find some discs more OVER*stable than others.

They would all be UNDERstable. All discs are actually UNDERstable. Straight doesn't exist.

They would all be UNDERstable. All discs are actually UNDERstable. Straight doesn't exist.

Does overstable exist? It has to if understable does...

EDIT: orrrr...he would in this absurd analogy find some discs less understable or more understable. None stable.

Just use more or less stable like everyone else.

No.

Use more over or under stable like everyone should. It's not difficult.

You won't convince me, I doubt our conversation should continue.

EDIT: Is a Teebird more stable than an Eagle?

Last edited:
I have never called a disc more stable and you can be sure that I never will as more stable doesn't exist.

You are correct that A disc cannot be more stable because to use the word 'more' it infers there are two entities involved. In this case I would guess two discs. But the funny thing is, as soon as you 'bring in the other disc' into the discussion, the disc that more people call 'more stable' actually ends up being not so, as in: people will say "A Nuke OS is more stable than a Destroyer". This in fact though is wrong - as the D is 'closer' to "stable" (neutral) than the N. Oddly though, on the 'other side of the spectrum' this is not the case - as when people say a D5 is less stable than a D4 they are correct!
Weird choice of words....

No.

Use more over or under stable like everyone should. It's not difficult.

You won't convince me, I doubt our conversation should continue.

EDIT: Is a Teebird more stable than an Eagle?

On average the EX mold is more stable. The EL is less stable then the Teebird. (normal golf talk lingo)

What if the disc you are describing is Straight as you would use "Stable"? What direction are you going? It's unclear and confusing to the reader. When you write or peak you want to clearly get your message across. Not confuse them.

Use "More stable" fades harder/sooner/or more resistant to turn.
Use "Less stable" Fades less/later/or turns more, etc.

CHART

Most stable .......................................................................... Least stable

FAF Firebird/ Banshee/ Eagle X/ Teebird/ TL/ EL/ Leopard/ Sidewinder/ RR

Using your lingo, which is straighter/most stable a TL or EL? I can't answer that even. If I can't even answer a question for myself how is anyone else suppose to answer it either?

Latest posts